Leino: Whither the Bounce Back?

That Aud Smell

Im not trying to defend Darcy on this one, but many NHL analysts had Leino as one of the top free agents available before the 11/12 season. I wasnt happy w/ the contract, but I was excited when the Sabres picked him up. Honestly, how many on this board were ticked off when Leino signed / Buffalo?

There were a bunch of posters that disliked the Leino signing from the get go.

If Leino was one of the top rated free agents at the time it was up to Regier to recognize how weak the free agent class was.

• 2 months later...

So in the 8 games he played, he scored 6 points (2-4-6) and showed some solid puck possession. He'll be 30 early next season.

Is this guy a top 6 winger? Could he be? Or is he buy-out fodder?

I think these questions are a key part of whether we finish in the bottom third, or we put up a spirited fight for spots 6-10 next season.

So in the 8 games he played, he scored 6 points (2-4-6) and showed some solid puck possession. He'll be 30 early next season.

Is this guy a top 6 winger? Could he be? Or is he buy-out fodder?

I think these questions are a key part of whether we finish in the bottom third, or we put up a spirited fight for spots 6-10 next season.

There's also the very real possibility that the injuries that limited him to 8 games this year could be career-threatening. A hip condition ended Bo Jackson's career. And we all know that Leino is as good as Bo was.

There's also the very real possibility that the injuries that limited him to 8 games this year could be career-threatening. A hip condition ended Bo Jackson's career. And we all know that Leino is as good as Bo was.

Lets hope not...can not buy out a player who is injured.

Not saying they should /will buy him out, but at least if he is not injured the option exists

Lets hope not...can not buy out a player who is injured.

Not saying they should /will buy him out, but at least if he is not injured the option exists

Right, but if he can't play, he goes on LTIR and doesn't count against the cap. But you're right that it hurts their flexibility.

I doubt he gets bought out. I think the most obvious buyout this Summer is Stafford and I cannot see the team buying out 2 wingers when they are already short on depth at the wings.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance to show what he's got when he's healthy next season.

Leino should be having surgery NOW on that other hip. Why wait. He does it now he's got more time for rehab.

Is it the hip again? I thought the same right away. Have surgery now in order to join the camp from the beginning. But I read that its not the hip this time, that its his back...

Is it the hip again? I thought the same right away. Have surgery now in order to join the camp from the beginning. But I read that its not the hip this time, that its his back...

Yeah, supposedly is but what I'm saying is the "procedures" on his hip to make it better IMO won't work long term and he should get it fixed up.

Leino should be having surgery NOW on that other hip. Why wait. He does it now he's got more time for rehab.

Close. He should have been having surgery 2-4 weeks ago, when it was obvious that he and the team wouldn't be able to compete this season.

I doubt he gets bought out. I think the most obvious buyout this Summer is Stafford and I cannot see the team buying out 2 wingers when they are already short on depth at the wings.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance to show what he's got when he's healthy next season.

I agree. Unless the injury changes thing, I think they'll buy out Stafford and give Leino one more year. I don't think it is a good idea to burn up both buyouts in the same year. They need to leave a little flexibility going into next year's offseason.

I agree. Unless the injury changes thing, I think they'll buy out Stafford and give Leino one more year. I don't think it is a good idea to burn up both buyouts in the same year. They need to leave a little flexibility going into next year's offseason.

I don't think they'll buy out anyone this year. There aren't a lot of FA's worth spending $'s on, so there isn't much to be gained by getting extra cap space. I expect there's a far greater chance that Stafford is traded and 1/4 to 1/2 of his salary is retained.

I don't think they'll buy out anyone this year. There aren't a lot of FA's worth spending $'s on, so there isn't much to be gained by getting extra cap space. I expect there's a far greater chance that Stafford is traded and 1/4 to 1/2 of his salary is retained.

How much money are they allowed to keep given that they already are keeping some of Pominville's contract? I forget the exact figure. But anyway, it doesn't just free up cap space for next year, but the future as well. So I wouldn't hold out on buying him out simply because there is no one worth adding this year.

Buyout is 4 x 1.3M against the cap, so I'd think the Sabres would be willing to keep money if they made a deal.

Stafford at $2.7 million (rather than $4M) might bring something back - maybe not much at this point, but something.

There's a thought. The buyout would be $1.3 against the cap, so why not just pay that part of his salary and deal him for whatever pick could be had.

Somebody would be getting Stafford at $2.7 (rather than $4M) which isn't a bad risk for a potential 20 goals scorer.

Buyout is 4 x 1.3M against the cap, so I'd think the Sabres would be willing to keep money if they made a deal.

Stafford at $2.7 million (rather than $4M) might bring something back - maybe not much at this point, but something.

Compliance buyout: no cap hit, just actual cash

Archived