OT - It's Official: Michael Bloomberg is an Idiot!

FogBat

While I certainly agree that downstate's agenda has been destructive to WNY, hasn't WNY fully bought into this agenda? Has there been any kind of serious reform movement in WNY that has been stymied by downstate? I'm not aware of any WNY movement to reduce taxes, regulation, union domination, etc. or other steps that would make WNY a more attractive location for prospective employers. Buffalo's 2 congressional seats have been held by Democrats for something like 37 and 6 years respectively. Property taxes, which are locally controlled, remain quite high.

I would absolutely state that 'WNY hasn't fully bought into that agenda.'

I was referring to ALL of upstate NY that has to deal w/ the effects of the NYC induced policies, but yes there have been serious reform movements that continue to get stymied by downstate. These tend to originate in WNY (which I define as a larger area than simply west of Alden and north of Eden). These include attempts at reforming the scaffold laws and the Taylor laws.

You haven't heard of Unshackle Upstate apparently. It is a trade organization that attempts to improve the business climate in NY.

I can't speak of what the Buffalo politicos are trying to accomplish as I haven't lived there in many years, but here in Ra-cha-cha / Finger Lakes there are several such as Alesi and Nozzolio that try to improve the climate. But the way the system is set up here, unless you are one of the 'big 3,' it doesn't really make a lot of difference. Bob Oaks seems to try as well, but being an R in the Assembly is roughly as useful as tits on a boar.

There have been several reform movements that have started up here. Whether you'd consider them 'serious' or not, I'm not sure. Considering the way the odds are tipped towards downstate (hey, when you've got over 50% of the people, you know where the power rolls), I don't know that any of them have a legitimate chance for success.

It'll be interesting to see if Duffy can play any useful role in Albany. He was VERY effective as mayor of Ra-cha-cha, but he is in an extremely useless office. Cuomo's talked a good game so far, but it remains to be seen if he will be anything more than talk. I'm hopeful right now that he'll be better than I expected.

I was referring to ALL of upstate NY that has to deal w/ the effects of the NYC induced policies, but yes there have been serious reform movements that continue to get stymied by downstate. These tend to originate in WNY (which I define as a larger area than simply west of Alden and north of Eden). These include attempts at reforming the scaffold laws and the Taylor laws.

You haven't heard of Unshackle Upstate apparently. It is a trade organization that attempts to improve the business climate in NY.

I can't speak of what the Buffalo politicos are trying to accomplish as I haven't lived there in many years, but here in Ra-cha-cha / Finger Lakes there are several such as Alesi and Nozzolio that try to improve the climate. But the way the system is set up here, unless you are one of the 'big 3,' it doesn't really make a lot of difference. Bob Oaks seems to try as well, but being an R in the Assembly is roughly as useful as tits on a boar.

There have been several reform movements that have started up here. Whether you'd consider them 'serious' or not, I'm not sure. Considering the way the odds are tipped towards downstate (hey, when you've got over 50% of the people, you know where the power rolls), I don't know that any of them have a legitimate chance for success.

It'll be interesting to see if Duffy can play any useful role in Albany. He was VERY effective as mayor of Ra-cha-cha, but he is in an extremely useless office. Cuomo's talked a good game so far, but it remains to be seen if he will be anything more than talk. I'm hopeful right now that he'll be better than I expected.

Find the Dummy, Part II.

I understand what Bloomberg was driving at, but he made a poor choice of words. I did not like the fact (as Mayor Brown said) that he was using Buffalo as a negative example. Hey, if you're going to pick on a city like that, pick on Newark or Youngstown, OH. We're all New Yorkers - we should stick together.

This is pretty much how I feel. Personally, as someone born and raised in WNY, I think one reason the comments riled some of the natives was less about Buffalo's/WNY's thin-skinned nature (although I'm sure that played a role) and more about the condescending attitude NYC has toward everything and everyone else throughout the rest of the state. I took it as just another shot (although possibly unintentional) from the big-city jackasses.

Find the Dummy, Part II.

You referring to me or Mr. Cuomo or the people you think voted for him? :unsure:

I didn't vote for him; but I've been quite impressed with his attempts at action so far. He talks a much better game than I expected. (Of course this is coming from a conservative that WOULD have voted for Patterson had he not been kryptonite to his party.) Though I am not impressed w/ his 'I support Mayor Blooomberg on the teacher tenure thing but think we should keep it as it is until we figure out how to change it.'

I really hope he pulls off what he claims he wants to do; because if he does, my state MIGHT actually become competitive again.

All this is interesting, and I'm not familiar with much of it. However, I must ask: how popular are these movements? The business coalition groups should organize and make themselves heard, and I'm glad to see them doing so -- but do any of the WNY population centers elect state or federal legislators based on these platforms? As for the Taylor laws, I'm sure there are plenty of groups that want to reform them. Have there been any serious challenges, though, to public-sector unions in NYS (whether originated by legislators from WNY or downstate) like the recent ones in Wisconsin or Ohio?

OSP is certainly non grata around here these days. Undeniably, though, OSP was an upstate pro-business fiscal conservative who poured literally millions of dollars into attempting these types of reform, and he gave up and left the state for a friendlier tax climate.

As for the downstate agenda leading the race to the bottom, I must point out that (while I share your skepticism about Cuomo the younger) Unshackle Upstate seems to be supporting him thus far.

I'm not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud. I'd love to see real reform in this state and especially in WNY. It just seems like NYS is one of the last strongholds of the old, big-government, high-tax, union-controlled local economic model. The whole country (including most of the midwest) totally bailed on the Democrats in the last election, 100% on economic grounds, and the state is in an historic budget crisis, but NYS never came close to flipping to the Republicans (not that they are any kind of panacea, especially not at the state level). And it's not just downstate. The (ridiculously gerrymandered) congressional district that includes Buffalo and Rochester went 65-35 to the Democrats; the other Buffalo district went 60-40 to the Dems. The Senate and Governor races were also not competitive. Not only is there no McCain to be found in NYS, there isn't a Scott Brown or even (gasp!) a Sarah Palin.

At least we have Terry Pegula.

And Lindy.

All this is interesting, and I'm not familiar with much of it. However, I must ask: how popular are these movements? The business coalition groups should organize and make themselves heard, and I'm glad to see them doing so -- but do any of the WNY population centers elect state or federal legislators based on these platforms? As for the Taylor laws, I'm sure there are plenty of groups that want to reform them. Have there been any serious challenges, though, to public-sector unions in NYS (whether originated by legislators from WNY or downstate) like the recent ones in Wisconsin or Ohio?

OSP is certainly non grata around here these days. Undeniably, though, OSP was an upstate pro-business fiscal conservative who poured literally millions of dollars into attempting these types of reform, and he gave up and left the state for a friendlier tax climate.

As for the downstate agenda leading the race to the bottom, I must point out that (while I share your skepticism about Cuomo the younger) Unshackle Upstate seems to be supporting him thus far.

I'm not trying to be a stick-in-the-mud. I'd love to see real reform in this state and especially in WNY. It just seems like NYS is one of the last strongholds of the old, big-government, high-tax, union-controlled local economic model. The whole country (including most of the midwest) totally bailed on the Democrats in the last election, 100% on economic grounds, and the state is in an historic budget crisis, but NYS never came close to flipping to the Republicans (not that they are any kind of panacea, especially not at the state level). And it's not just downstate. The (ridiculously gerrymandered) congressional district that includes Buffalo and Rochester went 65-35 to the Democrats; the other Buffalo district went 60-40 to the Dems. The Senate and Governor races were also not competitive. Not only is there no McCain to be found in NYS, there isn't a Scott Brown or even (gasp!) a Sarah Palin.

At least we have Terry Pegula.

And Lindy.

Well, where I live we have an R for our Assemblyman, State Senator, and Congresscritter. So I would guess that there are SOME in WNY that do elect reps on these platforms.

Even in Erie County there have been several R's elected to statewide and national office. Though Louise now is considered Buffalo, she is fully Ra-cha-cha. Buffalo (at least it's suburbs) elected Lee (who turned out to be a piece of excrement (unlike all the other congress critters <_< )) and had previously elected Reynolds several times. Reynolds himself being an old-school NYS politician; before he left the Statehouse his buddies passed a modification to the pension law to get him a full state pension even though he went national 1-2 years too early. The way our state is set up, it is VERY difficult for someone that isn't part of the establishment to get elected. Heck, a big part of the reason that Gillibrand is our junior senator is because her dad is a friend of D'amato.

You asked earlier if there were any 'serious' challenges to the status quo, and then you mention that TG has dropped several million trying to challenge it. What, may I ask, is your definition of 'serious?'

There are a LOT of people up here resigned to the expectation that things can't change. That doesn't mean that they don't want changes, it simply means that they don't believe they can come. I'm not at that point yet, but I realize that for any meaningful change to happen here, we will need the support for those down at your end of the state. 7MM can't trump 11MM without major bloodshed unless a large portion of the 11MM agree to it.

You are right about NYS being the truest of democratic strongholds. Again, I live in an area that actually voted FOR Dole. That should say something about us (not necessarily good). But we do try to get this state back on the right track. I don't blame UU for supporting Cuomo, because he is SAYING things that they believe in. Will he follow it up w/ action? That's doubtful, but considering where we've been, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

And, again, 7MM can't beat out 11MM. It just doesn't work that way. And those numbers are a big part of why I think the population of NYS would be very well served by breaking into 2. NYC is too big to fail, at least in my lifetime. If the social, economic, political, etc. policies that they support could be removed from upstate where they just don't work; then they wouldn't have to send money upstate. Getting out of some (many) of those burdens would tremendously help upstate. It seems to me to be a win-win.

Unfortunately, our penchant for expensive redundancy when it comes to governmental matters is firmly entrenched and Isn't going to change anytime soon. The city of Memphis is located in Shelby County, TN. There are two school systems in Shelby County: Memphis City Schools and Shelby County Schools. Two school boards, 2 superintendents. That's it. (Well, Memphis just voted to allow their schools to be taken over by Shelby County, but that will certainly wind up in court). Erie County has....27 public school districts. Twenty-seven. (Four in Cheektowaga alone). Each one has a board, a superintendent and any number of other administrators. Consolidating at least some of these could save millions of dollars that could otherwise be going to hiring more teachers, more resources for students, etc. BUT, no school district (or the parents therein) wants to "surrender" control to an "outside authority". So, year after year, millions go to keeping an archaic administrative infrastructure in place. How do you crack a case like this? Well, you don't. You keep hiking taxes, cutting services and increasing class size. At some point, the whole thing will implode, but since it is still some time in the future, no one does anything. And that's just school systems. We have similar issues with fire districts, police departments, etc. etc.

The solutions are out there, but no one wants to implement them. And we still wonder why we can't attract business.....:wallbash:

My biggest complaint about this is that he is acting like NYC is some sort of paradise. New Nork City has a lot of problems that are Bloomberg's own doing. The schools are crowded and failing because he runs the schools like a business. He's only looking for results on standardized testing, so if it isn't on the state tests, its not taught. Most kids in NYC couldn't find Buffalo on a map of New York State with only Buffalo and NYC marked. They have no concept of geography, science, etc. I told a bunch of Honors High School Students that Alaska was bigger than Texas, and they thought I was crazy. "look how little it is on the map!" The good teachers are the ones that work these subjects into math and reading, but its not taught like it should be, and there is no real incentive to teach a well-rounded curriculum.

One of his biggest Mayoral Initiatives was the Million Trees Project. He decided that 1000000 trees would be planted over the course 15 years or so. Then a tree fell in Central Park and killed an infant. Now the city is hiring private contractors to cut down all the "old trees" in the Parks. I'm sure that is cost productive!

This city is backwards. I'd rather be stuck in Buffalo with no progress since 1975 than be here in NYC where things will only get worse. This is the city that would rather have strip clubs than an Islamic Community Center. That isn't progress! They shut down bike lanes in Williamsburg because the community couldn't stand to see women wearing shorts on a bike. That is not progress! They killed every goose in the city, even the barnyard geese in a local park that can't fly, because one goose hit a jet engine. That is stupid! This city is one knee-jerk reaction from self destruction. I feel like we are this close to buying a Monorail from Lyle Lanley! Nobody knows what do do with our roads after this winter's damage, so I expect to drive on the gravelly pot-holed mess called the Belt Parkway as long as I live here. As soon as I can find my way, I'm out of here and I will be laughing every time I make a mortgage payment that is half of what I pay now for rent.

New York City doesn't think it is the Center of the Universe. New York City thinks it IS the universe. The world ends beyond Jersey, Long Island, and Westchester, and half of the kids here probably believe you would fall off the edge into some pre-Columbian abyss. The local papers and network news stations would rather cover Lindsay Lohan's clubbing or the latest episode of American Idol than the disasters in Japan.

I hate it here.

You referring to me or Mr. Cuomo or the people you think voted for him? :unsure:

I didn't vote for him; but I've been quite impressed with his attempts at action so far. He talks a much better game than I expected. (Of course this is coming from a conservative that WOULD have voted for Patterson had he not been kryptonite to his party.) Though I am not impressed w/ his 'I support Mayor Blooomberg on the teacher tenure thing but think we should keep it as it is until we figure out how to change it.'

I really hope he pulls off what he claims he wants to do; because if he does, my state MIGHT actually become competitive again.

You should have read the bolding on the quote I referenced to on your last post. I was obviously referring to Cuomo. IDK if you remember a bumper sticker that was rather popular in the early 90's. It had four faces: The Three Stooges and Mario Cuomo. Underneath it was written, "FIND THE DUMMY". So, I was only thinking that Andrew was "FIND THE DUMMY, Part II"

I still get a chuckle out of it from time to time. I just can't find it anywhere on the Net, and I wish I could... :(

My biggest complaint about this is that he is acting like NYC is some sort of paradise. New Nork City has a lot of problems that are Bloomberg's own doing. The schools are crowded and failing because he runs the schools like a business. He's only looking for results on standardized testing, so if it isn't on the state tests, its not taught. Most kids in NYC couldn't find Buffalo on a map of New York State with only Buffalo and NYC marked. They have no concept of geography, science, etc. I told a bunch of Honors High School Students that Alaska was bigger than Texas, and they thought I was crazy. "look how little it is on the map!" The good teachers are the ones that work these subjects into math and reading, but its not taught like it should be, and there is no real incentive to teach a well-rounded curriculum.

One of his biggest Mayoral Initiatives was the Million Trees Project. He decided that 1000000 trees would be planted over the course 15 years or so. Then a tree fell in Central Park and killed an infant. Now the city is hiring private contractors to cut down all the "old trees" in the Parks. I'm sure that is cost productive!

This city is backwards. I'd rather be stuck in Buffalo with no progress since 1975 than be here in NYC where things will only get worse. This is the city that would rather have strip clubs than an Islamic Community Center. That isn't progress! They shut down bike lanes in Williamsburg because the community couldn't stand to see women wearing shorts on a bike. That is not progress! They killed every goose in the city, even the barnyard geese in a local park that can't fly, because one goose hit a jet engine. That is stupid! This city is one knee-jerk reaction from self destruction. I feel like we are this close to buying a Monorail from Lyle Lanley! Nobody knows what do do with our roads after this winter's damage, so I expect to drive on the gravelly pot-holed mess called the Belt Parkway as long as I live here. As soon as I can find my way, I'm out of here and I will be laughing every time I make a mortgage payment that is half of what I pay now for rent.

New York City doesn't think it is the Center of the Universe. New York City thinks it IS the universe. The world ends beyond Jersey, Long Island, and Westchester, and half of the kids here probably believe you would fall off the edge into some pre-Columbian abyss. The local papers and network news stations would rather cover Lindsay Lohan's clubbing or the latest episode of American Idol than the disasters in Japan.

I hate it here.

That was a fantastic rant. I agree totally (especially about getting out as soon as possible).

That was a fantastic rant. I agree totally (especially about getting out as soon as possible).

I agree too. As a trucker, if I have to go through the area, I'd rather take the Tappan Zee Bridge to get to I-95 instead of the GWB. Taking the 95 from NJ through NYC up into CT is one giant PITRE (not to mention that if you get stuck in traffic and your hours of service are about to run out, that can be a serious infraction).

Unfortunately, there's a reason (and probably many more) why it's also called "The City that Never Sleeps".

I'd have to have be given a very, very, very good reason why I should live there - and no sane human being is going to be able to convince me.

I hate it here.

There's a famous cartoon that describes that. Here's a picture of it: http://bigthink.com/ideas/21121

I wouldn't like it there, either. I like big cities, but not that one. Maybe if everyone spent a week with a mop and a bucket it would seem a little nicer. But IMO, New York City has nothing on Chicago, Washington, Toronto, London, or a bunch of other cities that I've been to and/or lived in.

There's a famous cartoon that describes that. Here's a picture of it: http://bigthink.com/ideas/21121

I wouldn't like it there, either. I like big cities, but not that one. Maybe if everyone spent a week with a mop and a bucket it would seem a little nicer. But IMO, New York City has nothing on Chicago, Washington, Toronto, London, or a bunch of other cities that I've been to and/or lived in.

The commentary about that cartoon adds to the argument about NYC's hubris, to say the least.

To be fair, Mike Bloomberg has officially been an idiot for years.

:lol:

I guess it's fair to say that every time he opens his mouth and does something, he removes any doubt in people's minds that he's an idiot.

Archived