OT - Chicken Wings

stevecana

I live in South Florida and for the past 7 years that I've lived here I have been searching for chicken wings that are good. I've come to 2 conclusions. 1)Either there is no such place for decent wings down here or I just haven't found them. 2) I'd better learn how to cook my own.

So does anyone here know of any good places for wings in South Florida or whats the best way to make authentic buffalo wings at home?

I live in South Florida and for the past 7 years that I've lived here I have been searching for chicken wings that are good. I've come to 2 conclusions. 1)Either there is no such place for decent wings down here or I just haven't found them. 2) I'd better learn how to cook my own.

So does anyone here know of any good places for wings in South Florida or whats the best way to make authentic buffalo wings at home?

Go to Walmart and buy a deep fryer. All you need is some Frank's hot sauce and some butter. Stay away from the "wing sauces," for the most part they suck.

Go to Walmart and buy a deep fryer. All you need is some Frank's hot sauce and some butter. Stay away from the "wing sauces," for the most part they suck.

Yes, this. That's how we made them at John & Marys on Harlem when I worked there in the very early 80's. Fried 'em, squirted some Franks and butter in the bucket, added fried wings, put the lid on the bucket and swirled and shook 'em. They were very good.

We decided to try some wings from Buffalo Wild Wings here in Ohio a week or so ago...we were hopeful, but they sucked. Very mushy :sick: And the sauce was also :sick:

Get as big a deep fryer as you can find/reasonably afford. Don't mess around w/ a Fry Baby, you'll get 6 wings per batch tops.

Use a good deep frying oil (the one I use is peanut oil based). (Oh, if only you could still get lard / deep fat, that made them the absolute best.) The ideal cooking temperature is 375F, but because I usually use frozen wings and I have a large crock pot sized fryer, I heat my fryer to 400F to start (the frozen wings cool the oil a bit).

You don't have to thaw the wings, but make certain you get excess ice off them. (If necessary, I usually just rinse them w/ water to melt any ice chunks off.) There will be grease splatter when the wings hit the oil, the more water / ice on them, the worse it will be. I typically add 2 wings to the basket at a time, and then raise / lower the basket to keep the oil from bubbling over the fryer. (Don't be shocked when you forget to add a couple at a time and drop the whole basket in and you end up w/ oil EVERYWHERE, you really do want to add the wings slowly to the oil.)

You can find 4-5 lb bags of precut wings at Sam's or BJ's. When I was living in the south, I couldn't find them in 'regular' grocery stores. If you can't find the bags, remember to cut the wings you get in the supermarket at the knuckles (slice through the cartiledge) and for the love of all that's good and holy, throw out the tips and DO NOT bread them before frying them.

Remember to shake the basket frequently when you are starting a batch to keep them from sticking together and occassionally after they're going.

After you have a full basket (my fryer will hold ~14-18 jumbo wings and ~2 dozen large wings) fry them for ~14-20 minutes (if you have a larger fryer and are running fewer wings, it will be towards 14 minutes; because my fryer is 'stuffed' it takes me a little longer to get them done). The wings will start floating when they are getting close to ready. They will need to fry for a few more minutes after they're floating. When you remove the basket from the oil to drain the oil from the wings, you can shake the basket to remove more oil from the wings. When you get proficient, you will be able to tell from the sound made as the wings shake whether they are done.

For the sauce, as DeLuca mentioned - butter and Franks is the base (and not in that order). Franks Extra Red Hot is a good way to get started at making them a little hotter. You can add other peppers, sauces, etc to this base to make them hotter, but remember that Franks and butter are key. I've also seen people have good results w/ a mix of 50% butter / 50% margarine instead of straight butter, but don't go w/ pure margarine.

Also, you will be told by some to add vinegar. Vinegar is the 1st ingredient in Franks, so it is redundant.

If you start the sauce early and keep it on moderate heat as the wings are frying, you will condense the sauce and it will stick to the wings better. I just dump the batch of wings into the sauce pan, cover, and shake; but some prefer to pour the sauce into a mixing bowl and stir the sauce onto the wings. Some will tell you to bake the wings on low heat after adding the sauce to them; if you've properly condensed the sauce this step will be unnecessary. (The only reason I can think of to put the wings in the oven is so you can have several batches ready to serve at once.)

Don't forget that real Buffalonians serve celery AND carrots w/ the bleucheese. I usually go w/ Marie's chunky blue cheese dressing. It's easy and good.

And lastly, enjoy.

I too, live in FL and it has been an chore finding wings I could stand. How far south do you live, Broward County, area? I don't think Gator's Dockside exist that far south, but they've been my saving grace. Another option is Beef O'Bradys, but with both you have to specify extra crispy and double tossed.

The issue isn't the type of sauce, it's 1) how long they fry them down here ('extra crispy' to them is regular up north) and 2) they don't use enough sauce and/or don't understand the concept of 're-tossing' them.

I was just down in Orlando and hit up BW3. Although I wouldn't order their wings by choice in Buffalo, they help me to get my fix.

I got some wings at the Smokin Oyster Brewery in FT Myers Beach. They were decent.

There is no such a place. There used to be a place in Boca that was owned by a lady from BFLO, but she sold the place. The new place has good wings, but they're just not BFLO. Unless you're looking for fine dining most restaurants in SoFL have turned into chain garbage. They all have the exact same food from the exact same distributors..... the only difference is the theme and environment. I know it's getting that way everywhere, but it seems like it's worse down here than most places.

Yes, this. That's how we made them at John & Marys on Harlem when I worked there in the very early 80's. Fried 'em, squirted some Franks and butter in the bucket, added fried wings, put the lid on the bucket and swirled and shook 'em. They were very good.

We decided to try some wings from Buffalo Wild Wings here in Ohio a week or so ago...we were hopeful, but they sucked. Very mushy :sick: And the sauce was also :sick:

BWW, for the most part, are pretty good, but they are inconsistent. They have also struggled to understand that foam takeout containers lead to mushy wings.

BWW's sauces are very good though. I love their sweet BBQ and their Hot sauce. Good thickness, good spice, good flavor.

I had heard good things about Quaker Steak & Lube's wings but I was unimpressed. Average wings and sauce.

Don't forget that real Buffalonians serve celery AND carrots w/ the bleucheese. I usually go w/ Marie's chunky blue cheese dressing. It's easy and good.

THIS. No ranch fer crying out loud.

And the blue cheese has to be quality stuff. Bad BC ruins good wings, IMO.

I too, live in FL and it has been an chore finding wings I could stand. How far south do you live, Broward County, area? I don't think Gator's Dockside exist that far south, but they've been my saving grace. Another option is Beef O'Bradys, but with both you have to specify extra crispy and double tossed.

The issue isn't the type of sauce, it's 1) how long they fry them down here ('extra crispy' to them is regular up north) and 2) they don't use enough sauce and/or don't understand the concept of 're-tossing' them.

I was just down in Orlando and hit up BW3. Although I wouldn't order their wings by choice in Buffalo, they help me to get my fix.

The only places I found in Florida (Orlando and points north) that consistently had good wings and sauce were Miller's Ale House. Just make sure you order them "naked" (unbreaded). Otherwise they are good size, usually pretty crispy, and sauce is good.

Beef's wasn't bad, but they were very average for a native WNY'er.

when you sauce the wings make sure that they are cooked and crispy and hot and sauce them by putting them inside with a lid shaking it up then use tongs to pull them out. You get non soggy yet still reasonably saucy wings.

Fryers: 400 degrees for 10-12minutes with a good oil. It should be clear or just slightly golden after that its garbage.

NEVER EVER precook wings then finish them off right before you wanna eat them, that makes them dry and crappy.

Keep your wings in the frig never the freezer in a sealed bag inside a sealed container.

Ken's blu-ch is awesome.

Remember that raw wings with no breading are the best to sauce and keep from getting soggy

BONELESS WINGS DO NOT EXIST. You are eating small chicken fingers.

Great Northern Pizza Kitchen in Williamsville has good wings for a good price but they have meh blu-ch, get them to mix bbq with hotsauce its sweet yet spicy and so freaking good!

Final thought here, we should get some money and build a restaurant in florida that sells kickass wings and call it kickass wings whose got money and is with me?

I live in Broward , just south of Boca ( Pompano).

Thanks Taro , your post has been printed out and posted on the fridge for later :thumbsup:

Great stuff from Taro. Just don't start the sauce too early because it can get salty.

... Just don't start the sauce too early because it can get salty.

Good point if the sauce is overcondensed. Starting out, he'd probably be better off slightly undercondensing it (and having the sauce slightly runny) than going too far the other way.

When the sauce is to the proper consistancy, the heater element can be turned off (at most it'll be a handful of minutes that it's waiting for the wings to finish cooking and the sauce will still be warm/hot when the wings are added); I usually get it close to where I want it consistancy-wise and then drop the heat to the lowest setting. It usually takes about 20-25 minutes to get the sauce the way I want it, but I could go w/ higher heat initially and get it there in about 10 minutes (but that runs the risk of going to overcondensed, or worse - slightly burned butter).

Additionally, I like to get the butter melted in the pan prior to adding the Franks. I add the Franks just before the butter is completely melted. For the 2nd and subsequent batches, I let the butter melt in the last batch's sauce and then add the Franks. If other items are being added to the sauce, I 1st get the Franks/butter well mixed and then add liquids 1st and then powders. Get them all blended before beginning to condense the sauce.

Low sodium / unsalted butter would likely reduce issues w/ overcondensing, but I have never tried them intentionally. (I'm sure on occassion that was all I had in the house, but I don't recall how it affected the sauce.)

I'm sure he'll find a way that works well for him.

when you sauce the wings make sure that they are cooked and crispy and hot and sauce them by putting them inside with a lid shaking it up then use tongs to pull them out. You get non soggy yet still reasonably saucy wings.

Fryers: 400 degrees for 10-12minutes with a good oil. It should be clear or just slightly golden after that its garbage.

NEVER EVER precook wings then finish them off right before you wanna eat them, that makes them dry and crappy.

Keep your wings in the frig never the freezer in a sealed bag inside a sealed container.

Ken's blu-ch is awesome.

Remember that raw wings with no breading are the best to sauce and keep from getting soggy

BONELESS WINGS DO NOT EXIST. You are eating small chicken fingers.

Great Northern Pizza Kitchen in Williamsville has good wings for a good price but they have meh blu-ch, get them to mix bbq with hotsauce its sweet yet spicy and so freaking good!

Final thought here, we should get some money and build a restaurant in florida that sells kickass wings and call it kickass wings whose got money and is with me?

He lives in Florida. It is very unlikely that he will be able to get fresh wings. Since they have already been frozen in processing and in storage at the store where he'll buy them, this is a silly (at best) and possibly dangerous (processed chicken has all sorts of nasty stuff on it) suggestion as bacteria will grow in a refrigerator.

IF he can get fresh wings, then the suggestion about not freezing them is a good one.

There's a place in Davie called Lefty's that makes them well. Service is subpar though.

If you have a Quarterdeck around, they are somewhat decent.

Darryl Porter who used to play saftey for the Bills has/had a place, Porter's Place, in the west Lauderdale area and he makes them like the Big Tree Inn. I haven't been there in over 5 years so it might not be around. They were done right though.

He lives in Florida. It is very unlikely that he will be able to get fresh wings. Since they have already been frozen in processing and in storage at the store where he'll buy them, this is a silly (at best) and possibly dangerous (processed chicken has all sorts of nasty stuff on it) suggestion as bacteria will grow in a refrigerator.

IF he can get fresh wings, then the suggestion about not freezing them is a good one.

Fresh chicken

These guys have everything but are expensive. Not far from 95 in Hollywood

I've lived in South Carolina and Taxachusetts. You'd be surprised how few places there are for good wings outside of Buffalo. In desperation, I bought this unit from King Kooker at Bass Pro (right next door to where the New England Patriots play). It works off the propane tank from my grill, and I like its simplicity: basically, it's a rectangular bucket with two baskets.

http://kingkooker.co...&products_id=97

I cook the wings to a crispy brown, otherwise they will come out rubbery when the sauce is applied. But there is certainly a trial and error process -- after a while, you'll learn when the wings are just right. Until then, sometimes you'll have wings a little less crispy than you want and other times they'll be crispy but a bit dry. The key for me is making sure they're golden brown.

I use Franks's Hot Sauce, butter (at least a full stick, sometimes a little more when I am making a lot of wings). I also melt the butter first before pouring in the Frank's. I also add a touch of red wine vinegar. How much of all these ingredients you need to use is up to you. Again, over time, you'll learn how to manage the amounts. For example: using too little of the Frank's sauce makes the wings very mild. Using too much makes them too hot to enjoy. Of course, people like wings at these extremes, too.

My last bit of advice: When the wings are cooked, drain them well through the baskets, dump them into a large pot, pour some of your special sauce into the pot, and shake the pot like hell (with the cover on). Promptly remove the cover and take the wings out with your grill tongs. NEVER leave the wings in the pot because the trapped steam renders your wings rubbery. Also, picking the wings out with the tongs does indeed make sure your wings are not too soupy with sauce -- another way that the wings get soggy.

After I learned to do them right, I have never failed to produce wings that could compete with just about any others I have had in my life. Even the family loves them!

I've lived in South Carolina and Taxachusetts. You'd be surprised how few places there are for good wings outside of Buffalo.

Sadly this is true. Here in the Cleveland area there are very few decent wing places.

A lot of pizza shops push ribs and/or fried chicken as the main side to pizza. Blows my mind.

Sadly this is true. Here in the Cleveland area there are very few decent wing places.

A lot of pizza shops push ribs and/or fried chicken as the main side to pizza. Blows my mind.

Wolf, I didn't realize you live in Parma. I lived in Westlake for 3 years and worked at MHMC. BW3 in the Flats was the only place I ever trusted.

Why this hasn't been done yet ( as a Buffalo food brand ) is beyond me , considering the amount of transplants in Florida.

Think of all the great Buffalo food a restaurateur could offer - Wings , Hot dogs , beef on weck , polish/italian sausage etc... :D

Wolf, I didn't realize you live in Parma. I lived in Westlake for 3 years and worked at MHMC. BW3 in the Flats was the only place I ever trusted.

Yep. Westlake is about a half-hour from us, depending on traffic. We're actually Parma Hts but I am a stone's throw from Parmatown Mall and Byers Field. The Gator Country location - you in the Gainesville Fla area now?

We lived in Broadview Heights the first couple years in Ohio and moved to the Parma area a couple years ago. Now we mostly hit up the Strongsville BW3 - it's the most consistent wings we can find.

Yep. Westlake is about a half-hour from us, depending on traffic. We're actually Parma Hts but I am a stone's throw from Parmatown Mall and Byers Field. The Gator Country location - you in the Gainesville Fla area now?

We lived in Broadview Heights the first couple years in Ohio and moved to the Parma area a couple years ago. Now we mostly hit up the Strongsville BW3 - it's the most consistent wings we can find.

We love Clev, were sorry to have to move. Gator Country is indeed Gainesville, DW and I are now part of the UF family (As an OSU fan, I feel so dirty :lol: ).

Heading back to B-Lo in August, first thing we're hitting up is 50 hot wings from Sals in Depew. Followed shortly thereafter by a super mighty and a beef on weck by Charlie.

I made a lot of wings when I was going through college and before finding "real" (non-restaurant) work.

Just a few additional tips beyond what the folks above have said. If you're getting Marie's Bleu Cheese, make sure it's the "Premium Super Blue Cheese". The other stuff is NOT the same type of bleu cheese dressing. Do not cheap out on the bleu cheese dressing as it will make or break the feast. It needs to be thick, creamy, and have a hearty, unsweetened flavor.

I would avoid margarine for the sauce. Use unsalted butter. And, generally, although the warning about using too much Frank's is well advised, you WILL use a lot of butter and Franks making enough sauce for a 20 wing plate. You want to melt the butter like you're preparing a roux, gradually take up the heat to melt it down, then add the Franks (as others have mentioned). Don't be afraid to taste the sauce as you're making it - you'll know the flavor you're after and you'll have a good idea what to add (more butter, more Franks) until you get the base sauce made. Generally you should go for a medium heat sauce, and then cut with butter to make it mild, add Franks to make it hot. Suicidal becomes a whole new ball-game.

Lard is definitely still available. Butcher shops should have some, or at least have a whole bunch of fat you can use to render your own. My wife will render down a year's worth or so at a time and freeze it. There is nothing like cooking with lard and it's not nearly as bad for you as the dorks-with-a-fax-machine would make you think it is. Defintely no worse than any other frying oil (all things being equal). You'll love the pie crusts you get with real lard, too. MMmmm-mmm.

I haven't read all the responses yet, but a note on the Franks/butter ratio: The more butter, the better the sauce sticks to the wings; the more Franks, the hotter they'll be.

Also, seeing this thread earlier today gave me a HUGE craving.... :(

Archived