Sabres pick #38 Connor Hurley

spndnchz

We've taken the youngest guy in the draft before.....back in 2000.

His name was Gerard Dicaire and he was a 2nd round pick too. He hasn't played a single NHL game yet but, hey, maybe there's still time.

Drafting a guy because he would have been in next year's draft had he been born a day later doesn't guarantee anything.

You are right it doesn't. However dooming him before he has turned 18 is basically doing the same thing. I am willing to give the kid a chance.

You are right it doesn't. However dooming him before he has turned 18 is basically doing the same thing. I am willing to give the kid a chance.

I'm not dooming him, but I'm looking at who was drafted afterwards and I'm thinking there were a bunch of guys I would have rather had there. http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-NHL-draft-results/round-2

Carrier, Dauphin, Hagg, Bowey, Arnesson, Dahlstrom, Santini, etc.

We also could have taken Fucale at #35 and had Compher or one of the above at #38.

He's not heading off the ND without graduating High School. So he's gonna finish high school while playing in the USHL?

I'm not sure how the laws go from state to state, but you need to remember that in most cases, kids in the US are required by law to go to school up until 17 or 18. So of course these USHL kids are enrolled in high school while playing in that league.

I'm not sure how the laws go from state to state, but you need to remember that in most cases, kids in the US are required by law to go to school up until 17 or 18. So of course these USHL kids are enrolled in high school while playing in that league.

Right, but if he's going to ND, he's not just enrolled, he's graduating, with 4 full years of humanities and pre-calculus.

Right, but if he's going to ND, he's not just enrolled, he's graduating, with 4 full years of humanities and pre-calculus.

I'm somewhat surprised that I haven't seen anything about him accelerating his graduation so he can be at Notre Dame this year. I have no idea if they do that often for Notre Dame recruits of if they even need him right now, but it seems to happen a lot with these higher rated recruits. He might be a bit too young though.

I'm somewhat surprised that I haven't seen anything about him accelerating his graduation so he can be at Notre Dame this year. I have no idea if they do that often for Notre Dame recruits of if they even need him right now, but it seems to happen a lot with these higher rated recruits. He might be a bit too young though.

Maybe you are right and he can't do that because he won't be 18 til september?

I have tried to read up a lot on Hurley over the last couple days, I like him. He has some filling out to do but at 6'1" 181lbs and only 17... he has time. His game looks solid and his USHL tape (highlights) show that he does have good puck control and battle. His skating his quite nice and I think he has some good speed and defintely is strong on his skates. His shot is accurate but looks a little soft. I think the NHL goalie would catch up to it (obviously a small gripe as he won't see an NHL GT for years) but he can add more power. Now he also looks to have some really calm nerves and good puck possession skills. Granted AGAIN he is playing against hs kids in some of his tape so take it for what it is.

Basically I really like him. His potential is uncertain but I think if he is as hard working as it sounds than we may have a really good 2nd round kid.

Archived