Hey Brad Riter and Paul Hamilton

PASabreFan

Do you guys know something that no one else in the Buffalo TV and radio media does? That Marty doesn't pronounce his name Beh-Rahn? It's kind of driving me nuts. I'm not going to jump down anyone's throat -- after all, almost everyone mispronounced Dominik's name all those years (Dom pronounced it "HAH-sheck"). But I'm almost positive that the first year after Hasek's departure, with all of the attention on our new starter, Marty said in an interview that his name was pronounced the way everyone says it today -- except Brad and Paul. Maybe I should call the whiner line.

With the way Buffalo has come undone in the last two games, maybe Sabres is pronounced RAngers.

"undone"? Really. They don't win 10 in a row and it's "undone"? How about a bad couple of games in a long season?

This team is not going to win every night. They have had some great runs but lets not jump ship when they hit a rough patch. I'm not even sure if two games is considered a rough patch. :(

"undone"? Really. They don't win 10 in a row and it's "undone"? How about a bad couple of games in a long season?

This team is not going to win every night. They have had some great runs but lets not jump ship when they hit a rough patch. I'm not even sure if two games is considered a rough patch. :(

They HAVE come undone the last two games. Just like the man said.

Your post these days always seem to bring a smile to my face...

Thanks.

It is much better that this team run into a rough spot now than in 4 weeks. They cannot just show up and win against anyone. Playing Boston three times and Washington recently perhaps has made them forget that.

I almost wonder if Ruff let them run into this week's buzz saw talking them up last week, to hammer that point home.

It's the lack of effort in the last two games that is troublesome. Not the fact that they lost.

Speaking of WGR, does anyone else have a tough time telling the difference between Brad Riter and the Bulldog? I guess I have a tin ear. Mike Schopp... there's no mistaking that whiny bitch. He's the one who's usually talking about how the NFL fixed the Bills game at New Orleans so the Saints would win. Oh man. And has there ever been a radio personality in Buffalo who was more rude to his callers? I think Mike shames even The Coach in that regard.

Speaking of WGR, does anyone else have a tough time telling the difference between Brad Riter and the Bulldog? I guess I have a tin ear. Mike Schopp... there's no mistaking that whiny bitch. He's the one who's usually talking about how the NFL fixed the Bills game at New Orleans so the Saints would win. Oh man. And has there ever been a radio personality in Buffalo who was more rude to his callers? I think Mike shames even The Coach in that regard.

Schopp was a different guy at WNSA. I'm not sure which one is the "real" Schopp, but I agree with you about the current one...he's very condescending. :angry:

On that note. Why does every DJ in every strip club sound exactly the same? Is it just me. :blush:

Bulldog is the one who sounds like he's spraying into the microphone.

Riter is the one who sounds like he just got out of school--talented, but he just sounds young. (Brad, since you watch this board once in a while, I'm hoping you take that the right way).

Schopp is still kind to his listeners--on his weekend national show on ESPN radio. See, he's still angling for an audience there, so he still has to be nice. Sux that he's turned sh*tty on the locals here in Buffalo.

Bulldog is the one who sounds like he's spraying into the microphone.

Riter is the one who sounds like he just got out of school--talented, but he just sounds young. (Brad, since you watch this board once in a while, I'm hoping you take that the right way).

Schopp is still kind to his listeners--on his weekend national show on ESPN radio. See, he's still angling for an audience there, so he still has to be nice. Sux that he's turned sh*tty on the locals here in Buffalo.

I was in town a couple days last week and I couldn't help but call in about Miller. Schopp just seemed like he was trying to fire through calls. He let me say what I wanted to say, said thanks, hung up, said my opinion was sensible and went right to the next caller.

I was in town a couple days last week and I couldn't help but call in about Miller. Schopp just seemed like he was trying to fire through calls. He let me say what I wanted to say, said thanks, hung up, said my opinion was sensible and went right to the next caller.

I heard your call. You were sensible.

Schopp was a different guy at WNSA. I'm not sure which one is the "real" Schopp, but I agree with you about the current one...he's very condescending. :angry:

He was great on WNSA. But listening to him on WGR and when he does ESPN the thought I have is that his nose is so far up in the air that they must mount the microphone on the ceiling.

To defend Mike a little bit. Football and Hockey are not his first loves. He would often rant on WNSA about there being other sports. He could easlily do hours on golf and tennis. He would actually try then get frustrated, rant how this is a two horse town then get calls when he changed to a Bills/Sabres topic. :(

He was great on WNSA. But listening to him on WGR and when he does ESPN the thought I have is that his nose is so far up in the air that they must mount the microphone on the ceiling.

To defend Mike a little bit. Football and Hockey are not his first loves. He would often rant on WNSA about there being other sports. He could easlily do hours on golf and tennis. He would actually try then get frustrated, rant how this is a two horse town then get calls when he changed to a Bills/Sabres topic. :(

D'oh'opp was horrible on 1180, was actually very listenable on WNSA, and became nearly as horrible on WGR as he was on WHAM.

You may be correct that part of the problem with him is that golf is his true love (and he does seem to enjoy tennis as well). If that is the case, he should go back to WHAM because the people in Ra-cha-cha are far more into it than those in Buffalo. My gut feel is that his problem is 2 part - 1, he thinks he is the smartest person in any room and "realizes" that sports call in show host is beneath him; and 2, WGR management seems to enjoy having their hosts be annoying. (Brad is the only one that doesn't annoy me, and Howard is still better than the afternoon pair but not as good as he was on WNSA.) WGR used to have "the Coach", and D'oh'opp and Howard are definitely not as good as they were on WNSA. IIRC, Bulldog used to be on WBEN a long time ago, and I thought he was decent then (maybe it was on WGR, but at any rate, I used to enjoy his weekend show about 10 years ago). Of course, Bulldog doesn't annoy me nearly as much when he has Brad with him, so maybe D'oh'opp's problem was spending the year or so together with "the Coach".

I did not know that Mike been picked up nationally on ESPN. Is he as much of a ladies-hygene-product bag there as he is on WGR?

PS - You wasted your 1,000th post on friggin' Mike D'oh'opp? How sad. (Where's that d'oh smiley when you need it?)

Welcome to the "I've gotta get a life" club. :P

Since I mostly work evenings, I've listened to an awful lot of WGR since September, and I have to say that I've really enjoyed their Sabres coverage. I generally enjoy Riter's work, but think his Pre-Game and Post-Game shows are much stronger than his nightly radio shows (which lately seem to only happen about twice a week...if that).

In general, I think that WGR has done a pretty solid job so far with their Sabres coverage. Paul Hamilton is well informed, and not only seems to asks intelligent questions of the players/coaches off the ice, but also gets kudos for not shying away from criticizing the team or individual players on nights when the effort just isn't there. The willingness to critique a team who you are the official station of shows you have at least a bit of journalistic credability. I also give Hamilton credit for having a rather exhaustive and pretty accurate knowledge of the league in general.

Of course, RJ and Lorentz are fantastic, though when listening on the radio, it does become obvious at times that they are announcing for TV viewers first and foremost. RJ doesn't mention the time and score nearly as often as he did in his days before the TV/Radio simulcast and Lorentz's replay analysis, while interesting when you're watching on TV is generally useless if you're stuck listening over the radio. That being said, I wouldn't rather have a radio only broadcast team...a couple VERY minor "annoyances" are more than offset by RJ's play calling, inflection and excitement.

I feel that Howard Simon still is a good host, when he's talking sports. Jeremy White regrettably seems to have become a more prominent part of his show, and since the Bills season has ended, I believe has had maybe 3 interesting things to say. Lately, Simon seems content to let White go off on his own little pop-culture tangents, that generally don't result in anything interesting. While I thought the morning show did a really good job with their Bills coverage (I generally found myself in agreement with them, as opposed to Schopp's "analysis" in the afternoon), I think the morning show has grown weaker since the end of January. They do better when White talks less, and Simon interviews an intelligent guest. Those two days last week where it was just Simon and Robataille were absolutely fantastic. White needs to go back to just pre-producing amusing NFL "Philms" summaries and chiming in for just a few seconds at a time.

As for Schopp...I agree that not since the Coach has there been a radio host who, in general is more rude and seemingly disinterested in their callers. I generally don't think Schopp is funny (could his "I have an announcement" routine get any lamer?) and too often simply tries too hard to play devil's advocate against sound arguments. I remember listening to Bulldog back on his evenings with WBEN, and have always liked the guy. There are times I feel bad that he's stuck in a studio with Schopp for 4 hours a day. The afternoons that the show is moved to the Arena's atrium must be wonderfull for Bulldog...it's about the only place in Buffalo that can comfortably house both Bulldog as well as Schopp's ego. The day he leaves WGR for a full time crappy time slot on ESPN radio will be a happy day on my headphones.

D'oh'opp was horrible on 1180, was actually very listenable on WNSA, and became nearly as horrible on WGR as he was on WHAM.

You may be correct that part of the problem with him is that golf is his true love (and he does seem to enjoy tennis as well). If that is the case, he should go back to WHAM because the people in Ra-cha-cha are far more into it than those in Buffalo. My gut feel is that his problem is 2 part - 1, he thinks he is the smartest person in any room and "realizes" that sports call in show host is beneath him; and 2, WGR management seems to enjoy having their hosts be annoying. (Brad is the only one that doesn't annoy me, and Howard is still better than the afternoon pair but not as good as he was on WNSA.) WGR used to have "the Coach", and D'oh'opp and Howard are definitely not as good as they were on WNSA. IIRC, Bulldog used to be on WBEN a long time ago, and I thought he was decent then (maybe it was on WGR, but at any rate, I used to enjoy his weekend show about 10 years ago). Of course, Bulldog doesn't annoy me nearly as much when he has Brad with him, so maybe D'oh'opp's problem was spending the year or so together with "the Coach".

I did not know that Mike been picked up nationally on ESPN. Is he as much of a ladies-hygene-product bag there as he is on WGR?

PS - You wasted your 1,000th post on friggin' Mike D'oh'opp? How sad. (Where's that d'oh smiley when you need it?)

Welcome to the "I've gotta get a life" club. :P

You mention golf and tennis, but I always get the impression Shopp wants to ram baseball talk down everyones throats. Not only does he constantly harp on the Bills, but in more general terms he a ton about the NFL.

PS I also agree that it's a compeltely different Shopp when he is on ESPN Radio on the weekends.

Jeremy White regrettably seems to have become a more prominent part of his show, and since the Bills season has ended, I believe has had maybe 3 interesting things to say. Lately, Simon seems content to let White go off on his own little pop-culture tangents, that generally don't result in anything interesting. While I thought the morning show did a really good job with their Bills coverage (I generally found myself in agreement with them, as opposed to Schopp's "analysis" in the afternoon), I think the morning show has grown weaker since the end of January. They do better when White talks less, and Simon interviews an intelligent guest. Those two days last week where it was just Simon and Robataille were absolutely fantastic. White needs to go back to just pre-producing amusing NFL "Philms" summaries and chiming in for just a few seconds at a time.

I've felt the same way since they paired up White with Simon. I always thought he was there to do the 20/20 sports and chime in every now and then. Instead he takes over entire segments. I'll add one note of disagreement to your observations...White is not as funny as he thinks.

You mention golf and tennis, but I always get the impression Shopp wants to ram baseball talk down everyones throats. Not only does he constantly harp on the Bills, but in more general terms he a ton about the NFL.

PS I also agree that it's a compeltely different Shopp when he is on ESPN Radio on the weekends.

I've felt the same way since they paired up White with Simon. I always thought he was there to do the 20/20 sports and chime in every now and then. Instead he takes over entire segments. I'll add one note of disagreement to your observations...White is not as funny as he thinks.

I don't get to hear HoSi very often but I still enjoy his style. As for Shopp, I have listened to him from the beginging on 1280(not 1180, Dave B). I know his "sports talk for smart people" thing rubs many the wrong way but I feel most callers to sports radio are morons. It is usualy some yahoo calling in with their bolckbuster trade of Biron and Pyatt for Forsberg or JP Losman and a #1 draft pick for Reggie Bush.

Another peev I have about sports talk radio is the lack of knowledge by everyone in general. If I have to hear another host/caller refer to a player as a #1 pick when in fact they meant a first round pick. "Vanek, a #1 pick...", doesn't that imply that he was first overall. These are the same people who screw up the Ervin, Irvin, and Irving thing. It's Ervin Johnson, Michael Irvin and Irving Texas. If I had a dollar for everytime one of those was substituted for the other during the 90's. Ahhhhhhh...

I don't get to hear HoSi very often but I still enjoy his style. As for Shopp, I have listened to him from the beginging on 1280(not 1180, Dave B). I know his "sports talk for smart people" thing rubs many the wrong way but I feel most callers to sports radio are morons. It is usualy some yahoo calling in with their bolckbuster trade of Biron and Pyatt for Forsberg or JP Losman and a #1 draft pick for Reggie Bush.

Another peev I have about sports talk radio is the lack of knowledge by everyone in general. If I have to hear another host/caller refer to a player as a #1 pick when in fact they meant a first round pick. "Vanek, a #1 pick...", doesn't that imply that he was first overall. These are the same people who screw up the Ervin, Irvin, and Irving thing. It's Ervin Johnson, Michael Irvin and Irving Texas. If I had a dollar for everytime one of those was substituted for the other during the 90's. Ahhhhhhh...

Ink, if you're gonna be picky...it's "Earvin Johnson," with an 'a'.

I gave a rare listen to WGR yesterday. Schopp kept repeating the lamest joke ever, and Schopp and Bulldog were talking about some skater they'd like to nail. They're worse than SDS! But the thing that bugged me the most, besides their "Craig Nall all the time" coverage was when they started making fun of the first name of one of the free agents visiting the Bills. Monsanto, I think, was the guy's first name. One of them said he couldn't imagine what ethnicity that was, and the pair went on to have some fun with the name. Maybe I am too PC these days and have lost my sense of humor, but I didn't see the humor. I think Buffalo, New York, is probably the last place to get a laugh by making fun of someone's "ethnic-sounding" name.

As for Shopp, I have listened to him from the beginging on 1280(not 1180, Dave B). I know his "sports talk for smart people" thing rubs many the wrong way but I feel most callers to sports radio are morons.

Schopp dropped the "sports talk for smart people" theme when he came to WGR. It was replaced with "I'm a condescending prick and you're idiots". ;)

Archived