Will we ever...???

lalalalalaFontaine

Will we ever see a Stanley Cup in this town? As much as I pray that the answer is yes, I just don't see it happening in my lifetime. Everyone in these forums seems to think that just because we finally have a true hockey owner that things will change immediately. Remember that the Knox's did everything in their power to bring a cup to this city. Hired the best coach in hockey (Scotty Bowman)... Allowed management to pull the trigger on some great trades (LaFontaine)... Brought the first real Russian superstar to the NHL (Mogilny)... It just does not mean that is a guarantee to bring a Cup here. I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but we are NO closer to winning a Cup now than we were back in 1970. Just remember that while we may go out and FINALLY get some quality free agents in here, there are 29 other teams attempting to do the same thing.

I pray to God that I am wrong, but all indications point to 40+ more years of futility...

Will we ever see a Stanley Cup in this town? As much as I pray that the answer is yes, I just don't see it happening in my lifetime. Everyone in these forums seems to think that just because we finally have a true hockey owner that things will change immediately. Remember that the Knox's did everything in their power to bring a cup to this city. Hired the best coach in hockey (Scotty Bowman)... Allowed management to pull the trigger on some great trades (LaFontaine)... Brought the first real Russian superstar to the NHL (Mogilny)... It just does not mean that is a guarantee to bring a Cup here. I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but we are NO closer to winning a Cup now than we were back in 1970. Just remember that while we may go out and FINALLY get some quality free agents in here, there are 29 other teams attempting to do the same thing.

I pray to God that I am wrong, but all indications point to 40+ more years of futility...

Disclaimer: Past performance does not predict future results.

The Amazing Kreskin's in the house. Good thing you mentioned the other 29. This whole time I though it was just us and Hartford.

Disclaimer: Past performance does not predict future results.

yep... been saying that for 40 years... nice try

It remains true today as it did in 1970. Ask the Red Sox. It's ok to get crotchety, I endured many years with my 92 year old grand-father saying what you just said. Problem is, it's a rhetorical question. You don't know the answer, just as I don't.

Maybe someday I'll get to the point you're at, but not today.

Daniel Snyder and Mark Cuban(among others) have proven that spending like crazy won't bring a championship to town, but I will say that the odds of winning a Cup are a LOT better with Pegula than they ever were with OSP.

They do. And guys like Mike Illitch, Bob Kraft, John Henry show that if you're willing to spend and willing to get the right people in place and willing to get out of their way good things can happen fairly consistently.

My impression is that the Sabres' new owner is far more similar to Illitch than he is Snyder.

They do. And guys like Mike Illitch, Bob Kraft, John Henry show that if you're willing to spend and willing to get the right people in place and willing to get out of their way good things can happen fairly consistently.

My impression is that the Sabres' new owner is far more similar to Illitch than he is Snyder.

But to be fair, it's been 2 months so we can't really be sure what kind of owner he is.

Pegula has said more than once that Mike Ilitch is the model.

Of course, we'll see.

But to be fair, it's been 2 months so we can't really be sure what kind of owner he is.

Absolutely we don't know how he'll work out. But his actions (in the very brief time he's been here and in how he's assisted Penn State) have indicated that it's far more likely that he'll be toward Illitch's end of the spectrum than Dan Snyder's end.

Must i say Pegula was a huge fan of the Buffalo Sabres before he became owner.Have alittle faith man

Wasn't Daniel Snider a huge fan of the Washington Redskins too before he bought that NFL franchise? Just because you are a fan and have money, doesn't mean that you will win or succeed

As for Kraft, without lucking out in the biggest way and having Tom Brady fall into his lap, his team wouldn't be where they are today. It takes a whole lot of luck to win too

Illitch too has had alot of luck getting some real gems in the later rounds that have made the team what they are today. Great drafting, and Buffalo sending them Hasek for nothing are all big factors in getting where they are today

Absolutely we don't know how he'll work out. But his actions (in the very brief time he's been here and in how he's assisted Penn State) have indicated that it's far more likely that he'll be toward Illitch's end of the spectrum than Dan Snyder's end.

Then there's always another type of owner who hasn't been mentioned so far. There's the Jerry Jones type who constantly meddles but also has the rings to show from it (granted he hasn't won in a long time now).

I should clarify. I didn't mean Pegs would be a dick/weasel like Snyder. Just pointing out that the free spending owners like Snyder don't necessarily win championships.

Wasn't Daniel Snider a huge fan of the Washington Redskins too before he bought that NFL franchise? Just because you are a fan and have money, doesn't mean that you will win or succeed

As for Kraft, without lucking out in the biggest way and having Tom Brady fall into his lap, his team wouldn't be where they are today. It takes a whole lot of luck to win too

Illitch too has had alot of luck getting some real gems in the later rounds that have made the team what they are today. Great drafting, and Buffalo sending them Hasek for nothing are all big factors in getting where they are today

But to be fair, their reputation before they even got Hasek is what made him demand for a trade to the motor city in the first place.

Also, I was born at the very end of 91 so i wasn't around for the four consecutive bills superbowl losses etc, but this part in particular seems to emanate in every Buffalo sports fan.

I realize that it's rough being a Buffalo fan, hell the bills haven't made the playoffs since i really knew or cared what the playoffs were, about all i remember is Flutie Flakes.

My point is that we wouldn't be so devoted to a team if we didn't think they could ever do it, and i look forward to the day confetti fills the streets downtown for it's first major championship parade.

Here's to one helluva party when that day finally comes. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Not to sound juvenile , but F**k your post. 40 more years of futility? The last 15+ years or so the Sabres were owned by a Felon , the NHL , and a owner solely interested in turning a profit. We have what other NHL fans dream of in Terry Pegula. A guy who is a life-long Sabres fan with a winning attitude , and one who is sincerely focused on bringing the Cup to Buffalo. Plus he has some of the deepest pockets around. 40 years of futility? More like 40 years of deep runs in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Not to sound juvenile , but F**k your post. 40 more years of futility? The last 15+ years or so the Sabres were owned by a Felon , the NHL , and a owner solely interested in turning a profit. We have what other NHL fans dream of in Terry Pegula. A guy who is a life-long Sabres fan with a winning attitude , and one who is sincerely focused on bringing the Cup to Buffalo. Plus he has some of the deepest pockets around. 40 years of futility? More like 40 years of deep runs in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

F**k u... prick

Archived