3 weeks until the draft lottery

pi2000

I like that they do the lottery immediately after the season ends. Gives us something to get excited about I guess.

At the conclusion of the regular season, the 14 NHL teams not qualifying for the playoffs are entered in a weighted lottery to determine the initial draft picks in the first round, seeded according to regular season standing. The 30th-place team has the best chance of winning the lottery (25%) while the 29th-place team has a 18.8% chance of winning, with odds diminishing to a 0.5% chance for the 17th-place team. A single selection from the lottery pool is made, with the winning team improving its draft position to the number 1 spot, and no team dropping more than one place.

Very true, but I'm hoping we save our lottery mojo for next year.

We should blow our mojo all over this draft.

And then blow it all over the next one too.

We've earned it. We've earned it hard.

It's a conspiracy in favor of Buffalo. We get Reinhart and McDavid for sure, but we had to give PLF back to the league.

Supplemental conspiracy: we sent PLF to infiltrate the league and fix the draft in our favor. Hardest tank imaginable.

I have a feeling we win the lottery. The league hates the Sabres so there's no chance we win it next year. So to make it look not too obvious we win it this year in a much lesser draft. Then if anyone says anything the league can say look, the Sabres picked 1st in 2014.

I have a feeling we win the lottery. The league hates the Sabres so there's no chance we win it next year. So to make it look not too obvious we win it this year in a much lesser draft. Then if anyone says anything the league can say look, the Sabres picked 1st in 2014.

This is where I'm at. This is also why I hope Pegula bribes the hell out of the league next year.

Edited by ubkev

I'll take Reinhart and eichel! Sign me up

We should blow our mojo all over this draft.

And then blow it all over the next one too.

We've earned it. We've earned it hard.

For as bad as this season has been, it's worth pointing out that in my cursory glance at the last full seasons, the last place team finished with 57, 56, 71, 61, 62, 62, and 65 points (last year projects to 61.5). With 11 games remaining and at 48 points, the Sabres stand a chance at not being the worst team in the last decade, never mind "WURST TEAM EVAR!". Essentially, every year there's a team that is this bad. This is just our turn to root for that team.

Fun facts about the draft lottery

A) The worst team has won the draft lottery 7/19 times, or 37%, since it's inception in 1995.

B) The best team (standings wise for that season) to ever win the lottery was the San Jose Sharks in 1998. The Shakrs, at 78 points and sitting 16th in the league, won the lottery from the last placed Lightening who had 44 points. Yet, " San Jose was selected in the 1998 drawing, but Tampa Bay held the right to swap first round picks with the Sharks and exercised that right to go to first"

C) The first 5 years of the draft held some high variance. Since the 1998 draft, the Top pick has always landed in the bottom 5 teams with one exception, the 2011 Draft where the Oiler's finished last but lost out to the 23rd place Devils. The Devils had some special circumstance and were not allowed to take the pick though

D) Since the 1998 draft, the 3rd worse team is 29% likely to win the draft lottery

>Sorry about that, the nhl.com standings got me mixed up, all fixed though

Here's the list of winners and the worst teams in a given season http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=18342

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.