Stamkos

BuffaloSoldier2010

Let it be known that this is completely hypothetical. I realize the chance of us getting the boy wonder signed as our top center are about as likely as seeing gas drop below $1.00 / gallon. That being said, Terry stated that he wanted to make Buffalo a place where players in the league wanted to be. Does signing a top player like a Stamkos, Richards, or Malkin (although very unlikely) help the boys in blue and gold accomplish that feat? Does the skill of your players make you more attractive as a franchise? or does the accompanying lack in cap space turn players away? I'm just looking for some opinions.

I know i've seen them, and Im not saying i think we can get him. I'm saying hypothetically if we did land him, would it be for better or worse? Obviously he has an offensive upside and would probably boost his linemates stats tremendously. But would it hinder our ability to acquire other key pieces on the road to becoming a true contender?

I know i've seen them, and Im not saying i think we can get him. I'm saying hypothetically if we did land him, would it be for better or worse? Obviously he has an offensive upside and would probably boost his linemates stats tremendously. But would it hinder our ability to acquire other key pieces on the road to becoming a true contender?

Well since its hypothetical, Stamkos even if you gave up 4 first round picks to get him and he cost you 10mil a year for the next decade is worth it. You could still sign most of your young players and the thing with the sabres is that Hecht, and Connolly, and other people will come off your books freeing up that cap space. You would have to replace some upper mid level guys with some lower level talent but hey Pitts won a cup like that, and besides miller will be making less in a few years or he wont get resigned so you have a couple of 2mil a piece goalies and your fine, not to mention what if the cap keeps going up by 1.5mil ish, after 5 years it wouldnt mattr. Thats all I am saying and good luck man, you are gonna get ripped apart for even suggesting this.

Yea, this has been hashed out pretty much.

If he reaches the RFA perioed unsigned by Tampa (which I believe his agent would be a fool if Stamkos didn't reach the offer sheet period, it adds leverage against Tampa for a better contract in my opinion) then Pegula and Black should order Regier to throw a monster contract at this kid.

10 million a season for 12 seasons, reasoning:

1. Stamkos is 21 years old and one of the top 5 players in the league.

2. He is a center with mad skills, he is exactly what the Sabres currently lack.

3. A contract of that size assures us his agent would have his client sign it.

4. We loose nothing if Tampa matches, but that size of a contract would hamstring Tampa a bit in conjuction with the Lecalavier contract and there is no way another team in the league takes on the remaining 65 million for 9 seasons of Lecavalier, therefore, there could be a chance they let Stamkos go for the four 1st round picks, albeit, a very very small chance though.

5. Stamkos under a contract of that nature would be the center piece of the organization and would be under contract through his most prime years.

6. This would for sure show that the Sabres are committed to winning and would once again, be a center piece for other NHL talent to take note of on the clasiness of the organiztion towards that committment, making Buffalo a very attractive place to come and play.

7. At 10 million a season, this would not hamstring Buffalo to re-signing Myers, Stafford or Montador. I am not so worried about the defensemen situation given the over abundance of potential talent on the blueline situation currently in the pipeline. We could see ELC defensemen for the next 5 seasons at a couple of positions on D as Persson, Brennan, Scheistel, Crawford, Biega, Feinhage, Mackanzie, McNabb, Gauthier-Leduc and Pysyk all look to attempt to make the team in that time frame.

8. Stamkos currently has St. Louis as his main feeding partner, Buffalo offers a plethora of skilled wingers he could play with, not just one constant but a chance at multiples, thereby potentially elevating his game even beyond it's current level.

It all sounds fantastic, but as I conceded in the other thread to PA? I believe, I can't see Tampa not matching any offer. But I would have to believe the legnth of that contract and the annual 10 million would make them think, even just for a second.

Well since its hypothetical, Stamkos even if you gave up 4 first round picks to get him and he cost you 10mil a year for the next decade is worth it. You could still sign most of your young players and the thing with the sabres is that Hecht, and Connolly, and other people will come off your books freeing up that cap space. You would have to replace some upper mid level guys with some lower level talent but hey Pitts won a cup like that, and besides miller will be making less in a few years or he wont get resigned so you have a couple of 2mil a piece goalies and your fine, not to mention what if the cap keeps going up by 1.5mil ish, after 5 years it wouldnt mattr. Thats all I am saying and good luck man, you are gonna get ripped apart for even suggesting this.

Thanks, that's all i was looking for. and i dont really care if they rip me apart hahaha, if you can't ask questions on this board without getting criticized then its safe to say whose opinions can be overlooked most of the time. I really do enjoy your input though KTN, makes for some interesting reading.

It all sounds fantastic, but as I conceded in the other thread to PA? I believe, I can't see Tampa not matching any offer. But I would have to believe the legnth of that contract and the annual 10 million would make them think, even just for a second.

Is there a magic number for buffalo right now in regards to a max cap hit they can afford on one player? and im not saying specifically stamkos, although he would easily have the highest value

We should sign Stamkos to an offer sheet and trade Philly for Mike Richards. It would be like Briere/Drury again, but even better. :thumbsup:

Seriously, though, if you have the chance to acquire a player of that caliber, you do it. Having that type of player is one part of making a team desirable to other players. Sure, ego may make some players want to be "that guy" on a team that they sign with, but most players want to sign on with a team that already has talent. Now, that said, there is a lot of other work that is needed to make a true contender, but there are a lot more choices for supporting cast role players than there are for true top-tier talent. Buffalo has been trying to build around the best players that they have, not the best players in the league. I'd like to see them try the latter.

Is there a magic number for buffalo right now in regards to a max cap hit they can afford on one player? and im not saying specifically stamkos, although he would easily have the highest value

My numbers are from that site Cap Geek, Weave pointed me there and my son also knew of it. 10 mil for Stamkos and we could still afford to re-sign Montador and Stafford to very good contracts for them.

2011-2012 Sabres current cap outlook: $40,842,024 with 12 players under contract and 6 players on the current roster RFA's (excluding Mancari, I don't see him coming back next season)

RFA's

Drew Stafford - 3.7 mil a season for 2 or 3 seasons?

Steve Montador - 2.3 mil a season for 2 or 3 seasons?

Andrej Sekera - 1.5 mil a season for 3 seasons?

Chris Butler - 1 mil a season for 2 or 3 seasons? (I think he should be traded, Weber is much, much better, and the pipeline is stacked)

Mike Weber - 800k for 2 seasons?

Jhonas Enroth - 900k for 2 seasons?

(just a guess mind you) Total RFA signing's: 10.2 million

Speculative Cap ceiling next season: 61.5 million

10.2 million + 40,842,024 = 51,042,024

So, just guessing right now, a 10 mil a season contract puts Buffalo at 19 players with just under 500k left.

It's all speculation however on those RFA contracts, I went high on them to see where we would stand. I honestly believe we'll have around 1.5 to 2 million left as some of those contracts were a bit inflated.

But Hecht and Morrisonn come off at the end of next season for a total of 5.6 million in additional space for the 12/13 season.

Let's look at Ennis and Myers needing contracts, Myers at what? 4.5 to 5 mil a season for 4 years and Ennis at 2.5 to 2.75 for 3 or 4 years and the cap ceiling up to around 63 million? Sound reasonable or no?

Thanks, that's all i was looking for. and i dont really care if they rip me apart hahaha, if you can't ask questions on this board without getting criticized then its safe to say whose opinions can be overlooked most of the time. I really do enjoy your input though KTN, makes for some interesting reading.

thxs just thinking outside the box, next up we gotta start the Malkin thread...

The CBA sets the maximum allowed salary at 20% of the salary cap. That is actual money too, not just a cap figure. So at the current cap of $59 million (I'm rounding that off for simplicity), the most any player can make in any single year of their contract is $11.8 million.

edit: Inky, is that a single act that lasts for an entire life or is it multiple acts? I'm not sure how the first one would work out, but since we're talking about incredibly likely events, I might as well ask.

Archived