OT - Steve Jobs has died

LGR4GM

Gallows humor is all the rage.

As for the credit, Apple's (and by extension Steve Jobs') skill isn't really innovating, everything they've done has been done before. There were MP3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone, and tablets before the iPad. Apple refined the devices in such a way that the average consumer wants them, but since many hadn't seen the predecessors they think Apple invented the stuff. It's similar to Microsoft, there's very little they do that hasn't been done before as well.

I'm no particular fan of Apple, although I once was. In the last few years, they've gone from just making 'Insanely Great' devices and software to suing various competitors over BS patents and trademarks. They're trying to stop various companies from selling devices because they look vaguely like and iDevice. When you don't innovate, litigate.

http://www.osnews.com/story/25056/The_Community_Design_and_you_Thought_the_USPTO_Was_Bad/page2/

Take a look at the sketches and ask yourself, how are you supposed to make a phone or tablet that *doesn't* look like a rectangle with a screen in the middle.

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/mobile-wireless/3298055/apple-files-inaccurate-evidence-again-in-vicious-case-over-samsung-galaxy-tab/

Manipulated evidence as well.

Sure it's all been done before, but my MacBook Pro is better than any other computer I've ever used. I used a Microsoft Zune MP3 for years before I got my first iPod, but I never went back once I made the switch (though admittedly I barely even use my iPod much anymore). Old Macintosh computers were a little before my time, but the iMac's I used in college are far and away the best desktop computer I've ever used (I still prefer the MacBook though due to convenience). I've never had an iPhone but I'm not gonna doubt the overwhelming public opinion that it's the best smart phone on the market. The iPad, well, not really my style -- I can't imagine many advantages to using a tablet over a laptop. Sure he didn't "invent" all of these things, but he perfected them. Perhaps most importantly, the ease in which these Apple products communicate and integrate with each other is another huge plus for Apple.

I agree with your stance on the lawsuits but that's beside the point, and frankly those lawsuits won't effect me one/one-millionth of the amount that Apple products have.

Gallows humor is all the rage.

As for the credit, Apple's (and by extension Steve Jobs') skill isn't really innovating, everything they've done has been done before. There were MP3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone, and tablets before the iPad. Apple refined the devices in such a way that the average consumer wants them, but since many hadn't seen the predecessors they think Apple invented the stuff. It's similar to Microsoft, there's very little they do that hasn't been done before as well.

I'm no particular fan of Apple, although I once was. In the last few years, they've gone from just making 'Insanely Great' devices and software to suing various competitors over BS patents and trademarks. They're trying to stop various companies from selling devices because they look vaguely like and iDevice. When you don't innovate, litigate.

http://www.osnews.co..._Was_Bad/page2/

Take a look at the sketches and ask yourself, how are you supposed to make a phone or tablet that *doesn't* look like a rectangle with a screen in the middle.

http://www.computerw...ung-galaxy-tab/

Manipulated evidence as well.

Really? You're THAT guy. :thumbdown:

Not to be disrespectful, but I don't get the fanfare. He was another computer geek who broke ground in the field around the time that Gates did. OK............so?

How many of bill gates creations are you using because you choose to, not because you have to.

Pixar alone would have earned this guy the fanfare.

Archived