Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

Blatter is an f'n idiot!

Just when I think I have heard the stupidest thing come out of his mouth, there is, always, something to top it ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/02/09/sp-soccer-fifa-sepp-blatter-match-fixing-racism.html

Don't get me wrong I think racism is a huge problem, but it's a bigger problem with the fans, IMO.

The fans don't fix matches.

Bale looks and plays like a Rooney/Ronaldo hybrid., IMO. 2 goals today.

Aaron Lennon's sole purpose in life - running down blind alleys? Zero eye for goal today.

Clint Dempsey might be the greatest American to play this game.

Agreed in all fronts here. Very disappointed in Lennon, hasn't always played down. But may be the system, under Harry he was more productive.

Clint is great. Took awhile for him to find his place. Thank you Fulham

Looking forward to the big game tomorrow. I think that Cristiano will be marked very tightly. It was mentioned by the announcers that Phil Jones may have been subbed off last game with that in mind. I don't think Phil Jones will play, personally, but he was pretty excellent man marking Fellaini last game.

Looking at Ronaldo as an opponent, now, is uncanny. He will probably score an amazing goal. He's still the guy who scored screamer after screamer for us, only better, perhaps. He'll show up.

He can't exactly be marked out of games, anyway. Lots of people have tried to man mark Ronaldo, it's not a new idea, so unless Phil Jones or Raphael or Evra, or whomever is better than I realize, Ronaldo will score.

I'm not even a big fan of him anymore, I just know how good he is. I see Ashley Coles name come up as someone who could nullify him. To that I say, that was a long time ago, and it was like 2005 version Ronaldo. Ashley was a snappy, super quick defender, like Raphael, back then, but Ronaldo had less power to his game. He was mister step-over in 2005. He had some nice tricks, but it wasn't until he scored the header against Roma, that he realized his power. I mean, can you imagine how great it would be if Gareth Bale scored some of the screamers that Ronaldo has scored in the Champions League? I remember thinking many times, with Ronaldo, he's not shooting from there, is he? Then, No Way! He did not just do that! It's the one thing he excels at over Messi, along with heading, I suppose. Viva Ronaldo!

I have a notion that Nani will be up for the game, assuming he starts. He's looked dangerous last couple games, and will put it together soon. Not so long ago, he was a better player than Rooney in some fans' eyes. I figure he'd be amped to go distinguish himself with this game.

A great thing about the Champions League is the away goal rule, when away managers take it as an edict to go balls out. Nani will play, I expect. Who else would be balls out? Anderson with Cleverley in midfield, that's who. I see a lineup coming together...

Van Persie, Rooney, and Nani

Cleverley, Anderson, Giggs

Evra, Vidic, Rio?, Raphael, DDG

I don't know if Rio is fast enough anymore. Vidic wins everything in the air, but his footspeed ain't great. Tough call, because Smalling and Jones have been excellent as a pairing.

It must be annoying to fans of other teams, like rooting for the Yankees when they were the best.

Such a happy place, now, Old Trafford. Giggsy just rolled in his first of the season, for the 21st time. Lots and lots of British talent in the team. Young players coming through. League wrapped up. Champions League football with Real Madrid!

Fox Soccer is having a free trial to watch the game, imo safer and nicer than streaming illegally. You have to cancel the subcription using My Account features, within 7 days, thus, they'll take your cc info upfront, and bill you $19/mo if it's not cancelled. I think I might keep it for a couple months.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

Welcome to the SabreSpace Soccer Subforum, where you'll get all your Champions League Post-Game reports for Man. United!

The first goal was scored by Danny Welbeck! 1-0, Manchester!

Ten minutes later, Cristiano Ronaldo, with a towering header!

Score level, game ends 1-1, Real Madrid, vs Man. United!

Both teams head to Old Trafford for a re-match.

Welcome to the SabreSpace Soccer Subforum, where you'll get all your Champions League Post-Game reports for Man. United!

Thanks, man.

Christiano is such a hottie ...

Ronaldo had his hair slicked back for this game. Aerodynamics. Here's what Fergie had to say about it: "I said to Patrice Evra at half-time, 'why didn't you challenge him?' and then I saw the replays,” Ferguson said. “It was then that I thought, 'what was I talking about?' I felt a bit stupid because, on the replay, Cristiano’s knee is about as high as Evra’s head – phenomenal. I’ve seen it before, in Rome (against Roma in 2008), and I don’t think any other player in the world can do that, certainly not Lionel Messi."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9869536/Manchester-United-manager-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-hails-phenomenal-Cristiano-Ronaldo-after-stunning-header.html

Edited by Yuri Olesha

A pretty good match, should be off the hook at Old Trafford. We're entering the best time of year for football.

• 2 weeks later...

In other news: Bradford City!

Bradford is an absolutely awesome story. I hope they take it.

Nope!!

Fell just short, well, sort of ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2013/02/24/sp-soccer-epl-english-rdp.html

Still a great story even without the storybook ending.

Tomorrow Munich is playing against Dortmund in our local cup championship in the quaterfinals.

Munich is playing like a team from another star 60 out of 69possible points only 8! goals against. I am Dortmund fan but the Munich team is on a roll.

Still trying a way to watch this game.......Its gonna be a good one...... :beer:

I haven't had a chance to post since the Barcelona-Milan first leg at the San Siro. It was the most interesting game of the season, for me, so far. To sum it up, it was like Barcelona were playing checkers in attack. The refereeing was remarkable - the best I've ever seen, quite honestly. There was very little diving, after Busquets was carded early for play-acting. But by checkers, I mean that Barcelona had 5 players in central midfield at a time: Fabregas, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi. It was tiki-taka gone mad, but they had very little of the ball inside 30 yards of the Milan goal, and rarely passed the ball farther than 10 yards. Barca tried to force everything through the middle, and Milan were happy to wait patiently for the inevitable forced ball to Messi, which they cut out neatly, and hoofed the ball away leaving plenty of energy and time to prepare for another intricate, patient, but ultimately toothless Barca buildup. Anyways, 2-0, Milan.

Also, Bale continues to pour it on, I see.

Edited by Yuri Olesha

I haven't had a chance to post since the Barcelona-Milan first leg at the San Siro. It was the most interesting game of the season, for me, so far. To sum it up, it was like Barcelona were playing checkers in attack. The refereeing was remarkable - the best I've ever seen, quite honestly. There was very little diving, after Busquets was carded early for play-acting. But by checkers, I mean that Barcelona had 5 players in central midfield at a time: Fabregas, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi. It was tiki-taka gone mad, but they had very little of the ball inside 30 yards of the Milan goal, and rarely passed the ball farther than 10 yards. Barca tried to force everything through the middle, and Milan were happy to wait patiently for the inevitable forced ball to Messi, which they cut out neatly, and hoofed the ball away leaving plenty of energy and time to prepare for another intricate, patient, but ultimately toothless Barca buildup. Anyways, 2-0, Milan.

Also, Bale continues to pour it on, I see.

I saw the result, but was eagerly awaiting your write-up.

Thanks.

I really believe the second leg will be played very differently. Barca looked like the Spanish National Team, during a WC, or EURO elimination tilt, in that first match.

I dont understand all this talking about the referee. It was clearly no mistake to give him a red card...

I don't know you well enough yet and since you didn't use an emoticon I will assume you are serious.

It's Man U, man. They are golden and no one ever deserves a red card. So, obviously the ref fixed the match by giving out that red ..........

:P

Man, I hate Man U.

I don't know you well enough yet and since you didn't use an emoticon I will assume you are serious.

It's Man U, man. They are golden and no one ever deserves a red card. So, obviously the ref fixed the match by giving out that red ..........

:P

Man, I hate Man U.

Oh I didnt mean you. :D :P I meant the media going nuts why the ref gave him a red card... Those writers and journalists are just stupid. That was a red card!

C'mon...I hate Man U as much as the next guy, and AF is a totally baby. However Nani did not deserve the red. Especially in that situation.

I think what just as interesting is AF's decision to sit 10 for 17. Balsy move IMO.