For those going to the game tonight...

McD

Here's a great time to show Stamkos how hockey crazy Buffalo is. To anyone attending tonights game, you gotta let the man know how much he'd enjoy playing here... the hockey crazies, the closeness to Canada, all the Chop House steaks he can eat, and loads of T-Pegs loot to boot!

maybe we can lure him (a la Takeo Spikes...)

Let him hear it!

Here's a great time to show Stamkos how hockey crazy Buffalo is. To anyone attending tonights game, you gotta let the man know how much he'd enjoy playing here... the hockey crazies, the closeness to Canada, all the Chop House steaks he can eat, and loads of T-Pegs loot to boot!

Let him hear it!

I don't think anyone is going to start a chant for an opposing player. Let T-Pegs use his checkbook to show him him much he would enjoy playing here.

Let him hear it!

On Hockey Night in Canada he said that his favorite part of playing in Tampa was that the fans were great at the games but that people mostly leave him alone when he's in the city just having dinner or something.

Maybe that was BS, but I can see some players thinking that's the ideal situation. You get all the perks of being a famous athlete but you don't have to be worried about dozens of people asking to have their picture taken with you every time you leave the house.

Let him hear it!

Appreciate what we have, not what we don't have.

On Hockey Night in Canada he said that his favorite part of playing in Tampa was that the fans were great at the games but that people mostly leave him alone when he's in the city just having dinner or something.

Maybe that was BS, but I can see some players thinking that's the ideal situation. You get all the perks of being a famous athlete but you don't have to be worried about dozens of people asking to have their picture taken with you every time you leave the house.

Players are not exactly killing each other to sign with Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Phoenix, Dallas, so i am not too sure i believe that.

Players are not exactly killing each other to sign with Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Phoenix, Dallas, so i am not too sure i believe that.

1. Are those teams trying to sign a lot of players to big contracts?

2. Maybe Stamkos really believes what he said but other players are different. Briere loved Buffalo after playing in Phoenix, but Drury thought NYC would be better because he could blend in easier (off the ice, although he faded away a ton on the ice as well).

1. Are those teams trying to sign a lot of players to big contracts?

2. Maybe Stamkos really believes what he said but other players are different. Briere loved Buffalo after playing in Phoenix, but Drury thought NYC would be better because he could blend in easier (off the ice, although he faded away a ton on the ice as well).

If Drury wanted more anonymity, then he has certainly been heading in the right direction. :beer:

Yep... the absolute WORST idea ever, lol...

I never said to cheer for the man... do you not remember how we persuaded Spikes to sign with the Bills? Say something before the game, after the game, in between periods... do you think he hears anything besides a raucous crowd while the game is going on...? Damn... lol, get a grip people.

Appreciate what we have, not what we don't have.

Who says I don't... BUT at the same time is it a problem to start getting the "possible" ball rolling now?

I suppose its an issue to covet other star players that are potentially on the market... what wrong with showing interest?

You're asking us to start a STAMKOS TO BUFFALO chant. I bet that will go over real well with the 25 guys who've busted their ass since December to get back into the playoff picture. "Well it's been fun watching you guys for the last 6 months, but we'd rather have Stamkos. Sorry."

Let's change the flavor here.

1) Would you sign Stamkos to an offer sheet? (keep those 4 first rounders in mind)

2) How much do you think we'll have available to spend, and what would you do to free up cash? ($3.5M cap space this year, $18M unaccounted for next year, http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=8)

3) How much do you think we should try to sign him for?

4) Do you think Tampa can/will match? (TBL has $9M cap space this year, $22M unaccounted for next year)

Quickly, from my pov:

1) Yes, he would be an excellent center. He has 230 points in his first 240 NHL games (0.96 ppg avg). A 50 goal scorer ahead of a growing Myers and a prime Ryan Miller supplemented with the rest of our team would make us a pretty scary opponent in the east. It makes our center depth: Stamkos, Roy, Gaustad, Leftovers.

2) Plenty, when the cap hits of TC, Grier, Rivet, and Nieds go away.

3) $8M/five years. It takes him to age 26. It's the same as the current yearly salaries for Heatley, Spezza, Drury (overpaid), and Gomez (overpaid) and it's less than Ovechkin ($9M), Crosby and Malkin ($8.7M), Lecavalier ($10M).

4) Probably, because they've got enough cap space to build around him. But at $8M it will hurt them because they'll have $21.8M in cap hit tied up in only three players (a bad situation they also had with Brad Richards). Likely, either Simon Gagne and Eric Brewer (both UFAs) would have to go. The other side of the coin is that they could keep the cap space, sign someone like Connolly (or even Arnott, Sturm, or Cole) and take the four draft picks and be in a good drafting position for a while, maybe trade picks for a goaltender.

You're asking us to start a STAMKOS TO BUFFALO chant. I bet that will go over real well with the 25 guys who've busted their ass since December to get back into the playoff picture. "Well it's been fun watching you guys for the last 6 months, but we'd rather have Stamkos. Sorry."

Nevermind... I'm sorry you can't fathom what I'm saying.

How do you feel about Ted Black's "clarion call" comment regarding attracting players to "hockey heaven" in Buffalo and it's repeated airings both during broadcasts and at games? Not meant to be snarky by any means, because I certainly see your point... just curious what you think.

4) Probably, because they've got enough cap space to build around him. But at $8M it will hurt them because they'll have $21.8M in cap hit tied up in only three players (a bad situation they also had with Brad Richards). Likely, either Simon Gagne and Eric Brewer (both UFAs) would have to go. The other side of the coin is that they could keep the cap space, sign someone like Connolly (or even Arnott, Sturm, or Cole) and take the four draft picks and be in a good drafting position for a while, maybe trade picks for a goaltender.

Simon Gagne or Mike Knuble would be my choice of a veteran forward add. Assuming they're available and have gas left in the tank. They always seem to score big goals on the big stage.

I don't think he is worth 4 1st rounders. Very few players are that good imo

Who isn't? Stamkos? Are you on drugs?

But back to reality: this thread is a waste of time, as would be the chant, b/c there is NFW TB wouldn't match.

Who isn't? Stamkos? Are you on drugs?

But back to reality: this thread is a waste of time, as would be the chant, b/c there is NFW TB wouldn't match.

Yup. I'm not familiar with their cap situation, but if they absolutely had to do it, they could move Lecavilier in an instant to make cap space. Or St. Louis. Take your pick I guess. They'll make the room.

Yup. I'm not familiar with their cap situation, but if they absolutely had to do it, they could move Lecavilier in an instant to make cap space. Or St. Louis. Take your pick I guess. They'll make the room.

Not sure. Isn't his contract a big reason why they can't move him? His buy out would be huge and they would still take a big hit, I think. Anyone help on this?

Not sure. Isn't his contract a big reason why they can't move him? His buy out would be huge and they would still take a big hit, I think. Anyone help on this?

He's got one of those goofy deals where he makes $10 mil a year then $4 and $1.5 on the last few years. His cap hit is a little over $7.5. That sounds reasonable for a player of his ilk.

Archived