Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers...

SDS

After a long, rough week - I'm finally back home. I returned on Friday night to blistering heat and no phone/TV/internet (FIOS). I just got the service fixed this morning.

My mother passed peacefully Sunday morning with me and my sister by her side. She let go a few minutes after her husband left. She claimed he was the "perfect man" for her, but I know a lot of that had to do with his loss of hearing. ;)

She battled AML (Leukemia) since September. The cancer was gone, but it was likely to return (80%) and perhaps even quickly (3 months? 1 year?... who knows). Her only potential cure was a bone marrow transplant. We found a match in Feb., but it ultimately wasn't good enough. She needed to be symptom free after the BMT for 100 days to have statistics on her side. She made it to day 90. What was supposed to be a couple days in the hospital turned into 9-10 weeks.

She never left.

Her mind was strong and she fought to the end, but her body could no longer cooperate. The GVHD she was fighting (body rejecting the bone marrow) took too much out of her. The steroids were devastating and the recovery never materialized.

Bucky Gleason wrote a wonderful piece in the Buffalo News on her life. I am forever grateful to him. His last line will stay with me forever as will his words stay with my mother (we printed them and laid them by her side).

Her arrangements were a celebration of her life in harness racing. I highly recommend Michael Tomaslewski's Funeral Home in Batavia. He did an amazing job and his facility is top notch.

I would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. It means a great deal to me. There was even one member who came to the wake. That was was truly very special to me... I hope I can return the kindness you all have shown me someday.

Here is the top of my mother's vault. My best friend from high school's company does these special applique's. They did an amazing job:

SaramaProof3.jpg

Bucky Gleason wrote a wonderful piece in the Buffalo News on her life. I am forever grateful to him. His last line will stay with me forever as will his words stay with my mother (we printed them and laid them by her side).

post-1-085024900 1311523536_thumb.jpg

I only read the first few paragraphs the first time. I had no idea that this was your mother even though the name is there. A very nice article and tribute to your mother.

post-1-085024900 1311523536_thumb.jpg

That was a beautiful piece. I pictured a woman full of smarts, class, integrity and a natural flair. Someone I would be very proud to know. As I am sure, you were. God Bless.

Thanks for all the kind words. SDS

She is doing better today, Had a collapsed lung this weekend and almost didn't make it. She is going to a Hospice care facility Thursday from the ICU. Seems like Radiation from a CT/PET, to check on the treatment effectiveness, last week may have triggered this, basically her body saying she has had enough. Today she was doing better as sometimes happens. But the prognosis is the fight is over... Once again, thank you.

She is doing better today, Had a collapsed lung this weekend and almost didn't make it. She is going to a Hospice care facility Thursday from the ICU. Seems like Radiation from a CT/PET, to check on the treatment effectiveness, last week may have triggered this, basically her body saying she has had enough. Today she was doing better as sometimes happens. But the prognosis is the fight is over... Once again, thank you.

Hang Tough :(

Make her comfortable, say the things you need to, be near, be at peace.

In my experience with tough old Irish girls - we had to give them permission to quit fighting - and then let them know it was okay to pass and that we would all be okay.

Archived