Observation/Question

fiftyone

After listening to Miller's post-game chat's with reporters, I always notice how detailed he is with his analysis and how he really seems to know the game and not just his job of keeping the puck out of the net. He gets into the intricacies of the play much more than any of the other players on the team and often times more than Ruff does when talking to reporters. I don't listen to many other goalies in the league talk after games, but does anyone know if this is the norm for goalies? Or is Miller different? I know goalies aren't known much at all for coaching after their careers are over, but does anyone see that being a possibility for Miller after he's done? Or am I way off here?

After listening to Miller's post-game chat's with reporters, I always notice how detailed he is with his analysis and how he really seems to know the game and not just his job of keeping the puck out of the net. He gets into the intricacies of the play much more than any of the other players on the team and often times more than Ruff does when talking to reporters. I don't listen to many other goalies in the league talk after games, but does anyone know if this is the norm for goalies? Or is Miller different? I know goalies aren't known much at all for coaching after their careers are over, but does anyone see that being a possibility for Miller after he's done? Or am I way off here?

Good observation. Ryan needs to worry about playing goal and not coaching the team.

I really don't want to turn it into a "Ryan Miller sucks" thread. But i'd say today he did his job while the rest of his team didn't.

For once, that really wasn't my point. I just think he'd be better of not sitting back there trying to analyze the game. He did it again just now in the postgame show, talking about the Blues' tendencies.

But you're right, sometimes he almost upstages or shows up his coach with his postgame comments.

But you're right, sometimes he almost upstages or shows up his coach with his postgame comments.

It's bothered me since day one. He should just worry about playing goalie. If I was a skater on the team, I wouldn't b too thrilled with a guy who can't play your position and doesn't know how to play your position critiquing it.

I don't hear Gaustad telling reporters how to play goalie.

For once, that really wasn't my point. I just think he'd be better of not sitting back there trying to analyze the game. He did it again just now in the postgame show, talking about the Blues' tendencies.

We don't often agree about anything Miller-related, but on this one I can't argue. Wasn't it last year when he said he was going to stop worrying about what everyone else was supposed to do and just worry about stopping the puck, and I think that's when he went on a tear. Maybe he is overthinking what the other team is going to do, what he D is supposed to do, and where he fits in that. Maybe it's time to go back to "see puck, stop puck."

And of course with that lopsided eye, just the "see the puck" portion is tough enough.

This begs the question then: Is the team's uninspired play basically an FU to Miller? Is Miller a locker room cancer?

I wouldn't be suprised if Ryan is just sick of playing Atlas with this team and just wants to go home to Detroit. Who wouldn't? They put too much pressure on the man over the years and I think he's at the breaking point psychologically, at least in Buffalo. He's done very well for us, for a #5 draft pick but I think we leaned on him too hard, as Ruff tends to do with his goalies, because the team is unbalanced. It's like we have a big boulder in net, but he's surrounded by a jello defense.

Miller is brainy and I wouldn't be surprised if goes into coaching after hockey.

This begs the question then: Is the team's uninspired play basically an FU to Miller? Is Miller a locker room cancer?

More likely, it's the complete inability of Lindy Ruff to get his team ready to play.

Last night's game was vintage Ruff.

Can't count how many of those games I've watched since 2002 - Long before most people had ever heard of Ryan Miller.

Oh well, here's to hoping I won't have to watch Mr. Overrated and Unprepared behind the bench next season.

More likely, it's the complete inability of Lindy Ruff to get his team ready to play.

Can't count how many of those games I've watched since 2002 - Long before most people had ever heard of Ryan Miller.

Oh well, here's to hoping I won't have to watch Mr. Overrated and Unprepared behind the bench next season.

I will certainly agree 100% with this. Let's all hope that it is just one of many significant changes to come.

The more I think about it the more I am in favor of moving Miller out of here. His act has worn thin and that earlier comment on how he has earned a level of respect in the league was bush league.

Too bad he didnt know the Blues tendencies of where they are going to shoot...He should shut his mouth and stop the puck...I cant remember Barraso Hasek Edwards talking about theyre teams defenive weaknesses...I have a hard time feeling bad for a high priced goaltender shucking off his responsibities...Stop the puck and keep your mouth shut...End of story.....

My understanding is that miller has a couple of issues playing together here. He is very very smart, and he is massively socially awkward. In other words, he's the kind of nerd you don't really want to hang out with. My wife met him a couple of times when they were both at MSU, and she said he was really nice, but didn't always know what to say (or not to say). Seems like that's what's happening here. He's the dork that suddenly everyone is talking to, and of course he says the wrong things from time to time.

He definately plays better when he's not worried about what's happening with plays that don't involve him. The turnovers this year have been astounding, and surely are affecting his results directly, but in a bigger way, I think this is what is leading to his analysis and second guessing of the other skaters on the ice. I have no problem if he breaks down the game after it's over, but i think he's spending a lot of time doing it DURING the game.

Ruff isn't a miracle worker. Obviously. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Unfortunately this team is the sum of its parts.

Maybe that is why his father had him playing forward - too smart to be a goalie.

Being able to overthink things doesn't necessarily mean he's smart, it just means he's like me. He gets into a groove where he isn't thinking about the gameplay like he should be. He needs to do something to switch things up. Play forward in practice, throw on an old pair of pads and try a different playing style, do something that makes you remember all the things you do in your normal game that you take for granted. He needs to take himself out of his element/comfort zone and perform a mental reset.

Ruff isn't a miracle worker. Obviously. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Unfortunately this team is the sum of its parts.

I would agree with this, but I have seen Ruff's teams do this for almost ten years now, some of those a damn sight better than this sorry bunch.

A clear pattern developed years ago, regardless of the current roster.

The fact that he is able to understand other facets of the game only stands to make him a better goalie.

And is Miller a locker room cancer? I'd go as far to say that Miller is THE ONLY one in the locker room that has the mindset to win a championship.

Really? so you think all the other guys are ONLY there to pick up a paycheck? Stop already!

To you that's fine. To me Miller is just a loudmouth who pops off and throws his teammates under the bus.

Lockerrooms don't need cancers like that.

There is no team in Millers eyes. It's all about him.

One of the things I won't soon forget about Miller is that, early last season when the Sabres were giving up a ridiculously low number of shots per game, Miller remarked that it wasn't helping his stats. This was before he was officially named to the Olympic team.

One of the things I won't soon forget about Miller is that, early last season when the Sabres were giving up a ridiculously low number of shots per game, Miller remarked that it wasn't helping his stats. This was before he was officially named to the Olympic team.

Funny thing about that is if Tim Thomas had not been injured with a hip injury and tried to play through it, he would have been the starting goalie on the Olympic team and Miller would have been backing him up.

Miller won the job by default because of Thomas injury in my eyes.

To you that's fine. To me Miller is just a loudmouth who pops off and throws his teammates under the bus.

Lockerrooms don't need cancers like that.

There is no team in Millers eyes. It's all about him.

Well lately Miller has been making 30+ saves a game. Losing by one goal. Most of the goals scored in the past few games were from PP. When you're offense is barely scoring, I think any goalie would be frustrated. We cant expect Miller to get shutouts every game. We need to score!

As far as calling him a locker room cancer, unless you're in the locker room between periods and after games, maybe you should refrain from doing so. We should look at it from his perspective. He's a top goalie in the league playing on an inconsistent team with sub-par talent (with the exception of a few). I'm not saying I agree with Miller's demeanor but to be frustrated is human.

Well lately Miller has been making 30+ saves a game. Losing by one goal. Most of the goals scored in the past few games were from PP. When you're offense is barely scoring, I think any goalie would be frustrated. We cant expect Miller to get shutouts every game. We need to score!

As far as calling him a locker room cancer, unless you're in the locker room between periods and after games, maybe you should refrain from doing so. We should look at it from his perspective. He's a top goalie in the league playing on an inconsistent team with sub-par talent (with the exception of a few). I'm not saying I agree with Miller's demeanor but to be frustrated is human.

Bingo. As has been pointed out but many people here - no one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

And to go one step further- unless you've sat down and had heart-to-heart convos with him you have no idea if he is about himself or the team or if he is a Prima Donna or what. Most people draw conclusions based on some audio clips, which are not always in context.

In my opinion he is not a top goalie. 1/2 of a good year does not make him a top goalie, but whatever, you think what you want and i'll think what I want.

When they do score goals(like 6 last week) they still lose, who's fault is it then? Miller has given up 4+ goals about 15 times this season, you think the other guys get frustrated with Miller? I do, but you don't ever hear them throw Ryan under the bus do you. They accept blame and point the finger at themselves, something Ryan needs to obviously learn from them. In his mind it's all about him and pass the buck, real good teammate. The guy is an assssshole.

Archived