Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

They also said Cody hasn't really scored a goal this season (one went in off his foot, the other his body), compared to the scoring machine of Zach. Oh they are fickle

Hell, I don't care how they go in as long as he's putting them in the net. I'm hoping his next goal is a diving header.

Edited by skaught

He's fit right in on that team. 2 first star selections in the first 3 games. Helping the team win and fast becoming a fan favourite.

Hodgson scored a couple of goals and posters were willing to declare the Sabres the hands down winner of the trade. It'll be interesting how things play out long term. Alos, I never understood the idea that it was Kassian or Foligno, the Sabres could have kept both.

Kassian must be feeling comfortable now. Went with Ryan Clowe most recently. Good entertaining fight that Kass lost to a very, very tough guy. Different Kassian this year. If only this was the Kass we saw last season.......

Kassian must be feeling comfortable now. Went with Ryan Clowe most recently. Good entertaining fight that Kass lost to a very, very tough guy. Different Kassian this year. If only this was the Kass we saw last season.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0kMb2nqLc

I think I still can not judge until game 20 or 25... The first few games in Buffalo we were going nuts about how awesome this kid is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0kMb2nqLc

Maybe he was too busy worrying about not making a mistake in the vaunted Ruff system

Not only that, but the Nucks really love him too.

Did you happen to notice the number he is wearing. It's a *real* number. A youngster and a new one to the organization usually don't end up with a number like 9. If I recall correctly, he wore 54 in Buffalo.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

So wait, a kid is slow to adjust in his first season as a professional hockey player? No, that never happens.

My only point was, if Kassian showed this kind of aggressive play consistently during last season he likely would still be in blue and gold.

Is that better or worse than what we have now? I dunno,. Whose "fault" is it that he wasn't showing any consistant emotion/aggression last season? I dunno.

My only point was, if Kassian showed this kind of aggressive play consistently during last season he likely would still be in blue and gold.

Is that better or worse than what we have now? I dunno,. Whose "fault" is it that he wasn't showing any consistant emotion/aggression last season? I dunno.

The "system" does not permit it ,,,,,,,may be the point

The Kassian trade was foolish.... imo. (not a change of opinion) ..he had the potential to be exactly what the Sabres needed...water over the dam now.. he would have never been permitted to flourish in Buffalo

They put him on the first line.with the Twins. In Buffalo , he was so far away from Vanek he probably did not know he played on the same team.

Edited by waldo

I'm not so sure about that one. Hodgson was a piece they desperately wanted. They were going to have to give something in order to get him. I'm not sure what else would have gotten it done.

I'm not so sure about that one. Hodgson was a piece they desperately wanted. They were going to have to give something in order to get him. I'm not sure what else would have gotten it done.

Exactly, we needed help down the middle and you weren't getting anything good for garbage, contrary to trades we propose at times on this board. In a way, Kassian doing well speaks more highly of Hodgson. As I've said earlier, I hope both do well.

The "system" does not permit it ,,,,,,,may be the point

The Kassian trade was foolish.... imo. (not a change of opinion) ..he had the potential to be exactly what the Sabres needed...water over the dam now.. he would have never been permitted to flourish in Buffalo

They put him on the first line.with the Twins. In Buffalo , he was so far away from Vanek he probably did not know he played on the same team.

None of what you said is accurate regarding Kassian last year though. If he was timid because of "the system", then why was he just as timid in Vancouver after he was there for two games? As far as playing him with the twins, again, that didn't happen last year. He was quickly relegated to 4th line duty and got a whopping 5 minutes per game in the playoffs. He was used the same way last year in Vancouver and in Buffalo. Give him another half season in the AHL during the lockout, who can say how he would have been used here this year? Nobody can. All we know is usage last year was the same, and this year he's been given an expanded role in Vancouver. Personally I think it goes to shrader's point about a young player taking time to adjust, but I'm going to assume those who think Ruff is a horrible coach who ruins players will never give that thought much serious consideration.

Let's make sure the logic fits here...

If Kassian was not physical enough because that is what the system dictated, then the Sabres would know this internally. That would rule out the reason that the Sabres traded him for being a concept and not a reality. Therefore, we would have top accept that he was traded because he had value and the Sabres needed centers.

If internally the Sabres wanted more realization of the concept, then that is on Kassian. Maybe he wanted to be a different player than what the concept called for? Maybe the trade and last year's result opened his eyes to his one true path to NHL success - making the concept a reality.

None of what you said is accurate regarding Kassian last year though. If he was timid because of "the system", then why was he just as timid in Vancouver after he was there for two games? As far as playing him with the twins, again, that didn't happen last year. He was quickly relegated to 4th line duty and got a whopping 5 minutes per game in the playoffs. He was used the same way last year in Vancouver and in Buffalo. Give him another half season in the AHL during the lockout, who can say how he would have been used here this year? Nobody can. All we know is usage last year was the same, and this year he's been given an expanded role in Vancouver. Personally I think it goes to shrader's point about a young player taking time to adjust, but I'm going to assume those who think Ruff is a horrible coach who ruins players will never give that thought much serious consideration.

IMO ..Ruff's record in Buffalo speaks for itself......His willingness to throw players under the bus,, embarass them publically when they make mistakes and inflexible managment style is all part of the historical record . I do not believe he has the players necessary to make a run using the system he employs . (this fact has been true for the past five years)

We were talking about Kassian I believe. Not Ruff. He is prospering now partly because of the differences in system and most importantly coaching .. Cudos to the assistant coaches in Vancover for integrating him so quickly.(one partial season) I believe he is on his way now, baring relapse and weather permitting . He was placed in a position it would be difficult not to be sucessfull in. Thats the difference in the way the two teams handle talent.

He was never going to prosper in Buffalo, regardless of the amount of time he was given to develop/mature in the AHL...IMO. I guess we have different perspectives.. Time will tell who got the better of the deal...

Edited by waldo