[OT] Question about Norton Spyware Filter

Taro T

Have been using Norton 360 (amongst other things on occasion) for antivirus on my Windows 7 laptop. It has always effected the performance of the machine, but not to the point that I would switch to a different antivirus program.

It updated itself with a new engine recently and the computer has slowed significantly. It looks like the antispyware engine is the biggest culprit of the slowdown. I turned that off for a while and my machine was like it'd been turbocharged.

The question is: does anybody else use Norton 360, if so, how do you have the spyware portion configured to keep it from causing your machine to be unusually slow?

I'll use Spybot and SUPERAntiSpyware on occassion. Anything else people have good luck with? And I'm specifically interested in antispyware; I'm fairly happy with what I'm using for malware and spam. Also, I don't really want to switch to McAfee, AVG, nor ESET at present; at least not for full time.

Thanks.

I've been using AVG for years and never had a problem. I find Norton to be a money grab and nothing more. I just switched over to a new computer after using the same old rig since 2004 and AVG was the only system I could run because Norton was too bulky.

Switch to AVG and never look back.

I've used 360 for a number of years now. It does seem to slow the boot-up of the computer but once it's running I see no slowdowns.

It can be installed on 3 computers so myself and a few friends split the cost.

That, and that a friend of my that does IT security for a living recommended it, were the main reasons I use it.

The first thing I do when setting up a new computer is to get rid of Norton. Yes, even before installing a proper web browser I replace Norton with AVG. The free version of AVG works a lot better than any configuration of Norton I have ever run into, and thus see no reason in the world to send a single cent Norton's way.

Set your machine up thusly:

1. Avast Free AntiVirus. - go into the settings and turn off the sounds and anything to do with pop-ups/cloud/animation.

2. Firefox with Adblock Plus and Flashblock Add-ons.

3. Spybot S&D WITHOUT the Tea-Timer. Just use it for the 'Immunization' at least once a month.

4. Dump Adobe reader and install something like Foxit Reader.

5. Install VLC media player so you don't have to download some stupid 'codec' to watch a video.

6. Uninstall Java. If you need it, you'll be prompted to download it. If you need it, keep it up to date.

7. As always, do a custom install on everything, avoiding toolbars, other browsers, and what have you.

You're welcome.

I'll cast a second vote for Microsoft Security Essentials. Free, frequent updates, lightweight, and real-time protection.

To handle malware/spyware, I fully recommend Malwarebytes. It's $25 for a perpetual license, so it's not really expensive, and as opposed to Spybot it actually prevents the crap from getting on your computer in the first place as opposed to removing it once it's there (although it does that too if it misses anything in real time).

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that Microsoft Security Essentials. It looks like most of the responders use AVG. Has anybody had issues w/ AVG?

AVG has gotten way and way more bloated in recent releases. I no longer install it.

And I just plain don't trust Microsoft for "security".

rbo, I've already got it installed. Is it better if I uninstall and start over?

That would probably be the simplest route.

AVG has gotten way and way more bloated in recent releases. I no longer install it.

And I just plain don't trust Microsoft for "security".

That would probably be the simplest route.

Thank you again for the advice. I'll look into Avast further as well. :thumbsup:

I work at Best Buy. Every time a new computer leaves the store with six months free of Norton, I die a little.

:lol:

They tried to sell me on that with the ASUS I just bought there a few months ago. I just looked at the guy and shook my head.

"You want ____? Are you sure you don't want _____?"

No. Just give me the damn tower. :pirate:

MSSE is a decent free antivirus program. I think it's great that Microsoft has actually provided a quality product that's a necessity for their operating systems, and free.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet here, but I personally use Avira. I got a good deal on it when I purchased it, and it is consistently among the best out there (second best detection rate in the most recent AV comparatives test).

Set your machine up thusly:

1. Avast Free AntiVirus. - go into the settings and turn off the sounds and anything to do with pop-ups/cloud/animation.

2. Firefox with Adblock Plus and Flashblock Add-ons.

3. Spybot S&D WITHOUT the Tea-Timer. Just use it for the 'Immunization' at least once a month.

4. Dump Adobe reader and install something like Foxit Reader.

5. Install VLC media player so you don't have to download some stupid 'codec' to watch a video.

6. Uninstall Java. If you need it, you'll be prompted to download it. If you need it, keep it up to date.

7. As always, do a custom install on everything, avoiding toolbars, other browsers, and what have you.

You're welcome.

These are all good suggestions (though I recommend Avira over Avast, they're both good).

I would also add a firewall with HIPS, the best one I've come across is Comodo Personal Firewall, and it's free.

I'd also recommend a tracking blocker addon if you use Firefox, such as Ghostery or Do Not Track Plus.

And for those that are super paranoid, you could run everything (or, most importantly, your browser) sandboxed with a program like Sandboxie, and route your internet through something like Proxomitron to further filter out crap. I don't do either of these two things, but I know those who do (this take a lot of time and patience to get everything set up properly).

Archived