Nearly 3 week Hockey drought coming up

Jsixspd

Agreed. I'd think the people complaining are the ones that like a ton of hitting, fighting, and 2-1 games. The Olympics are almost like an all-star game but the players care and play hard; that's some good stuff. I just wish I had some sort of DVR/cable to record the games.

Right and the bigger ice surface = more TiMe AnD SpACe. I haven't watched much international play, I wonder how they'll call interference. Hopefully closer to 05-06 than today.

If NBC is smart they'll have it available online to stream after the game.

Who wants to watch all the best hockey players in the world compete for a gold medal, who wants to see players bringing everything to the table for a 3 week tourney to prove to the world that they are the best? I don't know about you guys, but anytime I see that red and white on the ice I get all warm and fuzzy! I'm looking forward to the olympics alot! Some great rivalries and the next time we get to see this caliber of hockey is in another 4 years. I can look past all the hype and see it for what it really is. The greatest game ever played, played by the best players in the world! Go Canada go!!!! Also cheering for USA!(just a little bit less)

enjoy everyone, the time is near, grab a beer, cheers

I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.sochi2014...ule-and-results

I think they are 9 hours ahead of us, so most games will be early AM for us on EST.

The biggest challenge is going to be staying off twitter/Internet.

This is my only beef... I'd love to watch, but the time difference (and the tendency of NBC to jump through highlights of multiple live events vs airing one in its entirety in the early stages) makes it difficult to follow along. Should be a lot more entertaining and competitive than most of the Sabres games this season, though!

Olympic hockey is awesome. All you curmudgeons need to get off your salty high horse and just enjoy some good hockey. It's fun. This whole myth about pros ruining is just that, a myth. Back when it was amateurs only, the United States was the only country to use only amateurs. That's why the "Miracle" was what it was; American amateurs beating Russian pros.

As for the three week drought, we're workin' on a six year hockey drought here in Buffalo. I'll gladly take a three week vacay from this mess.

<Alex Trebek voice> No, I'm sorry; that's incorrect.

There were and are other professional leagues than the NHL.

Not in Russia there werent. The best Russian players were on that 1980 team.

The KHL formed in 2008, the superleague in 1999. The Russian team comprised of all "professionals" their oldest player in 1980 was 35 years old. Ours was 25.

Edited by FolignosJock

I'm also old enough to have seen all amateur Olympics before it got hijacked by the professionals and the commercials.

Spare me these NHL players who long for a gold medal. Soulless robots. Pros in the Olympics is a sell-out and not what the Olympics were intended.

The only thing that should matter to these NHL millionaires is a Stanley Cup. Screw a gold medal, Players should have their chance when they were pre-NHL. I'm going to miss hockey but not that phony spectacle of the Olympics. My only hope is for no terror. I don't care if the US comes in last. The Olympics are dead to me.

Well at least the next 3 weeks the quality of hockey is going to be better around Bflo.

OP and two others said they like the Olympics less with pros involved. I think there is some misreading of sarcasm if it feels like more feel that way.

I'm also old enough to have seen all amateur Olympics before it got hijacked by the professionals and the commercials.

Spare me these NHL players who long for a gold medal. Soulless robots. Pros in the Olympics is a sell-out and not what the Olympics were intended.

The only thing that should matter to these NHL millionaires is a Stanley Cup. Screw a gold medal, Players should have their chance when they were pre-NHL. I'm going to miss hockey but not that phony spectacle of the Olympics. My only hope is for no terror. I don't care if the US comes in last. The Olympics are dead to me.

Well at least the next 3 weeks the quality of hockey is going to be better around Bflo.

I stand corrected.

Well, I would say that America has a huge advantage now in basketball, with the megastar commercial pros playing, instead of the collegiates and such in Olympics past. Real exciting stuff watching, for example, a Charles Barkley throw a cheap elbow at some Angolan amateur.

Well, I would say that America has a huge advantage now in basketball, with the megastar commercial pros playing, instead of the collegiates and such in Olympics past. Real exciting stuff watching, for example, a Charles Barkley throw a cheap elbow at some Angolan amateur.

http://youtu.be/PDeYi1j7qLs

They're playing again tonight at the FNC.

Not in Russia there werent. The best Russian players were on that 1980 team.

The KHL formed in 2008, the superleague in 1999. The Russian team comprised of all "professionals" their oldest player in 1980 was 35 years old. Ours was 25.

Being offline for a couple days, I've lost track of this. But my main point there were Russian pro teams from at least the 70s on, and those teams were plenty good enough to hang with NHL teams of the era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_Series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Series_%2776

The US has no more of an advantage in basketball than Canada does in hockey. We almost lost to Spain in the last gold medal game.

And the mid-winter NHL drought hath begun.... not much to discuss for a few weeks. :(

I hate it.

09-10: Olympic break

10-11: Waiting for Terry

11-12: Disaster

12-13: Lockout

13-14: Hindenburg. Olympic break

It's like our hockey circadian rhythm is all out of wack.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.