OT - NCAA Frozen Four

IKnowPhysics

The brackets for the NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Championship are set!

2014-ncaa-hockey-bracket.png

The final rankings were:

2l9h6hd.jpg

The printable bracket is here: http://i.turner.ncaa...men_d1_2013.pdf

A loose breakdown is here (w/ vid): http://espn.go.com/c...-college-hockey

Lots of great first round matchups and lots of great college hockey on ESPN networks.

Minnesota, who is ranked 1 going into the national tournament bracket, lost to Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament, allowing Union to finish #1 in the polls.

Also, some all-important women's college hockey news:

After going 38-2-1 and winning the last two national titles, the Minnesota women's team was STUNNED in the NCAA Championship FInal by Clarkson: http://www.startribu.../251795151.html

...Clarkson broke a third-period tie with two goals, including a spectacular breakaway by Shannon MacAulay, and held on for a 5-4 triumph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepO9Pq4iNI

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Denver @ BC and ND @ Wisconsin are going to be absolutely dynamite games.

Denver, after sneaking into the tournament by winning the NCHC Tournament but only posting a 10-11-3 conference record, might get rocked playing BC's high-power offense on almost home ice in Worcester, but Denver's a proud organization with a lot of history and may not fall easily.

North Dakota and Wisconsin are old WCHA rivals that haven't seen each other yet this year. Wisconsin, like Minnesota, is rocking the first season of Big Ten Hockey, as North Dakota reigns over the NCHC with St Cloud.

How much better would Vermont be if Girgs didn't choose to go pro?

I was pondering that myself. A: Maybe quite a bit. High draft picks like him, even as freshmen, can be game-breakers on college ice. Dany Heatley (3rd overall) posted 113 points in 77 games over two seasons for Wisconsin. They went from from 4th in the conference (13-12-3) before he arrived to Conference champions (25-3-0) his freshman year.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I'm a Union season ticket holder...we're all thrilled at the #1 ranking, but we also know it means nothing. The results on the ice are the only ones that matter.

Dave Starman picked us to win the thing, playing Wisconsin in the final. I like Dave, but I don't know if that's a jinx...at least it wasn't Barry Melrose (who watches college hockey twice a year, if that).

I think BC is the team to watch for, as long as they don't have to play Notre Dame. :P

Jake McCabe-Brad Navin and Wisconsin - Midwest Regional - U.S. Bank Arena, Cincinnati, Ohio

Friday, March 28 - 8:00 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - No. 1 Wisconsin (24-10-2) vs. No. 4 North Dakota (23-13-3)

Hudson Fasching-Christian Isackson and Minnesota - Northeast Regional - DCU Center, Worcester, Massachusetts.

Saturday, March 29 - 7:30 pm ET - ESPN3/WatchESPN - No. 2 UMass-Lowell (25-10-4) vs. No. 3 Minnesota State-Mankato (26-13-1)

Anthony Florentino-Mark Adams and Providence - East Regional, March 28-29 - Webster Bank Arena, Bridgeport, Connecticut.

Friday, March 28 - 5:30 pm ET - ESPNU/WatchESPN - No. 2 Quinnipiac (24-9-6) vs. No. 3 Providence (21-10-6)

I wish they would add more teams to this tournament. I wish this tournament had play-in games such as basketball. Cornell vs. Robert Morris and Michigan vs. Colgate in play-in. Or something like that. I just feel too many good teams each year are left out.

I agree. Consolation: the conference tournaments are play-in games, in a way; the conference tournament champions get automatic bids. See: Denver.

I wish they would add more teams to this tournament. I wish this tournament had play-in games such as basketball. Cornell vs. Robert Morris and Michigan vs. Colgate in play-in. Or something like that. I just feel too many good teams each year are left out.

I could get on board with a larger field and extended tournament. Not as large as basketball obviously, but larger is better.

Bah. Canisius should've beaten Robert Morris except their goaltender forgot how to stop a puck in the third period.

16 out of 59 total teams isn't too bad really. That's over a quarter of the total teams making the field. Does anyone know what that rate is for bouncyball?

And by the way, Northeastern would have gotten the nod ahead of Cornell if they had some sort of play in game. And North Dakota would get pulled into it before Colgate. Hell, Colgate's a 3 seed in this one.

16 out of 59 total teams isn't too bad really. That's over a quarter of the total teams making the field. Does anyone know what that rate is for bouncyball?

And by the way, Northeastern would have gotten the nod ahead of Cornell if they had some sort of play in game. And North Dakota would get pulled into it before Colgate. Hell, Colgate's a 3 seed in this one.

didn't realize that. wow.

68 out of 349 teams make the dance.

68 out of 349 teams make the dance.

So under 20%. Thanks. I seem to remember hearing something about their being a maximum percentage of teams allowed in a post-season tourney by the NCAA. I have no idea if that is legit or not, but it could limit any additions to the hockey field.

Anyway, by adding more teams, they'd cheapen the conference titles even more than they already are. It already sucks seeing a team get bounced in the quarterfinals and then winding up as a #1 seed, but that seems to happen on an annual basis now.

So under 20%. Thanks. I seem to remember hearing something about their being a maximum percentage of teams allowed in a post-season tourney by the NCAA. I have no idea if that is legit or not, but it could limit any additions to the hockey field.

Anyway, by adding more teams, they'd cheapen the conference titles even more than they already are. It already sucks seeing a team get bounced in the quarterfinals and then winding up as a #1 seed, but that seems to happen on an annual basis now.

agreed, I'd like to see hockey move to giving the conference champions seeds 1-6 (so the 4 1's and the 2's that get paired with the 3rd and 4th 1's).

agreed, I'd like to see hockey move to giving the conference champions seeds 1-6 (so the 4 1's and the 2's that get paired with the 3rd and 4th 1's).

As long as Atlantic Hockey exists, they cannot give conference champions the top 6 seeds. I'm not quite sold on the NCHC either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.