UFA Market: Anyone Returning?

Doohickie

Chances are no, not a single one of the UFAs we traded away this year will return. No matter where a player is before he gets traded, or lands after he gets traded, he always makes a remark to the effect that is right where he wants to be (except for the occasional guy that lobbies for a trade because he doesn't like where he's at). But barring those exceptional cases, most players will public support their current employer, whoever that happens to be at the moment.

That said, about the only guy that left this year that really wasn't happy was Vanek. Ott, Miller, Moulson, all made remarks to the effect that they enjoyed their time in Buffalo and up until getting traded mentioned the prospect of re-signing with the team. Do you think any of them meant it, or is that the last we'll see of them? On the minus side, they know the Sabres are at least a season or two from being competitive. On the plus side, they know the city, they said they liked it in Buffalo, and they have the measure of Tim Murray and his vision. They also know there's money to be spent just to get to the salary floor. Do you think any of them will look a the positives and decide it's worth a second tour of duty in the Tank Command?

I once thought Ott may be re-signed as an UFA, but I think that may be unlikely now. He's buddies with several guys on the Blues, and Miller could very well sign there. They're contenders, or this close to being contenders.

Moulson could sign here, perhaps. It's hard to tell if these guys are sincere when they talk to the media, because one day he's saying he really likes it in Buffalo, and then he's traded and seems pretty happy to have been traded.

I think it might be more productive to identify the UFAs league-wide, and maybe anyone who can be tendered an offer-sheet. GoDD has a pretty competent list in another thread somewhere.

Yep. They'll always tell the media that "I'm so happy to be playing here on this team." I kind of think the only way we see Miller back is if he wins the Cup and decides the only way that would be better would be to bring that experience to the Sabres and win it for Buffalo. Pretty much a fantasy I know, but it's all I got right now besides watching the Blues.

I think if ever the chances are better for Moulson because I think he is more likely a rental player than Ott.

You can argue it in both ways.

a) players will always say they like it here

b) players will also always say they are happy and excited to be traded to this new team.

Whatever is true we dont know. Maybe both but I think the chances for Moulson are maybe 35% for Ott maybe 10% that they will sign here in the summer. Ted Nolan could really become a factor and whoever we draft in the 2014 draft.

I could still see Ott coming back. If he wins a cup in St. Louis I think all bets are off. It will come down to what his family wants to do as well. I would say between 25-35% shot at that. I don't think Moulson will be back unfortunately. Which is a shame, but he's going to be able to go whereever he wants. Any roster would love to have him including NYI back in the fray.

Edited by TheCerebral1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.