The "New Arena"

Eleven

1) OK. Let's start with the much-heralded improvements to the food stands. Frankly, no improvement. Nicer signs, and I guess what was supposed to be a nod to Buffalo (but "Peace Bridge Pizza" is now just "pizza! pizza!"), but the exact same tired less-than-food from Jeremy Jacobs. The renamed pizza looked inedible, as did the renamed hotdogs; the Pile High sandwich station is still there and probably still doesn't pile a sandwich high. I know, I'm being negative, but it's honest.

There is a new "cantina" just up the stairs from the lobby, but it serves the same crappy burritos that were around last year near Aisle 18.

The food has NOT changed, despite the presser last week. I still am left wondering (a) why we're beholden to Delaware North, which does VERY little for B-Lo and owns the Bruins and (b) why arenas in Toronto and Washington can have decent and somewhat fresh food, but we cannot. (MSG, the only other hockey arena I've been to, was equally disgusting, but that was 2000.)

2) The lobby has not changed dramatically. It's nice to see the "We Live Hockey" mural, but everything else is the same. This isn't negative; it's neutral.

3) Good to see the slugs gone from the scoreboard, and I like the new center stripe (more conservative) and the yellow paint as opposed to red. They've finally figured it out: it's a Sabres arena, and not some multi-sport complex.

4) A line so long at the Sabres store--while the anthems were sung--that they were letting in five at a time. That's gotta be because of the promotion, right?

But all in all, hey, I'm there for the team. I'm very disappointed in the "improved" (not really) concession stands that were touted last week. I'll keep eating before games, thank you, and that's too bad, because I'd rather eat at the game. I don't need a steak and a salad; I just need a couple of slices of pizza that actually are palatable, or a hotdog that actually looks like it was cooked.

EDIT also this: 5) MOST of the time, but not all of the time, the music between whistles was loud enough, but not so loud that I couldn't have a conversation with the person next to me. Still needs work, but it was better than last year. Also: Shocktop on tap! Good call there.

1) OK. Let's start with the much-heralded improvements to the food stands. Frankly, no improvement. Nicer signs, and I guess what was supposed to be a nod to Buffalo (but "Peace Bridge Pizza" is now just "pizza! pizza!"), but the exact same tired less-than-food from Jeremy Jacobs. The renamed pizza looked inedible, as did the renamed hotdogs; the Pile High sandwich station is still there and probably still doesn't pile a sandwich high. I know, I'm being negative, but it's honest.

There is a new "cantina" just up the stairs from the lobby, but it serves the same crappy burritos that were around last year near Aisle 18.

The food has NOT changed, despite the presser last week. I still am left wondering (a) why we're beholden to Delaware North, which does VERY little for B-Lo and owns the Bruins and (b) why arenas in Toronto and Washington can have decent and somewhat fresh food, but we cannot. (MSG, the only other hockey arena I've been to, was equally disgusting, but that was 2000.)

2) The lobby has not changed dramatically. It's nice to see the "We Live Hockey" mural, but everything else is the same. This isn't negative; it's neutral.

3) Good to see the slugs gone from the scoreboard, and I like the new center stripe (more conservative) and the yellow paint as opposed to red. They've finally figured it out: it's a Sabres arena, and not some multi-sport complex.

4) A line so long at the Sabres store--while the anthems were sung--that they were letting in five at a time. That's gotta be because of the promotion, right?

But all in all, hey, I'm there for the team. I'm very disappointed in the "improved" (not really) concession stands that were touted last week. I'll keep eating before games, thank you, and that's too bad, because I'd rather eat at the game. I don't need a steak and a salad; I just need a couple of slices of pizza that actually are palatable, or a hotdog that actually looks like it was cooked.

EDIT also this: 5) MOST of the time, but not all of the time, the music between whistles was loud enough, but not so loud that I couldn't have a conversation with the person next to me. Still needs work, but it was better than last year. Also: Shocktop on tap! Good call there.

I agree 100% on Delaware North. The much heralded food court at the one end of the 100 level last year was....mediocre at best. I remember seeing somebody's order of nachos which made Mighty Taco look like gourmet food. The burrito didn't look much better. Other than a fried baloney, nachos or pretzel with cheese, I'll pass on everything. How anyone gets one of those burger baskets after seeing the cooked hamburgers sitting in grease/water is beyond me.

Ted Black...work your magic and make Delaware North disappear. Hopefully the only reason they are still around is because of an inherited contract.

I agree 100% on Delaware North. The much heralded food court at the one end of the 100 level last year was....mediocre at best. I remember seeing somebody's order of nachos which made Mighty Taco look like gourmet food. The burrito didn't look much better. Other than a fried baloney, nachos or pretzel with cheese, I'll pass on everything. How anyone gets one of those burger baskets after seeing the cooked hamburgers sitting in grease/water is beyond me.

Ted Black...work your magic and make Delaware North disappear. Hopefully the only reason they are still around is because of an inherited contract.

Knowing what we know about Pegula and Black, that's GOT to be the only reason, right? Contracts can be bought out, but I don't necessarily expect that out of Team Pegs. Put it this way: I'd rather have the growl in my belly during the game, grab slices on the way home or make something when I get home, and see wins. I do not have high hopes for the food stands at the F'n Center. But damn, the food SUCKS.

waaaahhhhbulance

Not really. They made a pretty big deal last week about new food offerings. Didn't happen; that's ok, and read up on what I said about preferring a good team over good food.

Thanks for the report Eleven.

YW. Beer me!

Why the hell isn't there a Mighty Taco IN the damn arena?

See, I was on to something with my criticism of Jeremy Jacobs in the Hydro Fracking thread. The food is very questionable and that's criminal and unethical. In fact, it could be a legal liability if it causes sickness. I say they should switch it up and use Rich's which happens to be one of my customers and they are local also. Okay, I'm not serious about Rich's (they are my customer but not necessarily should switch concessions), but I was right that questionable food is more unethical than hydro fracking.

See, I was on to something with my criticism of Jeremy Jacobs in the Hydro Fracking thread. The food is very questionable and that's criminal and unethical. In fact, it could be a legal liability if it causes sickness. I say they should switch it up and use Rich's which happens to be one of my customers and they are local also. Okay, I'm not serious about Rich's (they are my customer but not necessarily should switch concessions), but I was right that questionable food is more unethical than hydro fracking.

1) I won't read that thread because it has become politicized. If I want that angst, I'll go elsewhere.

2) Rich's food is no better and that company has treated this city worse than Del-Norte ever did. Basically, in my mind, the Rich family can ###### right off.

3) Yes, questionable food is worse than hydrofracking, but I hardly think we're being fed Soylent Green at the F'n Center. Let's not take it that far.

I will say that the game day special in the 200 club was pretty good after the Pegulas came to town. Noticeably better. The rest of the stuff was the same but the specials were really tasty.

They were talking about selling tall cans of beer at the main bar too.

I expect better food like Eleven has said based on what they have been saying about improvements but would be satisfied with a A+ product on the ice.

1) I won't read that thread because it has become politicized. If I want that angst, I'll go elsewhere.

2) Rich's food is no better and that company has treated this city worse than Del-Norte ever did. Basically, in my mind, the Rich family can ###### right off.

3) Yes, questionable food is worse than hydrofracking, but I hardly think we're being fed Soylent Green at the F'n Center. Let's not take it that far.

Yeah, I am really not taking that hydro fracking thread too seriously, you should see my posts. Also, my post was also a joke here as well. I try not to take the board and posts too seriously.

It's been a while since I lived in Buffalo, so I don't know what Rich's has done to alienate the city. They happen to use my software, but on a pretty old version. But, I do believe they have a food service division, so it is conceivable to take over food concessions, but again, I do not know their food all that well aside from Carvel Ice Cream.

Yeah, I am really not taking that hydro fracking thread too seriously, you should see my posts. Also, my post was also a joke here as well. I try not to take the board and posts too seriously.

It's been a while since I lived in Buffalo, so I don't know what Rich's has done to alienate the city. They happen to use my software, but on a pretty old version. But, I do believe they have a food service division, so it is conceivable to take over food concessions, but again, I do not know their food all that well aside from Carvel Ice Cream.

Basically, in the mid-90s, once the dream of a MLB team was gone, Rich chose not to prefer Buffalo suppliers over nationwide suppliers. Yeah, it helped its profits. But it would have been profitable even with Buffalo suppliers, and well, in this city, we look for the win-win every time we can get it. Rich chose not to. A lot of suppliers lost a huge client, and a lot of employees at said suppliers lost jobs. It turned from a win-win into a win-lose really quickly.

That was shameful enough. Then, Rich began curtailing operations at its Niagara Street production facility. All manufacturing ended last year: http://www.buffalonews.com/business/article99420.ece

Not exactly a good corporate citizen. Rich Products is like the antithesis of M&T or First Niagara. Those organizations are builders. Rich just didn't have the mettle to give and take. It just took. Sorry about my views on your client, man.

Basically, in the mid-90s, once the dream of a MLB team was gone, Rich chose not to prefer Buffalo suppliers over nationwide suppliers. Yeah, it helped its profits. But it would have been profitable even with Buffalo suppliers, and well, in this city, we look for the win-win every time we can get it. Rich chose not to. A lot of suppliers lost a huge client, and a lot of employees at said suppliers lost jobs. It turned from a win-win into a win-lose really quickly.

That was shameful enough. Then, Rich began curtailing operations at its Niagara Street production facility. All manufacturing ended last year: http://www.buffalonews.com/business/article99420.ece

Not exactly a good corporate citizen. Rich Products is like the antithesis of M&T or First Niagara. Those organizations are builders. Rich just didn't have the mettle to give and take. It just took. Sorry about my views on your client, man.

I'm not offended. Some of my customers are pains to me and I don't like dealing with them. So, not a big deal. They also use my software for R&D and creation of new products not related to manufacturing.

Second, are you referring to ingredient suppliers for their products? They chose nationwide suppliers versus local suppliers? Since they are a private company, they can afford to get away with lower profit margins than say a publicly traded company. But, that's a corporate decision they made although I have some concerns on non-local suppliers for food products based on freshness and expiration, but that would be my concern. Fundamentally, in food products, you want suppliers located closest to manufacturing facilities to preserve freshness and prevent spoilage prior to expiration. So, if they are choosing suppliers closer to their manufacturing locations (wherever they are), I would not begrudge them for that as that is good manufacturing practice for Food Manufacturing.

If your beef is with the fact that they have moved manufacturing out of Buffalo and therefore use nationwide suppliers based on the locations of their manufacturing facilities, then that's another topic. With regards to manufacturing in this country in general, that's a whole other topic. I won't get into that as that is just way too controversial and is like talking religion or politics.

I'm not offended. Some of my customers are pains to me and I don't like dealing with them. So, not a big deal. They also use my software for R&D and creation of new products not related to manufacturing.

Second, are you referring to ingredient suppliers for their products? They chose nationwide suppliers versus local suppliers? Since they are a private company, they can afford to get away with lower profit margins than say a publicly traded company. But, that's a corporate decision they made although I have some concerns on non-local suppliers for food products based on freshness and expiration, but that would be my concern. Fundamentally, in food products, you want suppliers located closest to manufacturing facilities to preserve freshness and prevent spoilage prior to expiration. So, if they are choosing suppliers closer to their manufacturing locations (wherever they are), I would not begrudge them for that as that is good manufacturing practice for Food Manufacturing.

If your beef is with the fact that they have moved manufacturing out of Buffalo and therefore use nationwide suppliers based on the locations of their manufacturing facilities, then that's another topic. With regards to manufacturing in this country in general, that's a whole other topic. I won't get into that as that is just way too controversial and is like talking religion or politics.

Not just ingredient suppliers. Shipping materials suppliers. Advertising suppliers. EVERYTHING suppliers. They basically pulled out and gave the finger to Buffalo. But I agree that we shouldn't clutter this thread.

I guess I am expecting a turnaround with the food at the arena...center.

Team Pegula seems to be listening to the fans.

This town and this area boast the best food of any kind.

Name somewhere else that has the variety of excellent food that you can find in this area.

Given that, the food at the F'NC should represent and provide all the great cuisine this area is known for.

It'll come.

This group seems intent on satisfying the fans.

Tonight, We had the obligatory nachos and the fries-in-a-cup.

Meh

The usual crap I should say no to.

There was a a sausage place by Aisle 19 entrance that wasn't there last year. Had an Italian sausage that was pretty tasty. Anyways, I go to hockey games for the hockey ... not the food. But I realize other people want it all in one package.

It was there last year. Also has polish sausage, for those who prefer their sausage polished. It's not too bad. It was my go-to joint when I absolutely had to eat and was sick of the roast beef at Poor Man's, which also is ok.

Archived