End of year press conference today at 11AM

LabattBlue

If the Sabres did make an offer for Spezza at the deadline, I'd love to know who they offered up?

There was a post about this shortly after the deadline. If I remember correctly, it included a first (or maybe two of them), Foligno, and one more young player. Supposedly, the sticking point was the last part, with the Sens wanting Ennis and the Sabres offering Adam. No idea if there's any credibility to it.

There was a post about this shortly after the deadline. If I remember correctly, it included a first (or maybe two of them), Foligno, and one more young player. Supposedly, the sticking point was the last part, with the Sens wanting Ennis and the Sabres offering Adam. No idea if there's any credibility to it.

At this point I'm happy that trade didn't take place.

In two years, when Lindy has all but ruined Ennis and Spezza is still killing us, I'll probably revise my opinion.

Sorry, I should have specified which bunker. I'm sure I could 225 putt as well once I got out. Just a word of warning, I take my glove off when it comes to the green. Better grip. And one question, do I get relief if I land in the rough, or is it a clean course?

Same every year for me...I break 90 the first time out...and don't break 100 the rest of the year.

It takes me a little time to remember my bad habits every spring.

From what I understand it was Spezza for Roy, Adam and Foligno. Sens owner killed the deal. It seems like we should have been getting something more than Spezza though. There may be a return piece (draft choice) missing.

Not that you are going to find "complete" centers on the market, but not only is he super soft, he is a turnover machine that would make Connolly proud. :)

I'd still gladly take him over any center we carried this year (depending on the price obviously). I just can't help but make the purse joke about him.

Not that you are going to find "complete" centers on the market, but not only is he super soft, he is a turnover machine that would make Connolly proud. :)

If this report is even true, is it not another failed attempt to acquire a player by Regier? This report represents the fear many of us have in regards to the off-season. It's one thing to have an owner willing to spend the money it's another to have a GM that can get the deals done. Are we going to be sitting here August 1st talking abut all the players the Sabres attempted to sign?

I would too. I am just pointing out some of his shortcomings.

I think ultimately he falls under the list of guys who should be a supporting role, but is paid to be the top guy. His recent decline when Ottawa needed even more from him is a bit of a red flag. He's not going to carry a team on his shoulders, but if he's skating with a guy like Vanek, that might be interesting.

Well, not exactly. Spezza turnovers 62 in 62 games. Connolly 34 in 68 games.

If this report is even true, is it not another failed attempt to acquire a player by Regier? This report represents the fear many of us have in regards to the off-season. It's one thing to have an owner willing to spend the money it's another to have a GM that can get the deals done. Are we going to be sitting here August 1st talking abut all the players the Sabres attempted to sign?

FWIW I was hearing lot of Spezza around trade deadline. I wasn't too excited about Spezza (because I have my biases) ...but I heard that the Fisher trade to Nashville took the deal off the table.

Well, not exactly. Spezza turnovers 62 in 62 games. Connolly 34 in 68 games.

If you look over Spezza's career he has always averaged about 1 turnover per game. That's the trade off to his point per game production.

If the Sabres are going to look at any top tier player the first question fans should ask are what do his playoff numbers look like. Spezza is a ppg player in his 46 playoff games. Brad Richards is a point shy of being a ppg player in his 63 playoff games. You will always find top guys who will get you the regular season points, the trick is acquiring those players that will also do it in the playoffs.

If you look over Spezza's career he has always averaged about 1 turnover per game. That's the trade off to his point per game production.

Perhaps...but the other way to look at it is ...when he was on a line with Alfredson and Heatly just getting the puck on their sticks should give good numbers.

Perhaps...but the other way to look at it is ...when he was on a line with Alfredson and Heatly just getting the puck on their sticks should give good numbers.

How is it that you continue to excuse the good play of just about any other player on any other team by saying they are TOO GOOD A ROSTER......then for any of the current Sabres, we just don't have THOSE TYPES of players for (Vanek/Pominville/Connolly/etc.) to play with so their numbers aren't as good????

It's a common theme. Just in the past few weeks you've done it for Philly, Vancouver, Ottawa. Maybe it's time to say if Stamkos played on the Sabres, Lindy would have him sucking a binky by now.

JEEZZ....I HATE these end of year things. Not as much as the last few years.....but still...

How is it that you continue to excuse the good play of just about any other player on any other team by saying they are TOO GOOD A ROSTER......then for any of the current Sabres, we just don't have THOSE TYPES of players for (Vanek/Pominville/Connolly/etc.) to play with so their numbers aren't as good????

It's a common theme. Just in the past few weeks you've done it for Philly, Vancouver, Ottawa. Maybe it's time to say if Stamkos played on the Sabres, Lindy would have him sucking a binky by now.

JEEZZ....I HATE these end of year things. Not as much as the last few years.....but still...

Whoa....have you just come out of metaphor mode?

Who are we talking about in particular? I have a different opinion on just about everyone.

I'm not above having my biases. For example I never liked Nathan Horton much...but he's been a gamer for Boston. My opinions can be changed.

If we are talking about Spezza.....I think he could help the Sabres....I just personally have never liked him. I think he makes a lot of poor decisions, and his head is not always in the game. He's got miles of talent. (I've often said the some thing about Sekera)

1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Now, let's be realistic here... they didn't really have a chance in '05... :rolleyes:

Whoa....have you just come out of metaphor mode?

Who are we talking about in particular? I have a different opinion on just about everyone.

I'm not above having my biases. For example I never liked Nathan Horton much...but he's been a gamer for Boston. My opinions can be changed.

If we are talking about Spezza.....I think he could help the Sabres....I just personally have never liked him. I think he makes a lot of poor decisions, and his head is not always in the game. He's got miles of talent. (I've often said the some thing about Sekera)

I was just commenting about how you've said Vanek. Pominville, Connolly would have much better numbers playing on certain lines or with certain teammates somewhere else. The funny thing is, if they are that good....why don't they seem to work together?

I don't think Spezza is the answer, but Ottawa has been after Roy for some time in a deal from what I have heard.

We need a captain that is relentless and will drop the gloves. We need a defenseman that has killed a man in prison. I've been saying that for 5 years now....so I am better off talking to the walls.

I was just commenting about how you've said Vanek. Pominville, Connolly would have much better numbers playing on certain lines or with certain teammates somewhere else. The funny thing is, if they are that good....why don't they seem to work together?

I think they work fine together. However, if they are matched against an opponents third defensive pairing, then they would look like gods.

As it is now, they usually see the other teams checking line and top D pairing. And they have decent, but not soaring numbers.

Does that make sense?

I don't think Spezza is the answer, but Ottawa has been after Roy for some time in a deal from what I have heard.

Spezza is good. (no doubt) Is he worth Roy, Adams, and Foligno? That's a high price. And the Sabres would still need another center.

We need a captain that is relentless and will drop the gloves. We need a defenseman that has killed a man in prison. I've been saying that for 5 years now....so I am better off talking to the walls.

I think you imagine that nobody agrees with you. FWIW I always thought Lydman out and Leopold in was a move to the less physical department.

I was hoping Morrison would be more physical than he's demonstrated to me. But Weber and Myers are developing an edge...that much I'm enjoying.

For those who watched the press conference...What was the big deal about not revealing the length of the contract beyond "multi-year". They wouldn't say how many years even after someone in the media asked about it.

I have nothing to base it on....but I really had the sense that they didn't know. I was wondering if it was a handshake.

Darcy: Terry, Ted and I want you to say for a few more years, how's it sound?

Lindy: Sounds good. What are conditions.

Darcy: Better

Lindy: Okay

Darcy: Want to shake on it.

Lindy: Sounds good. Put it there.

Archived