Vanek speculation on CBC's HNIC

Two or less

50/50.... we will know soon enough where he goes...as long as he plays with real first or second line talent i really do not care.

I just thought it was new info for those interested in whether he'll go there.

thanks potato ,, a nice article. they are right ..it is not all about the money with Vanek.. most interesting part is at the very end..the Dud rumor

I got a little shiver when I read that.

We should discuss this idea. Honestly what happens is starting after last seasons trade deadline through 2 weeks before this trade deadline, you are correct and values plummet down down down. There is a spike at the draft and just prior to free agency but then values return low. Now at around 2 weeks prior to the current NHL trade deadline, teams with legitimate cup hopes and teams who are dreamers start to gamble the future on the now. Vanek and even Miller's value again begin to go upwards.

Right now we are in the declining value period and it should hit bottom probably around december. Then starting in January and heading into the deadline the value of players creeps up and up.

Should DR have traded Vanek and Miller last year or this summer? Yes, I believe he should have. However now he has to wait because value is currently not there. January to March is when value will again be added to these players.

Makes sense. My fear is unforeseen injuries at the crucial time for maximum return which would be devastating. Also Darcy, based on past history, may be caught with his pants down while waiting for the market to set itself instead of being proactive and setting the market .

LGR is correct with several teams that will need scoring help & goalie help, Miller & Vanek will give good value in return, honestly I think we'll get better return for them before this trade deadline than we would have at any other time (obviously depends on Darcy which means it won't happen) but with the new conference structure I feel like teams will be desperate for pieces despite the cap.

thanks potato ,, a nice article. they are right ..it is not all about the money with Vanek.. most interesting part is at the very end..the Dud rumor

My only concern with Dudley is he is almost 65 years old. I'd prefer a young "up and comer." Seems in Buffalo sports we always try to capture the past instead of invent the future.

Buffalo only needs three seasons to become a competitive team again. If we get the #1 or #2 this year along with good assets for Vanek & Miller I'd go into the offseason an blow up the roster.

Keep:

Hodgson

Risto

Pysyk

Zadorov

Girgs

Armia?

Tropp

Larsson

Ott & Weber

Enroth

Hackett

Use the rest as trade bait aside from the real young prospects like McCabe and the like.

Be sure to rid ourselves of Stafford & Leino

Get rid of Ennis if he doesn't turn it around massively.

Use picks and other prospects to acquire other players and so on.

Vet Winger-#1 Pick Center-Vet Winger

Vet Winger-Hodgson-Armia

Girgs-Larsson-Ott

Kaleta?-Porter?-Tropp

Ehrhoff? - Vet Dman

Pysyk - Risto

Vet Dman - Weber

What Buffalo lacks is a solid Vet presence to go along with the young guys, at the moment we have a bunch of young players with 1 vet skater who's worth noting in Vanek, and a load of ok players who fill no real role aside from a roster spot.

Buffalo only needs three seasons to become a competitive team again. If we get the #1 or #2 this year along with good assets for Vanek & Miller I'd go into the offseason an blow up the roster.

Keep:

Hodgson

Risto

Pysyk

Zadorov

Girgs

Armia?

Tropp

Larsson

Ott & Weber

Enroth

Hackett

Use the rest as trade bait aside from the real young prospects like McCabe and the like.

Be sure to rid ourselves of Stafford & Leino

Get rid of Ennis if he doesn't turn it around massively.

Use picks and other prospects to acquire other players and so on.

Vet Winger-#1 Pick Center-Vet Winger

Vet Winger-Hodgson-Armia

Girgs-Larsson-Ott

Kaleta?-Porter?-Tropp

Ehrhoff? - Vet Dman

Pysyk - Risto

Vet Dman - Weber

What Buffalo lacks is a solid Vet presence to go along with the young guys, at the moment we have a bunch of young players with 1 vet skater who's worth noting in Vanek, and a load of ok players who fill no real role aside from a roster spot.

Yup and there is the problem. 1 thing however, this draft does not have a John Tavares or Sidney Crosby type center you can just plop onto the top line. Even if we drafted 1st overall (which I still doubt we will be that bad) Sam Reinhart although a solid and really good center (probably a #1 in time) isn't going to be the guy for another couple years after that. Hodgson has to hold down the spot or Grigorenko has to keep improving.

Speaking of Grigorenko improving, he has looked better to me. Still a lot of gliding and his skating is very average but every once and a while this season you seem to see that quick stick and smooth hands... I still have lots of hope for the 19yr old.

This is probably phony, but AllTell Sports reported that the Sabres and Flyers are talking about a Vanek for Couturier, Coburn and a 2nd trade. Obviously that'd be a good deal, but I don't think it's remotely true.

If it was to go down (just for speculations sake), I would then try to move Myers elsewhere. Coburn would be a nice pickup.

This is probably phony, but AllTell Sports reported that the Sabres and Flyers are talking about a Vanek for Couturier, Coburn and a 2nd trade. Obviously that'd be a good deal, but I don't think it's remotely true.

If it was to go down (just for speculations sake), I would then try to move Myers elsewhere. Coburn would be a nice pickup.

I've never heard of them, are they usually reliable? I'm assuming their not Ecklund status

I've never heard of them, are they usually reliable? I'm assuming their not Ecklund status

From what I could gather they're unknown. So it's probably just a guy blowing smoke. Also claimed that the Flyers are in talks on Yakupov and want to make one of the two deals soon.

I would say that it's 100% crap, but I just posted it for speculations sake.

Now that trade is interesting... it gives us actual NHL players in return and a pick. Also I think you are right that if you could make that trade it makes Tyler Myers a much more trad-able asset as Coburn can be your #1 shutdown defender.

Now that trade is interesting... it gives us actual NHL players in return and a pick. Also I think you are right that if you could make that trade it makes Tyler Myers a much more trad-able asset as Coburn can be your #1 shutdown defender.

With that trade you could really screw the Flyers over too

Make this deal with them, then trade Myers and Miller (or Enroth, pull a Canucks move here) to Edmonton for Yakupov

The Flyers don't get Yak, and they get another Buffalo player who they will hope the Buffalo curse doesn't continue with (Briere, Biron, etc.)

of course none of this will happen because the trade market hasn't been set yet and Darcy doesn't know what a player like Vanek, or anyone else on their team should go for on the market............

Make this deal with them, then trade Myers and Miller (or Enroth, pull a Canucks move here) to Edmonton for Yakupov

The Flyers don't get Yak, and they get another Buffalo player who they will hope the Buffalo curse doesn't continue with (Briere, Biron, etc.)

of course none of this will happen because the trade market hasn't been set yet and Darcy doesn't know what a player like Vanek, or anyone else on their team should go for on the market............

Not only has the market not been set yet, but I don't think anyone's checked to see if the fax machine is plugged in lately........ :thumbsup:

I do think this whole deal is made up. But it'd take a lot more than Miller and Myers to get Yak. Would likely take Miller, Myers and either a first or a top prospect, and maybe more. This is the first overall pick we're talking about.

Might be able to get them to bite on Miller, Myers and Ott.

Archived