Anyone have experience with Hockeystreams.com subscription service?

TheMatrix31

Was thinking of subscribing to their service because I'm not doing Center Ice this year and I've heard Gamecenter is not that great/a rip. It's like 70 bucks or something for a 6 month subscription. Was thinking of doing it after the CI free preview is up, as that would take me through to the end of the regular season anyway.

How's the quality, reliability, etc? It says streams are 0-3 seconds behind live, but I don't know. I'm thinking I can use my Google Chromecast to broadcast from my computer to my TV.

Looking for any tips, comments, etc

I used the service a few years ago when Dish Network dropped MSG. The quality of the feed was pretty good for me, not HD but acceptable. Customer service was outstanding, they had someone available online before every game (East coast) to address any feed issues or user issues. I personally never experienced any issues, but it was nice to see that they were online.

I'm not sure what they charge now, but it wasn't expensive and they have an option to just "donate" by the day so you could just pay for a game (day) stream and try.

I used the service a few years ago when Dish Network dropped MSG. The quality of the feed was pretty good for me, not HD but acceptable. Customer service was outstanding, they had someone available online before every game (East coast) to address any feed issues or user issues. I personally never experienced any issues, but it was nice to see that they were online.

I'm not sure what they charge now, but it wasn't expensive and they have an option to just "donate" by the day so you could just pay for a game (day) stream and try.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Maybe I can buy it for a day or week and see how I like it and ask them if I can use that towards the full subscription.

I've had GameCenter for a few years now, I think you're going to have a hard time topping it. I can't comment on hockeystreams.com as I haven't subscribed, but GameCenter is pretty damn good in my opinion. All games in hi-def with home or away feed to choose from. Only thing I don't like is hooking my laptop up to the big screen every game, but that's my problem, not theirs.

They're not based in the US, if that changes anything. Not sure if it does or not. If it was truly illegal (or if the NHL could do something about it given that they're from Holland) then the site would be gone by now. It's been around for a while.

Gamecenter has blackout issues. It's also egregiously priced. Apparently it's nowhere near the quality MLBTV is as a service.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just stick with crappy streams.

They're not based in the US, if that changes anything. Not sure if it does or not. If it was truly illegal (or if the NHL could do something about it given that they're from Holland) then the site would be gone by now. It's been around for a while.

Gamecenter has blackout issues. It's also egregiously priced. Apparently it's nowhere near the quality MLBTV is as a service.

I don't know. Maybe I'll just stick with crappy streams.

Only games that are blacked out on GameCenter are local games that are televised, and games that are on NBC/Versus. Which blackouts are you referring to?

Ya get what you pay for. Quality has always been pretty damn good for me.

I gotta put a plug in for Gamecentre too.

Computer screen by the treadmill, living room TV via Apple TV and iPad on the road.

I'm out of market and didn't miss a game due to blackouts.

Functionality is good.

I'm OK with $18 a month.

Between 1 and 3 games a day for 6 months (i know, I may have a problem). That's about 75 cents a game. That's the best entertainment deal goin',… short of dropping acid.

Only games that are blacked out on GameCenter are local games that are televised, and games that are on NBC/Versus. Which blackouts are you referring to?

Ya get what you pay for. Quality has always been pretty damn good for me.

Are there any exclusivity blackouts like Fox Saturday Baseball's? When FOX is airing a game on Saturday, whatever games are on at that time aren't accessible via MLBTV.

Are there any exclusivity blackouts like Fox Saturday Baseball's? When FOX is airing a game on Saturday, whatever games are on at that time aren't accessible via MLBTV.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with FOX's baseball telecasts. But no matter what is televised on NBC/Versus, GameCenter still broadcasts all other games. Down here in SoFL, the only games I don't get are Panthers games and anything on NBC.

The only issue I have is games on NHL Network, I don't get those either. But since I have AT&T U-Verse for TV and not Comcast, I don't get NHL Network.

Hm. I get NHL Network. I have to look at the NBC schedule to see how many games we're scheduled for. If it's regional coverage on those NBC Sundays, no way they carry the Buffalo game here.

GameCenter is really good with that. If there is a game that only has regional coverage, they won't black it out in your area unless you actually have coverage. Point is, one way or another the game will be on one of them. Only games you won't get on GameCenter are your local team games. If I remember correctly, the only game I missed last year was the Jan.27 game because it was on NHL Network.

Still very (very) likely illegal in the US. NHL has the rights to broadcast of games in the US and Canada (and other places, I'm sure), and I doubt the NHL sold the rights for US broadcast to this Dutch site. The site may work, but I'm guessing it's under the radar right now. If enough people hear about it it'll stop working in the US.

Still very (very) likely illegal in the US. NHL has the rights to broadcast of games in the US and Canada (and other places, I'm sure), and I doubt the NHL sold the rights for US broadcast to this Dutch site. The site may work, but I'm guessing it's under the radar right now. If enough people hear about it it'll stop working in the US.

Yup. Treat it like Fight Club.

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy of mine is testing it out for a month for $17. He plays it through his Roku. Picture is HD 1080 and looks and sounds great. Gets all the feeds, home and away. No blackouts. Also gets OHL games, AHL, etc. I am going to try if for a month myself. This may be what gets me to finally cut the cable cord.

• 4 weeks later...

As a recent cordcutter, I tried this service out this year. What I like about it is I can watch any game, in any league, at any time. Does GameCenter Live offer this? I honestly don't know but I didnt consider it as I am in the Buffalo market and Sabres games would have been blacked out for me (though I have since installed a VPN service that can appear as if I am anywhere in the world). This latest Sabres loss had me pull up the Erie Otters latest game to watch McDavid play.

There's a Roku channel, or I can Airplay the iPad to the Apple TV. Both look great on the big screen.

Archived