Vanek speculation on CBC's HNIC

Two or less

During the Hotstove segment on CBC's HNIC, Elliotte Friedman talked about Vanek's future with the Sabres. He said, teams LOVE his skillset and many GMs believe he would be a massive help to their team, but, the team execs he's spoken to, say they will not go after him because there is a league-wide feeling that Vanek has already made up his mind and no matter where he ends up this season, he will sign with the Minnesota Wild. This all but kills any value Vanek has.

What a disaster this is turning out to be for hockey heaven.

Wow never even thought about this............makes so much sense though well I guess we have 2 options, Vanek's value will obviously be diminished, Darcy NEEDS to realize this, some team will be willing to have him as a rental because he could be a huge part to a Stanley Cup run....Or Darcy will not realize this and get nothing for him.

Obviously I see the latter happening but this info doesn't mean Vanek won't get traded

More ineptitude from our boy Darcy. I really don't remember hearing of a G.M. that screwed his team out of getting assets back on a commodity such as Vanek. Aside from the times he's done it here in the past with the likes of Drury and Briere do any G.M.s come to mind and are they still employed ? I realize it happens every year where they let guys go to ufa but to get absolutely nothing in return when you know years in advance when that status kicks in.

not true..is my guess..a couple of talking heads with a screw loose. At the trade deadline, the first question asked is will 26 consider resigning with us. i am sure the Sabres will ask him. He, 26, would have to be crazy not to go to teams like the blues, boston , detroit etc. this will all get flushed out when the team probes ..like a no trade without the clause. Vanek controls his value... be nice darcy..trade for a skilled rw for 26 to play with here and enhance his value with good 2013 numbers

funny.. many teams love his skill sets and fans here dump on him regularly..lol

During the Hotstove segment on CBC's HNIC, Elliotte Friedman talked about Vanek's future with the Sabres. He said, teams LOVE his skillset and many GMs believe he would be a massive help to their team, but, the team execs he's spoken to, say they will not go after him because there is a league-wide feeling that Vanek has already made up his mind and no matter where he ends up this season, he will sign with the Minnesota Wild. This all but kills any value Vanek has.

What a disaster this is turning out to be for hockey heaven.

It wouldn't kill his value to teams that want him as a rental. Or to the Wild themselves if they're serious about making a run this year. (They were serious enough last year to trade for Pominville and just re-signed him.)

But, yeah, the Sabres probably would have been better off dealing him at the deadline last year. Another 1st round pick in that draft would have been terrific.

Why would the Wild trade for him when they know they're getting him next season?

To try to win this season. Also to make damn sure they *do* sign him for later seasons. Crazy stuff happens in free agency, and I think the new rules give players time to talk to a bunch of teams before they can sign with anyone.

Free Agency will still begin on July 1 however, players and teams will now be allowed to interview with each other after the NHL Draft and before that July 1 date.
http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/22/cba-explained-the-cap-35-plus-contracts-free-agency-re-entry-waivers-ltir-nhl-entry-draft/

It's not crazy to think another team could swoop in with a better offer.

More ineptitude from our boy Darcy. I really don't remember hearing of a G.M. that screwed his team out of getting assets back on a commodity such as Vanek. Aside from the times he's done it here in the past with the likes of Drury and Briere do any G.M.s come to mind and are they still employed ? I realize it happens every year where they let guys go to ufa but to get absolutely nothing in return when you know years in advance when that status kicks in.

parise? suter?

The math just doesn't work. The Wild already have 4 big money contracts (all with NTC) totaling $27.35 mil against the cap. How will they be able to function if they added another long term deal in the $7+ mil range.

Dany Heatley is a UFA after the season so that helps.

parise? suter?

Yeah. Two big ones. It happens often but it makes no sense in team management. Get something in return. DR knew he was going the rebuild route early last season. His value had to be higher with most of two years left under contract. The longer he waits the less he gets.

The math just doesn't work. The Wild already have 4 big money contracts (all with NTC) totaling $27.35 mil against the cap. How will they be able to function if they added another long term deal in the $7+ mil range.

I'd build a team that way. Have my top 5 players taking up 50% of the cap, use the other $30+ mil on 3rd liners and 3rd pair Dmen. If you fill out your roster with kids and league minimum players it could work.

I'd build a team that way. Have my top 5 players taking up 50% of the cap, use the other $30+ mil on 3rd liners and 3rd pair Dmen. If you fill out your roster with kids and league minimum players it could work.

Right, but it hinges on finding the right five star players to take up 50% of your cap, which is pretty much the problem that vexes every team.

Once you have your star players, you're good to go.

Unlike the Sabres, maybe they want to win "this" year.

To try to win this season. Also to make damn sure they *do* sign him for later seasons. Crazy stuff happens in free agency, and I think the new rules give players time to talk to a bunch of teams before they can sign with anyone.

Minnesota only has 675k in cap space right now & they can add 3.37 mil in annual average salary at the deadline, and with us retaining salary it is possible now that I look at it better.

Also, another thing I thought about is Heatley's 7,5 mil cap hit for the rest of the year and then he's a free agent & there's no way Minny is keeping him so they could trade him as well to make room for Vanek because once he's gone that's just swapping his salary for Vanek's

Why would the Wild trade for him when they know they're getting him next season?

This. They wouldn't give a whole lot.

While I think this report is true and that Vanek wants to and will be in Minnesota after this year, it's not the end of everything. There's a few things that can and will happen here:

1. Contenders will call.

2. Teams will be willing to take him purely as a rental at slightly lower value.

3. Some teams will make big offers thinking they can convince him to stay with them and not Minnesota.

Heatley out, Vanek in.

No veteran will want to come to a rebuilding team unless he will be over compensated. Vanek has value but not much as Darcy thinks. He hung on him too long. The fire sale (Gerbe, Sekera, Roy, Pominville, Regehr, and Leopold) over the past 2 years should have included all assets of any value. This team has the feel of an expansion franchise with a few decent vets. The question is would you rather have a mediocre veteran team or a rebuilding team based on youth and a ton of losses. Long seasons ahead. 3 years away from being a playoff contender.

for those saying Heatley out Vanek in, just a heads up, it's not that simple.

There are long term implications, future considerations on supporting players contracts, flexibility in an unstable cap era period and other variables to consider. I think you will find it's not that simple as many believe.

With that being said, Vanek to Minny is a real possibility in the off season, and if so, then so be it. But don't attempt to dilute Vaneks worth as a rental at the deadline. At the minimum he's going to command a 1st and 2nd/3rd as far as picks go IMO.

There are long term implications, future considerations on supporting players contracts, flexibility in an unstable cap era period and other variables to consider. I think you will find it's not that simple as many believe.

With that being said, Vanek to Minny is a real possibility in the off season, and if so, then so be it. But don't attempt to dilute Vaneks worth as a rental at the deadline. At the minimum he's going to command a 1st and 2nd/3rd as far as picks go IMO.

So, less then Pominville and you're telling people not to dilute Vanek's worth?

So, less then Pominville and you're telling people not to dilute Vanek's worth?

As I've always stated, he'll get less then Pominville due to the years worth on Pommers contract as opposed to Vanek. I was commenting to those that state they wouldn't get a whole lot for Vanek, and let's not sway from the common sense subject line of the opinion itself. It merely serves to derail the conversation.

It's not necessarily one in, the other out, but it's a lot less complicated than you seem to be making it. The owner is committed to being a near-cap team. The cap is almost 100% going to go way up soon, not down. So signing Vanek won't be much of a risk in that aspect.

It's not necessarily one in, the other out, but it's a lot less complicated than you seem to be making it. The owner is committed to being a near-cap team. The cap is almost 100% going to go way up soon, not down. So signing Vanek won't be much of a risk in that aspect.

Think I heard Jacobs expects to rise to around 70 million next season

Archived