Jeff Carter trade rumor

inkman

This makes sense for both sides although I'm not sure of Voracek's upside. Think the Sabres could do better? Ennis plus a first?

How about pommers and hecht and our first to columbus for there first and vorachek than we trade that for carter ourselves but throw in Sekera/butler? Crazy but lets do it!

How about pommers and hecht and our first to columbus for there first and vorachek than we trade that for carter ourselves but throw in Sekera/butler? Crazy but lets do it!

Philly is trying to unload salary...and they want young players with upside, not older overpaid middling vets.

Philly is trying to unload salary...and they want young players with upside, not older overpaid middling vets.

philly wouldnt be getting overpaid middling vets. didnt you read it? Columbus would be getting the vets and we would be getting columbus pick and voracek, then we would be turning that over to philly and tossing in butler/sekera

Pommers + Hecht +1st to Columbus for Vorachek and 1st

Then Buffalo Takes Voracek and 1st + butler/sekera to Philly for Carter

Columbus needs a linemate for Nash.........and they need ticket sales... they lost tens of millions last year.

Specifically, Columbus needs a center for Nash. And they need a marquee name to sell to the fans. That collection of overpriced misfits that KTM keeps wanting to dump off are neither.

Specifically, Columbus needs a center for Nash. And they need a marquee name to sell to the fans. That collection of overpriced misfits that KTM keeps wanting to dump off are neither.

and we need a center for Vanek. so EFF Columbus.

Never mind what Philly wants or what Columbus thinks. Pominville, Hecht Sekera and a first for Carter is not a win for the Sabres unless it clears salary for an equally big acquisition.

I like Carter, but the lack of appreciation for Pominville on this board never ceases to amaze me.

I would pass. I would keep Ennis. Cheaper contract, and don't want to saddle the cap with an 11 year deal. the ONLY way I would ever consider taking on that kind of contract is is we were talking Crosby.

Carter is a heck of a player, but not 11 year good.

I'd rather target Paul Stasny myself - smaller contract...

Carter is good...but.....11 year contract and much more of a goal scorer than a play-maker IMO.....

Just a preference.

Echo that, as well as dudacek's point.

Not interested in Carter. No heart. There's a reason he's the one up for grabs instead of Richards or Briere.

Maybe so, but if he comes in and bangs a couple of player's wives and girlfriends maybe the team will develop a consistent edge. Is there a NTC? If so, show Carter a picture of Miller's gal. :thumbsup:

Never mind what Philly wants or what Columbus thinks. Pominville, Hecht Sekera and a first for Carter is not a win for the Sabres unless it clears salary for an equally big acquisition.

I like Carter, but the lack of appreciation for Pominville on this board never ceases to amaze me.

I fail to understand how the opinion on Pominville and his bloated contract falls under the pretext of "lack of appreciation".

Surely, we as fans can disect the very good 2 way play and 60 to 65 point seasons averaging Pominville brings to the table and balance that with his inability since the Ottawa playoff series years ago to be clutch, his consistent lack of ability to move players off of pucks, his more than obvious shortcomings in halfwall, corner and behind the net puck control and most of all, his inherent obsession with shooting the puck 70% of the time wide right or over the net.

At a 5.3 million dollar cap hit, I, as a fan, expect a more Corey Perry type performance. I'm not feeling it whenever I see Pominville play.

So please, have some compassion and forgive us fans that feel a portion of the cap space he is currently abusing in his contract can be utilized towards improving other areas of the team.

:beer: ;)

Not interested in Carter. No heart. There's a reason he's the one up for grabs instead of Richards or Briere.

I'd like to counter point his "No heart" with his more than skilled shooting, especially given the wingers we have, who appear more content to be garbage goal collecters for the most part. Carter would fit very nicely between Stafford and Ennis in my opinion.

The guy is a sniper and his stats bare this out. He's 26 years old with a roughly 5.273 million a year cap hit for 10 years.

If I'm Buffalo, I've just found the perfect line 2 center that locked up at a reasonable price right through his prime.

I'm all over that.

Not to mention he Carter has won gold medals with Team Canada at the under-18 and under-20 levels. During his under-20 career, he tied as Canada's all-time leading scorer at the World Juniors and was named to back-to-back Tournament All-Star Teams. He has also represented Canada at the 2006 IIHF World Championship.

Theer is a reason the Philadelphia Flyers selected him 11th overall in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

People fool themselves into believing this kid would not be an absolute solid pickup for the Sabres in a trade, if one can be done.

He is exactly what Pegula and Company are looking for. Immediately contributes to better the club while going for a cup run within 3 seasons while at the same time fitting the other Pegula and Company goal which was to bring talent in that is longterm. 10 years at a reasonable contract........

Yea, I'm sniffing out a deal for this guy all day long.

Your first post absolutely nailed why fans are frustrated with JP. And your second nailed why I think he's underappreciated.

And to be completely clear, I'd like to pick up Carter as well, and I'd trade Pominville straight up for him because this team has good depth on the wings and needs a centre.

Pominville is a better defensive player, Carter a better goal scorer. Neither is a physical force.

Carter is 27, with 343 points in 461 games. In the playoffs he's added 23 points in 53 games

Pominville is 28, with 358 in 459; playoffs it's 32 in 50.

Carter also makes makes similar money to Pominville.

Why exactly is his a reasonable contract, and Pominville's is bloated?

;)

Your first post absolutely nailed why fans are frustrated with JP. And your second nailed why I think he's underappreciated.

And to be completely clear, I'd like to pick up Carter as well, and I'd trade Pominville straight up for him because this team has good depth on the wings and needs a centre.

Pominville is a better defensive player, Carter a better goal scorer. Neither is a physical force.

Carter is 27, with 343 points in 461 games. In the playoffs he's added 23 points in 53 games

;)

Carter is only 26 and Pominville will be 29 in the early part of the season. He is a more prolific goal scorer. It's been 5 years since Pominville scored 30 goals for the only time in his career. Pominville may be a slightly better defensive player. That gap in their defensive play is far less than the gap in their goal scoring ability. Carter is the better value for the dollars. Carter's ceiling as a NHL goal scorer is much higher than Pominville's. It is unlikely Pominville will ever see 30 goals again.

;)

Your paying the roughly same amount of money for a different position, and in my opinion, the more important position is center. Successful teams are building their rosters from the middle out, not from the wings in.

Pominville has a real problem with putting shots on net, in case you hadn't noticed. Carter doesn't have that issue and the stat comparison of the 2 players bare that out.

Also, I never stated Carter was a 2 way forward. Pominville however, is. I'd give up Pominville for Carter everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

And to the individual that posted just below you. No where did I state that because Pominville played for us he is not a good player. I think we have a bit of a Buffalo sports fan personality syndrome going on there. Might I recommend a little Dr. Phil at 4, or maybe some Dr. Drew on CNN? It could helpy washy away the blues :unsure: ;)

All I am pointing out is you have a player like Corey Perry making the same money at the same position and that's the type of player I pay 5.3 mil to, not a decent 2 way player like Pominville. My opinion?, Pomers was worth 4 to 4.25 max. Face it, the guy can't hit the broadside of a barn when it comes to shooting most of the time.

Back to Carter, that cap hit is about as friendly as they come when you look 5 to 7 years down the road and he's on the backside of his prime and still producing, especially those goal totals. I've got a winger named Ennis that would love to play with a Center who is a sniper and knows how to play the 2 on 1 situations. I've got another winger that plays decent with Ennis in Stafford who I am sure would love to have this guy as his center.

It would be a solid pickup, Stafford played alot of time on the PK last season in case no one noticed. Carter doesn't need to be the positional guy in so far as every special teams, PP will do nicely as long as he is successful. And once again, judging by his play and ability to hit the net, YES PLEASE TO JEFF CARTER. :beer:

Carter is only 26 and Pominville will be 29 in the early part of the season. He is a more prolific goal scorer. It's been 5 years since Pominville scored 30 goals for the only time in his career. Pominville may be a slightly better defensive player. That gap in their defensive play is far less than the gap in their goal scoring ability. Carter is the better value for the dollars. Carter's ceiling as a NHL goal scorer is much higher than Pominville's. It is unlikely Pominville will ever see 30 goals again.

I tend to agree with you DeLuca.

All good points regarding why Carter > Pomminstein. But the biggest point is missing. Carter is a winner. The only thing Pomminstein has ever won is a Selke trophy in the Q for gentlemanly play. Carter was a key part of gold medal teams and a Flyer team that came out of nowhere to play for the Stanley Cup. And he produces in those situations, something you can't really say about Pomminstein.

;)

The basis of the trade rumor is for Philly to open cap room to sign Bryzgalov. Pomville for Carter adds money for Philly. Ennis and 16 overall was mentioned because it is comparable, however probably less than, what Philly is rumored to be getting in the trade - 8th overall and Jakub Voracek.

Archived