Any birders?

PASabreFan

Bird mystery. I usually have good luck with whatbird.com's search tool, but not this time.

I've never seen this bird around here or heard its call. It looks very much like a robin, but it's lighter in color. The breast seems to be a lighter shade of that warm orange robin's breast. The call is simple but unusual, four or five almost two-toned whistles in a row. Thrushes keep coming up in searches, but the photos are not good matches. And when I listen to thrush calls, it's nothing like this bird's.

Clay-colored robin is a pretty close match, but they don't come north of Texas from what I'm reading. Maybe this one did.

I'll try to post a picture later. I have a recording of the call but don't think I can post it.

Not that I consider my self a birder but having spent a fair time in the pa wilds, I'd say it's a young immature robin. The feathers around the neck look like their still the nest feathers.

I think you're probably right however it is quite lacking in the spotting I'd expect on one. The other possibility is that it's some kind of foreign thrush kept as a pet then discarded to the wild.

I think you're probably right however it is quite lacking in the spotting I'd expect on one. The other possibility is that it's some kind of foreign thrush kept as a pet then discarded to the wild.

Interesting. It sits on that roof peak for long stretches and keeps coming back. It almost does seem domesticated.

Clay-colored thrush? It's the national bird of Costa Rica!

http://www.briansmallphoto.com/images/Clay-colored-Thrush_T0B97059.jpg

Not that I consider my self a birder but having spent a fair time in the pa wilds, I'd say it's a young immature robin. The feathers around the neck look like their still the nest feathers.

If it's a robin, that doesn't explain why it stands out so much, especially the call. There's just something not-Pennsylvania Wild-sy about this bird.

I got within a few feet of this bird today. It was on the side of the garage roof, moving its way up and down in a zig zag fashion. It was also making very familiar robin-like clucking or tutting sounds. Up close, it's almost certainly a robin. It's just very pale, not only the breast but the body.

I have no idea what this bird's story is. Since I got so close, I wonder if it can't see well. Or at all. It's different, that's for sure. (I am resisting the urge to call it an odd bird.) I've kind of grown attached to it. The call is so beautiful and attention-getting. It got my attention, for sure.

This comes at an interesting time. I just finished a work assignment where I interviewed five intellectually and mentally challenged people. Maybe I'm just in a sensitive place, I don't know.

Thanks for the input everyone. Bird-watching seems like it would be a great pastime.

Bird-watching seems like it would be a great pastime.

It's not my thing, but I think you're right about that. I've watched my little guy phase through a weirdly thorough knowledge about 100+ Thomas the Tank Engine trains, then move onto a detailed familiarity with twice that many Pokemon characters. It's something that a lot of guys tend to be hard-wired for, I think.

It's not my thing, but I think you're right about that. I've watched my little guy phase through a weirdly thorough knowledge about 100+ Thomas the Tank Engine trains, then move onto a detailed familiarity with twice that many Pokemon characters. It's something that a lot of guys tend to be hard-wired for, I think.

You're probably right. I went through very similar phases as a kid, Thomas to Pokemon to paintball guns, cars, motorcycles, etc. You eventually discover that these obsessions build communities. Heck we see it right here with the accumulated knowledge that our members have of all sorts of players, coaches, teams, etc.

Personally I think studying trains and dragon fly species are my next two obsessions.

Oh I also spent a lot of time as a kid studying WW II aircraft. I used to be able to tell you every variant of the Hawker Hurricane or the history of the He. 177 Grief.

I'll step up as a girl who has always catalogued and collected things. As a child i went through many many phases- I could tell you every rock/gemstone. Every amazon tree frog. Every airplane ever (down to serial numbers in different regiments in different theatres of war). Most cars. Civil War and WWII battles. Geography. Eventually Pokemon/any video game I played. Honestly, my knowledge as a younger kid was greater than my knowledge now! I'm starting to do it with hockey players/hockey history now! My sister did it as well (woman learns languages in no time). But I think we're anomalies. Certainly got me made fun of plenty growing up, and probably why I mostly hung out with guys.

I think it's probably a caveman thing- you men had to be out hunting/gathering/keeping tabs on the surrounding dangers... What to eat what not to eat, what kills you, what's safe... Us ladies were in the cave with babies to our breasts.

Personally I think studying trains and dragon fly species are my next two obsessions. Oh I also spent a lot of time as a kid studying WW II aircraft. I used to be able to tell you every variant of the Hawker Hurricane or the history of the He. 177 Grief.

:w00t:

I'll step up as a girl who has always catalogued and collected things.

Good stuff.

Archived