ice girls

streetcarp77

Didn't the Sabres have cheerleaders / dancers hanging around at most of the concourse entrances for 1 or 2 seasons in the late '80's? (IIRC, they were taking a page from the St. Louis Blues.)

Or am I just mis-remembering this and getting them confused w/ the Stampede that did have dancers a few years later?

Ice girls.. Um yeah.. If I have to watch folks clean the ice every TV timeout, I'd rather see attractive women do it. We watch the ice cleaning crews anyways, why not be entertained?

I'm not understanding the "it's classless" comments. Who are you people, and have you BEEN to Buffalo? The "ice girls" I've seen at various arenas aren't in stripper getup or anything like that, and they do absolutely nothing to detract from the game.

The day I go ANYwhere and am not interested in seeing attractive women is the day I officially "give up" on life.

Didn't the Sabres have cheerleaders / dancers hanging around at most of the concourse entrances for 1 or 2 seasons in the late '80's? (IIRC, they were taking a page from the St. Louis Blues.)

Or am I just mis-remembering this and getting them confused w/ the Stampede that did have dancers a few years later?

They were the Sabrette's... I almost married one. But that's when we still played in the Aud, I don't believe they survived the Rigas' cuts...

Quote from TB "Answer: Some have asked for the Sabrettes to return. I asked them, but several are like in their 60s..."

I think they allowed the Stallions cheerleaders at some of the Sabres games as a cross-promotion.

I'm not understanding the "it's classless" comments. Who are you people, and have you BEEN to Buffalo? The "ice girls" I've seen at various arenas aren't in stripper getup or anything like that, and they do absolutely nothing to detract from the game.

The day I go ANYwhere and am not interested in seeing attractive women is the day I officially "give up" on life.

This may be the sanest post ever written in this forum.

I can't find any video footage on YouTube, but does anyone remember the cheerleaders that were dancing on the stairs at the hockey matches during the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino? That really wasn't all that bad.

Yeah....that tends to happen in a pool of 19,000 people.

At any given game you can also usually find:

A blind person

A concentration camp survivor

A current/past member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

Ronan Tynan is a Mormon? crap, i thought he was an Irish Catholic... :oops:

They were the Sabrette's... I almost married one. But that's when we still played in the Aud, I don't believe they survived the Rigas' cuts...

Quote from TB "Answer: Some have asked for the Sabrettes to return. I asked them, but several are like in their 60s..."

I thought that's what they were called but a REAL quick Google search wasn't turning anything up, so I was wondering if I was just misremembering.

Thanks for the info. :beer:

Too bad about the marraige. (Or not. ;))

Just so it's said once, and I haven't read it all, so maybe it has been... we don't need ice fairies with figure skates on the ice while a game is going on. Bad idea.

While I really could care less ... SOMEONE with SOME SORT of skates is going to go on the ice during TV timeouts and shovel up the snow. It's not like they dash out there during a power play when the puck does down to the other end and then race off to get out of the way. There are already people doing this job, they just are not much to look at (with all due respect).

Archived