Buffalo HAS to bring in 1 leader for next year (with talent)

CallawaySabres

I'd be on board with that.

I'd be on board for that too, but what I'm saying is the guys that people are naming won't sign up for it. The players have a say in where they play, just because a team wants to sign him to a HUGE contract doesn't mean the player wants to willingly waste 3 years of their career with no chance at a cup. If Ott or Calahan or whoever is willing to do it, GREAT, but don't get mad when it doesn't happen. It probably isn't Tim Murray's fault if a guy like that doesn't get signed this year, the players and agents get final say.

You let them develop outside of the NHL and mature there, which I think is what Murray plans on doing. And Edmonton had some veteran leadership (Ryan Smyth, anyone?)...but what they didn't do is let the kids play out their junior career to mature, or construct a roster with responsible two-way forwards to surround them with, or acquire any good defensemen, or even an average goaltender. I'm not in favor of icing a team with an average age of 19, but there's many more reasons Edmonton failed than lack of veterans.

Absolutely. You want to talk about a team that has no plan, it's Edmonton. At least we have a plan.

how can you start/teach a winning culture when your trying not to win and accept losing?

whats the vet going to tell them, "Its ok that you guys keep losing and can't get a win, look to the bright side, McDavid will soon be here to save all of you!"

Another option is to keep as many players with eligibility in Rochester for another year. Let them develop team chemistry and learn winning ways there.

You're twisting this. You can't build a culture of winning without first having a culture of competition and mentoring. Your culture of winning will come from this. It's not something you pull out of thin air and say "well we're going to be winners now!".

how am I twisting it, if the intention from teh front office is to field a team bad enough to get the #1 overall pick, they can't do that with a team whos goal is to go out and win games. you try and bring in the vets to mentor the players and help them win. You can't have it both ways where you expect them to teach the kids how to win, while being so bad that they are a shoe-in for the top pick. Players aren't going to learn how to win by losing to get a saviour

Absolutely. You want to talk about a team that has no plan, it's Edmonton. At least we have a plan.

Edmontons problems aren't because of a lack of leadership, its a lack of defence and goaltending (which may have improved now, or atleast looks like it could)

They focused on building their team with flashy goal scoring forwards, and neglected other parts of the team (defence and goaltending). They could have all the best motivators/teacher veterans on the team and its still not going to make up for no defence and below average goaltending.

Another option is to keep as many players with eligibility in Rochester for another year. Let them develop team chemistry and learn winning ways there.

Sure, that would help, but they still have to field an NHL team, and those players still have to come up and figure out how to play in the NHL sometime

You let them develop outside of the NHL and mature there, which I think is what Murray plans on doing. And Edmonton had some veteran leadership (Ryan Smyth, anyone?)...but what they didn't do is let the kids play out their junior career to mature, or construct a roster with responsible two-way forwards to surround them with, or acquire any good defensemen, or even an average goaltender. I'm not in favor of icing a team with an average age of 19, but there's many more reasons Edmonton failed than lack of veterans.

Sure that's a big part of it. I still think having veteran leadership through the tough times, whether they've paid their dues in juniors or AHL, plays a significant role when players get to the NHL level. I don't think Ryan Smith is comparable to Steve Ott or Ryan Callahan. I think if Edmonton had a better core of veterans when they were making all these early 1st round picks, they might not be so bad. Now I think some of these guys are damaged goods because of the team's long term failuers.

I'd be on board for that too, but what I'm saying is the guys that people are naming won't sign up for it. The players have a say in where they play, just because a team wants to sign him to a HUGE contract doesn't mean the player wants to willingly waste 3 years of their career with no chance at a cup. If Ott or Calahan or whoever is willing to do it, GREAT, but don't get mad when it doesn't happen. It probably isn't Tim Murray's fault if a guy like that doesn't get signed this year, the players and agents get final say.

I made this post about a month ago. It still applies even though Moulson and Ott are gone.

Besides the fact that somebody already mentioned they want to stay, some players might prefer a role on a team like BFLO. Teams don't stay successful forever, if they bolt for a better team there is a chance they might be in a downfall. Here, they've already hit rock bottom. Guys like Moulson and Ott know that they will be THE key guys in this team moving forward. Here, they will be in the limelight. On other teams they may just be another player on that team. I just don't see why some people get the impression that players wouldn't come (or stay) to/in BFLO if their lives depended on it. Personally, I'd rather be a part of a team that has nowhere to go but up, with an owner and management that will do anything to make it happen. I'd rather be a part of a team that wins a Cup knowing that I had a lot to do with it, rather than coming over as a rental. If I were in my mid to late 30's it might be a different story. But if I still had 7-10 years left in my career...... no.

i'm dumb apparently and can't figure out the "multiquote" feature...

anyway... replying to JJFIVEOH from above... I can understand what you are saying and would be totally fine with Ott or Moulson coming back and playing for us... Moulson has 6-10 years left, your point makes sense. The way Ott plays, I'm not sure if he has that many years left... I hope he does but "running into a brick wall" 8+ times a night shortens the career, and he can't rely on his hands to stick around (like the Jagr type). The next contract Ott gets is probably his last, I could be wrong (i hope I am), so I don't know if he is OK with signing up with a team that will be ready to make a real run at the Cup when he is either in his last year or will get cut. Like I said, i hope I'm wrong and we get these guys and still suck for two years and then in 3-5 yrs, Ott's name is on the Cup just below the words Buffalo Sabres.

But just for my own emotional rollercoaster sanity, i'm going in like these types of signings won't happen this year.

i'm dumb apparently and can't figure out the "multiquote" feature...

anyway... replying to JJFIVEOH from above... I can understand what you are saying and would be totally fine with Ott or Moulson coming back and playing for us... Moulson has 6-10 years left, your point makes sense. The way Ott plays, I'm not sure if he has that many years left... I hope he does but "running into a brick wall" 8+ times a night shortens the career, and he can't rely on his hands to stick around (like the Jagr type). The next contract Ott gets is probably his last, I could be wrong (i hope I am), so I don't know if he is OK with signing up with a team that will be ready to make a real run at the Cup when he is either in his last year or will get cut. Like I said, i hope I'm wrong and we get these guys and still suck for two years and then in 3-5 yrs, Ott's name is on the Cup just below the words Buffalo Sabres.

But just for my own emotional rollercoaster sanity, i'm going in like these types of signings won't happen this year.

I've got a feeling they won't happen either, at least with the UFA's that just recently got traded.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

The best course of action is to take all the names listed thus far in this thread, write them on a sheet of paper than take that paper crumble it up and toss it in the trash.

The Sabres are at the early stages of rebuilding, there is no need to fill the roster with over paid or over the hill vets. The Sabres need to be focused on the draft. The only way the Sabres should even consider bringing a "vet" is the way they did it with Stewart. Find a player with term and age that fits into what you are trying to build and trade for them.

Edited by deluca67

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.