GDT: Buffalo at Toronto 11-16-13 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

Regarding Scott, he a player who in entire nhl career has one goal, but am willing to give he a Nolan a shot to work together. No doubt Scott a large and imposing man, stick in in front of net during power plays, learn to go to net and cause havoc for goal tender it possible he could be of value. Many players back in the day played this role and did so with great success, guys with said little talent otherwise. Otherwise his days in league and as Sabre not so long in my opinion .

Regarding Scott, he a player who in entire nhl career has one goal, but am willing to give he a Nolan a shot to work together. No doubt Scott a large and imposing man, stick in in front of net during power plays, learn to go to net and cause havoc for goal tender it possible he could be of value. Many players back in the day played this role and did so with great success, guys with said little talent otherwise. Otherwise his days in league and as Sabre not so long in my opinion .

Agreed.

I think Kadri took advantage of the situation he found himself in and was punished for it. What Scott did is a completely different set of circumstances.

I'm not implying anything. I am outright stating that when it comes to hockey skills there is no comparison, Ray at least had some, Scott has nil. Which is why I mentioned you should be using Andrew Peters as a comparable. Scotts skill level, or lack of, is closer to Peters than it is Ray.

So 3 seasons out of 13 with 10+ points suddenly makes Rob Ray a real hockey player?

So he "misses" grabbing Orr and is jumped from behind. And this is misconduct worthy to you? Seriously? There has never been a precedent for a 10 minute misconduct for ditching your gloves in a scrum and trying to grab someone from the pile. If his ditching his gloves and grabbing at someone was worthy of a 10 then why didn't McCormick get 10? He was an actual aggressor. Who ditched his gloves. And successfully grabbed ahold of a player actively involved in the scrum.

And Scott received 2 minors for roughing. Whom pray tell was John Scott "roughing"? He never touched a Leaf. Never laid a hand on any of them.

Just from a precedent standpoint you might want to take a look at this anecdote:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=415986

It's not perfect but there's definitely precedent for tossing players to keep the game for getting out of hand.

Just from a precedent standpoint you might want to take a look at this anecdote:

http://www.tsn.ca/bl...aser/?id=415986

It's not perfect but there's definitely precedent for tossing players to keep the game for getting out of hand.

Interesting column, but Scott was 1. not really in need of protection I should think and 2. not trying to engage at all. And Cooke did try to throw a stick over the glass in the incident discussed.

Seems precedent for this with a player not trying to engage is pretty weak still.

So 3 seasons out of 13 with 10+ points suddenly makes Rob Ray a real hockey player?

are you likening the past #32 with the present day #32?

ray could get around on his pins far (far (far)) better than big john does. also: any player who wore a letter and scored a GWG in a conference final gets an automatic nod as a real hockey player.

are you likening the past #32 with the present day #32?

ray could get around on his pins far (far (far)) better than big john does. also: any player who wore a letter and scored a GWG in a conference final gets an automatic nod as a real hockey player.

I never considered Ray a "real hockey player". He was a better skater than Scott. That is about all I see that Ray did better as a "real hockey player".

Ray=Scott=Peters

and Orr and McLaren are about the same level as Scott as "real hockey players".

Interesting column, but Scott was 1. not really in need of protection I should think and 2. not trying to engage at all. And Cooke did try to throw a stick over the glass in the incident discussed.

Seems precedent for this with a player not trying to engage is pretty weak still.

The precedent has been set. Scott's first shift every game, as soon as a Sabre touches the puck, the play will be whistled dead, he will get thrown out of the game because he may have a fight (whether he starts it or not doesn't matter), and Nolan will get fined for player selection.

I never considered Ray a "real hockey player". He was a better skater than Scott. That is about all I see that Ray did better as a "real hockey player".

Ray=Scott=Peters

and Orr and McLaren are about the same level as Scott as "real hockey players".

i'm probably not being entirely rational on the issue, i will admit. such is my fondness for ray.

as for your correlation, i'd say it's more Ray~Scott~Peters. we're talking degrees, i will admit -- but, to my eye, scott looks more out of place in the league than any of those guys.

i'm probably not being entirely rational on the issue, i will admit. such is my fondness for ray.

as for your correlation, i'd say it's more Ray~Scott~Peters. we're talking degrees, i will admit -- but, to my eye, scott looks more out of place in the league than any of those guys.

Right, we all like Ray more. That's fine. But I'd imagine if Scott ever played a full season in the NHL his numbers wouldn't be too much worse than Ray. Ray benefited from a secured roster spot thanks to the need for an enforcer.

A similar situation occurred when Dave "The Hammer" Schultz became a Sabre. He had a huge reputation as a fighter and threw an occasional "dirty" hit as a Flyer. The Kings and Pens used him the same way, so by the time he came to the Sabres, he was a marked man. Even though he truly cleaned up his game, all he had to do was skate by a player and the ref called him for roughing. As a result, he played less and less until he was sent down to Rochester, where he finished his career. It was a shame, really as he did have a little hockey talent and was a good fourth-liner who could go into the corners and dig the puck out.

For Scott, maybe he could prove his mettle by plunking him in front of the opposing net during a power play. He would be a great screen and would draw the occasional penalty. Or maybe we could pass him on to some other team looking for size. You should be able to get at least one and a half Gerbe's for him.....

But I'd imagine if Scott ever played a full season in the NHL his numbers wouldn't be too much worse than Ray.

I don't imagine as much, nor do I think there's a need to imagine since we have a sufficient body of work for Scott.

One thing I can't get past: Scott's #s from his days playing for a middling team in the NCAA were ~5 points per season over a ~32 game season. Ray averaged over .8 points per game during his last 2 years in the OHL (100+ games). To me, that indicates a real disparity in basic talent between the 2 guys.

I was referring more to the bottom of that article where Fraser, knowing a guy was on the ice to cause trouble, got him removed by provoking a simple concept. There's another post he did floating around that talks about him doing the same kind of thing (or another ref doing it) for many of the same reasons.

I think at that point the refs looked at the situation and said, it's not too far fetched so just get them out of here to defuse the situation. It's not protecting John Scott, that's for sure. However, if Scott did nothing wrong and he was left on the ice for the next shift he might have gone after Kessel again! :)

I'm just saying it's not unheard of.. I'm definitely not saying it was justified.

Archived