Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Was the question "name six people who have never been in your kitchen?"

Other than simply listing six players that have all played forward there is no comparison to the Leaf forwards. None of the players listed were on the level of player Kessel and JVR have become.

Career highs (points):

Vanek - 84 Kessel - 82

Pommer - 80 Lupul - 67

Roy - 81 JVR - 61

Connolly - 65 Raymond - 53

Hecht - 56 Kadri - 49

Presented without opinion.

And this debate is over.

Back to 2014 NHL Draft talk........

The Leafs are far from the point of having to "rebuild." What they need is some help on the blue-line and a healthy Lupul. They are in very good shape cap wise with just over $22 mil available this off-season. They have a pretty solid group as a "top six" which gets even better if Clarkson can bounce back. They also have a couple of chips to play in Kadri and Gardiner if they choose to. They also have a likely top 10 pick this year they can use to add (through trade) some help to the blueline.

The Leafs will be a team looking to add, they are close to taking that next step to contender status.

There's no such thing as a "healthy Lupul." It's pretty safe to say by now that he's injury prone. They also have the softest leadership in the entire NHL, capable of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

The Leafs are far from the point of having to "rebuild." What they need is some help on the blue-line and a healthy Lupul. They are in very good shape cap wise with just over $22 mil available this off-season. They have a pretty solid group as a "top six" which gets even better if Clarkson can bounce back. They also have a couple of chips to play in Kadri and Gardiner if they choose to. They also have a likely top 10 pick this year they can use to add (through trade) some help to the blueline.

The Leafs will be a team looking to add, they are close to taking that next step to contender status.

Contend for what?

And this debate is over.

Back to 2014 NHL Draft talk........

There never was a debate, is here anyone this board that would seriously take Vanek over Kessel? Pominville over JVR? Roy over Lupul? Connolly & Hecht over anyone?

There's no such thing as a "healthy Lupul." It's pretty safe to say by now that he's injury prone. They also have the softest leadership in the entire NHL, capable of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory.

That's why they are on the outside looking in this year. This is a team that can use a Callahan (filling the role Clarkson should be filling) and a couple of the veteran blueliners available as UFA's.

Contend for what?

A Stanley Cup. They need to tighten up defensively taking some of the pressure off of the goaltending. They do that and they'll be in the playoffs, likely a top four team in the conference.

There never was a debate, is here anyone this board that would seriously take Vanek over Kessel? Pominville over JVR? Roy over Lupul? Connolly & Hecht over anyone?

That's why they are on the outside looking in this year. This is a team that can use a Callahan (filling the role Clarkson should be filling) and a couple of the veteran blueliners available as UFA's.

A Stanley Cup. They need to tighten up defensively taking some of the pressure off of the goaltending. They do that and they'll be in the playoffs, likely a top four team in the conference.

Yeah. sure. Thanks for the expert level "Everyone that isn't the Sabres is awesome" trolling.

Back to 2014 NHL Draft talk.......

Well I am now a very firm believer the Sabres need to get meaner. As such Lemiuex and Kempe better be on the Sabres radar for the late 1st early 2nd round. I am tempted to say we should also take Bennett over Reinhart but I still feel Reinhart is the best player.

Well I am now a very firm believer the Sabres need to get meaner. As such Lemiuex and Kempe better be on the Sabres radar for the late 1st early 2nd round. I am tempted to say we should also take Bennett over Reinhart but I still feel Reinhart is the best player.

Reinhart may be more skilled, comparing the two, which is closer to being the complete player. The new term this season has been "playing 200 feet", I've heard that said about Bennett. Is Reibhart's skill level that much more that Bennett's where it outweighs the other attributes Bennett brings to the rink.

If we end up with pick 1 and the Isles give us their pick and we get one Sam at one and Ekblad goes 2 then we should try to move from 4 to 3 to land the other Sam. Why choose?

That's where that St. Louis pick can become very handy.

Toronto is much farther away in my opinion. That's a team not built for 82 games or the tight checking of a playoff run.

They lack depth, they lack prospects, they lack a 200 ft. game, they lack a defense, they have one guy that can win a faceoff.

Seriously flawed team in my opinion.

Toronto needs to be somewhere between rebuild and retool. They are more than one or two players away from being a contender.

I'd hope a move one spot would cost less, but I don't think I'd be opposed to it if they did move both firsts to move up a spot.

I've heard it said that there is less quality found at the end of round one this year than what is expected through the first couple of rounds in 2015. I would play the St. Louis pick like found money. We had a draft with two Tylers why not two Sams. The Buffalo Sabres 2014 draft needs to be called Wham bam thank you Sam!

Reinhart may be more skilled, comparing the two, which is closer to being the complete player. The new term this season has been "playing 200 feet", I've heard that said about Bennett. Is Reibhart's skill level that much more that Bennett's where it outweighs the other attributes Bennett brings to the rink.

Reinhart doesn't play all 200 feet? Maybe he's not as aggressive or physical as Bennett, but he's solid defensively.

Reinhart has a complete game. He plays it smartly and aggressively, but he won't hit guys as often as Bennett does. That can be a positive in the sense that it may mean less injuries, but it also can be negative in the sense that everybody wants a little bit of a physical edge from their best players.

I think Reinhart's game is safer, though. And it's just better overall. I wouldn't pass on him.

Please elaborate, there's not a lot of talk about Reinhart's defensive game.

I've heard plenty. Scouts are very impressed with his two-way game. Most think he can make the jump to the NHL next year because of it.

I also like the idea that he's Paul Reinhart's kid. (not that it is a reason to choose him over someone else, as a fan I just like it).

Reinhart was a guy that could have played any position on the ice on any line in any situation. Center, Wing, D. He was practically the perfect player.

I think I remember Harry Neale calling him a Swiss army knife.

Those 80's Calgary teams were fun to watch.

Edited by X. Benedict

Reinhart has a complete game. He plays it smartly and aggressively, but he won't hit guys as often as Bennett does. That can be a positive in the sense that it may mean less injuries, but it also can be negative in the sense that everybody wants a little bit of a physical edge from their best players.

I think Reinhart's game is safer, though. And it's just better overall. I wouldn't pass on him.

Plus as TM said on GR, Reinhart is the smartest player on the ice every game he has seen him play.

Have you watched him play? He back checks and rarely takes the wrong guy. Dude has a complete game.

Thanks.

Plus as TM said on GR, Reinhart is the smartest player on the ice every game he has seen him play.

Reinhart's "hockey smarts" is what I hear/read about most. His on ice vision and understanding of the game is said to be advanced.

Reinhart just seems like the type of guy that will have a positive impact on every single game. He's a leader.

Random question: Does anybody know of a website that I can watch TSN on? Want to watch the draft lottery live on Tuesday. I watched it last year, but it was so choppy that I missed half of the announcements.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.