Is it time for a Rally?

BMWR100RT

I never thought it would come to this, but is it time for a full blown ticket burning garbage can fire down in front of the F'N futility Center?

Burning tickets is asinine. Go to a childrens hospital or school and give them to kids that otherwise can't afford to go. Walk into any business where the employees make minimum wage and hand them out but don't burn them.

There's got to be some common ground here.

I propose, that if you take out the word 'tickets' from the original post (OP), and still give the tickets to the unfortunate, you've got an awesome garbage can fire. Heck, you could probably get the thing roaring on ticket stubs alone. Those minimum wage workers would see that hobo campfire roaring, and forget about their worries, and perhaps, even, forget about the game.

Even if they're poor, so long as they're NY State educated, they've likely been taught about the hoboes in a Hooverville. Everyone knows about the Great Depression, especially poor people. Call her a Pegulaville: meaning a good old fashioned hobo hoedown!

Shouldn't post with a pounding hangover, but the good news is this thread entertained me more than the on ice-product. Last wednesday I was in Las Vegas watching the Sabres at the Mirage sports book, listening to two good hockey fans (Bruins) making fun of the Sabres whole franchise and I couldn't argue with anything they said. It was tough to sit there and be the subject of pity. They had money on the Sabres because the odds were so good they couldn't pass it up. When the Sabres won in overtime, they were giddy and even wished me well.

For those that talk of being patient with a rebuild, please try and tell me that RR is someone you trust with the kids, and DR is someone you trust with high draft picks. Confidence is low.

I don't own a bike, but I'm down for camping.

Considering it was snowing even here in PA this morning, I'm not sure the bike is part of any plan. :) I've only ridden in the snow once or twice. It was fine, but the salt does a number on the bike.

I'm not sure I can really convince my wife to camp this late. She's usually game for camping, but this may be a bit far. :)

For those that talk of being patient with a rebuild, please try and tell me that RR is someone you trust with the kids, and DR is someone you trust with high draft picks. Confidence is low.

For those posters that are on board with the tank, I don't recall even one saying that they are glad that DR is in charge of it. Still if DR isn't going anywhere as appears to be the case, I'll take this approach over the treadmill of mediocrity all day long.

If the Sabres weren't tanking the season where we we be right now? I'd say we'd be sitting comfortably right at the edge of the playoffs and getting ready for the sleepwalk through December and January. Then of course we'd have the patented run of false hope come February and March, only to ultimately end up exactly where this tank season will put us..out of the playoffs.

For those posters that are on board with the tank, I don't recall even one saying that they are glad that DR is in charge of it. Still if DR isn't going anywhere as appears to be the case, I'll take this approach over the treadmill of mediocrity all day long.

If the Sabres weren't tanking the season where we we be right now? I'd say we'd be sitting comfortably right at the edge of the playoffs and getting ready for the sleepwalk through December and January. Then of course we'd have the patented run of false hope come February and March, only to ultimately end up exactly where this tank season will put us..out of the playoffs.

So I get that a rally won't help us make the playoffs. Are you and others really OK with letting a staff that is so ineffective, the staff that got us in this sad situation, now decide that the unsportsmanlike "tank" is a good idea and the only way to right the ship? I just can't stand to see this franchise in this state. I'd rather be in nineth place with a reason to root for the team than sit in the stands watching the team coached not to win. The idea of suffering and "tanking" is something I can't get behind. To think this route gets us the next Crosby or Malkin is absurd. I see the future and it just involves more and more suffering with more guys like Stafford trying to sniff the playoffs, while many seasons go by with the current management belittles us.

My suggestion of a fan revolt is based on the idea that national attention to this sad plight would put pressure on ownership to do something about the crappy product we paid for. Probably the best suggestion is just to walk away, but I really like hockey. Just not this hockey. #embarrassed

So I get that a rally won't help us make the playoffs. Are you and others really OK with letting a staff that is so ineffective, the staff that got us in this sad situation, now decide that the unsportsmanlike "tank" is a good idea and the only way to right the ship? I just can't stand to see this franchise in this state. I'd rather be in nineth place with a reason to root for the team than sit in the stands watching the team coached not to win. The idea of suffering and "tanking" is something I can't get behind. To think this route gets us the next Crosby or Malkin is absurd. I see the future and it just involves more and more suffering with more guys like Stafford trying to sniff the playoffs, while many seasons go by with the current management belittles us.

My suggestion of a fan revolt is based on the idea that national attention to this sad plight would put pressure on ownership to do something about the crappy product we paid for. Probably the best suggestion is just to walk away, but I really like hockey. Just not this hockey. #embarrassed

I've said this a few times before, but tanking does not mean trying to lose on purpose. I don't believe anyone at FNC from Pegula on down is asking these players to go out and try to lose games for improved draft position. Instead they have assembled a roster that they full well know is not yet prepared to compete on a nightly basis with most teams in this league. Hopefully the kids will learn from the experience and begin to show progress by the end of the year, and although like you I'd prefer to see DR shown the door, I don't think a new GM would take a much different approach going forward given the organizational assets he'd have to work with.

I've said this a few times before, but tanking does not mean trying to lose on purpose. I don't believe anyone at FNC from Pegula on down is asking these players to go out and try to lose games for improved draft position. Instead they have assembled a roster that they full well know is not yet prepared to compete on a nightly basis with most teams in this league. Hopefully the kids will learn from the experience and begin to show progress by the end of the year, and although like you I'd prefer to see DR shown the door, I don't think a new GM would take a much different approach going forward given the organizational assets he'd have to work with.

These players aren't idiots...

The team president is out there every single week trying to stave off the masses by trumpeting how glorious it is to get the #1 pick and praises Pittsburgh and Chicago as models. He also keeps saying the plan is to accumulate high picks.

That means......1) If you have any worth and are a vet, you will probably be shipped out. 2) If the ideal model is Pittsburgh...then management thinks you as a collective group of players are sh!t.

Who wants to go out and bust their butt? My goal if I were Miller, Ott, Ehrhoff, etc...is to not get hurt out there. Teams know what Ott and Miller are worth and have to be laughing at the dysfunction of the Sabres organization. Eventually all the rookies will recognize the team doesn't care about results from President, to GM, to Owner....and will worry more about where they are going out after the game than the game itself. Whoopdie doo....we win tonight and are only 28 points out of a playoff spot....

How any rational person who has one ounce of human understanding can sign off on this plan.........no clue...

Ok, Pegula just called and you're the new GM. What do you start doing today to end the suffering? No revisionist history. You have a clean slate starting today. What's the plan?

It's too late.

3 years ago you could have turned this into a Cup contender by now.

Now there is nothing but disgruntled vets who can still play (Miller, Ott, Ehrhoff), crappy vets at inflated prices who can't play (Stafford, Tallinder, Leino), young entitled guys who have contract albatrosses (Myers, Hodgson), a few young guys with a bit of hope (Foligno, Ennis, Weber) and a bunch of young guys who need a few years and a bunch of filler who need not be here.

This past offseason was your top chance to save respectability. There was an artificially low cap. You want to move veterans and the old core. You want to accumulate picks. You want to play youngsters. You could have done all of the above and still had $30 million under the cap to bring in a half dozen guys that have played in Stanley Cups to teach these kids.

I honestly wouldn't want the Buffalo job right now if I were a young prospect/ assistant GM. A meddling owner, a gutted roster, a poor destination in the eyes of outsiders, a culture of failure and nepotism.....

In all honesty, the plan is to watch it burn, and hug each other, and hope there are other things to enjoy in life.

It's too late.

3 years ago you could have turned this into a Cup contender by now.

Now there is nothing but disgruntled vets who can still play (Miller, Ott, Ehrhoff), crappy vets at inflated prices who can't play (Stafford, Tallinder, Leino), young entitled guys who have contract albatrosses (Myers, Hodgson), a few young guys with a bit of hope (Foligno, Ennis, Weber) and a bunch of young guys who need a few years and a bunch of filler who need not be here.

This past offseason was your top chance to save respectability. There was an artificially low cap. You want to move veterans and the old core. You want to accumulate picks. You want to play youngsters. You could have done all of the above and still had $30 million under the cap to bring in a half dozen guys that have played in Stanley Cups to teach these kids.

I honestly wouldn't want the Buffalo job right now if I were a young prospect/ assistant GM. A meddling owner, a gutted roster, a poor destination in the eyes of outsiders, a culture of failure and nepotism.....

In all honesty, the plan is to watch it burn, and hug each other, and hope there are other things to enjoy in life.

This is what we call capitulation......

Archived