Will we ever...???

lalalalalaFontaine

Really??? Day after a game 7 elimination, in a playoff series we had no business playing in, while we finally have the owner with deep pockets, while we have a good young defence, while we have exciting young forwards coming up in Portland, while we have 3 consecutive AHL rookie of the year winners, WHEN EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS IN THE FACE NO HOCKEY UNTIL OCTOBER 2011, you pull "poor Buffalo will never win anything" defeatist nonsense!

Pegula said 3 years. He didn't say 3 months.

Really??? Day after a game 7 elimination, in a playoff series we had no business playing in, while we finally have the owner with deep pockets, while we have a good young defence, while we have exciting young forwards coming up in Portland, while we have 3 consecutive AHL rookie of the year winners, WHEN EVERYONE ELSE HAS BEEN SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS IN THE FACE NO HOCKEY UNTIL OCTOBER 2011, you pull "poor Buffalo will never win anything" defeatist nonsense!

Pegula said 3 years. He didn't say 3 months.

So sorry that I'll believe the rainbows and sunshine crap until I see it... and didn't know there was a minimum period of time required to post "nonsense" stuff. Hope I'm wrong, but check back with me in three years when you are allowed to post

Then there's always another type of owner who hasn't been mentioned so far. There's the Jerry Jones type who constantly meddles but also has the rings to show from it (granted he hasn't won in a long time now).

How many Superbowls that the Pokes won were attributable to Jerry Jones and how many were attributable to Mike Lynn? If Mike Lynn isn't running the Vikes, there is no ###### way the Cowboys come anywhere close to the success they had in the '90's.

Any other examples? Well, Steinbrenner's teams won a lot. Yeah, when free agency 1st started, his team won a couple. I'd say that was more a case of being ready for free agency before other teams were. Once the others figured it out, he went about 2 decades between championships. The Yanks finally started winning again after Cashman started keeping homegrown talent and supplementing it rather than trading away all their youth for the biggest names in the game which was Steinbrenner's preferred method to build a team.

Meddlesome hockey owner? Hal Ballard was pretty successful, no?

Another football example. Bud Adams started the AFL and won their 1st 2 championships. Since then his team has made it to exactly 1 Superbowl and his team just chose Jake Locker in the top 10. :doh:

How about closer to home? 2 words: Ralph ###### Wilson. He lucked into Polian and didn't like when Polian wouldn't blindly do what he, his daughter, and Littman wanted him to do. So he chose getting 'more respect' to winning football games. :doh: :censored:

I'm sure if I thought about it a bit, I could come up w/ some more examples of these guys. The handful of times these types win, it's in spite of themselves.

I should clarify. I didn't mean Pegs would be a dick/weasel like Snyder. Just pointing out that the free spending owners like Snyder don't necessarily win championships.

If that was the point, I agree completely. And though we won't know until we're there, but I like the Sabres' odds of pulling it off at some point a whole lot more today than I did last May.

Will we ever see a Stanley Cup in this town? As much as I pray that the answer is yes, I just don't see it happening in my lifetime. Everyone in these forums seems to think that just because we finally have a true hockey owner that things will change immediately. Remember that the Knox's did everything in their power to bring a cup to this city. Hired the best coach in hockey (Scotty Bowman)... Allowed management to pull the trigger on some great trades (LaFontaine)... Brought the first real Russian superstar to the NHL (Mogilny)... It just does not mean that is a guarantee to bring a Cup here. I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but we are NO closer to winning a Cup now than we were back in 1970. Just remember that while we may go out and FINALLY get some quality free agents in here, there are 29 other teams attempting to do the same thing.

I pray to God that I am wrong, but all indications point to 40+ more years of futility...

The way I see it, there is only one way to resolve your concern -- AMF.

Really? Save that language for Boston/Philly fans. You're talking to a fellow Sabre fan. Shame on you.

oops... guess i got caught up in the f'ing juvenile post comment i received... when a "fellow sabre fan" posts something like that crap, guess they should be prepared to be on the receiving end... guess i've been living in the mid atlantic too long, huh... shame on you...

So sorry that I'll believe the rainbows and sunshine crap until I see it... and didn't know there was a minimum period of time required to post "nonsense" stuff. Hope I'm wrong, but check back with me in three years when you are allowed to post

i understand you're upset that the sabres lost, but the social network showed us that intoxication and blogging aren't a great combination.

How many Superbowls that the Pokes won were attributable to Jerry Jones and how many were attributable to Mike Lynn? If Mike Lynn isn't running the Vikes, there is no ###### way the Cowboys come anywhere close to the success they had in the '90's.

Any other examples? Well, Steinbrenner's teams won a lot. Yeah, when free agency 1st started, his team won a couple. I'd say that was more a case of being ready for free agency before other teams were. Once the others figured it out, he went about 2 decades between championships. The Yanks finally started winning again after Cashman started keeping homegrown talent and supplementing it rather than trading away all their youth for the biggest names in the game which was Steinbrenner's preferred method to build a team.

Meddlesome hockey owner? Hal Ballard was pretty successful, no?

Another football example. Bud Adams started the AFL and won their 1st 2 championships. Since then his team has made it to exactly 1 Superbowl and his team just chose Jake Locker in the top 10. :doh:

How about closer to home? 2 words: Ralph ###### Wilson. He lucked into Polian and didn't like when Polian wouldn't blindly do what he, his daughter, and Littman wanted him to do. So he chose getting 'more respect' to winning football games. :doh: :censored:

I'm sure if I thought about it a bit, I could come up w/ some more examples of these guys. The handful of times these types win, it's in spite of themselves.

We can come up with a nearly unending list of types of owners that have won it all. If the Sabres are going to pull this off, Pegula's going to do it while being his own man.

Archived