Sabres line up for next season

inkman

Why don't you have a little fun with it and put your own roster together? The spirit of this thread was supposed to be filled with hope and promise not criticism and surliness.

Haven't Buffalo sports fans been sold enough false "hope and promise" from the professional sports teams? Do yo really need to add to it?

What's wrong with taking your "roster" and breaking it down realistically? Investing major dollars, and I will guess for a lengthy term, in a 30 year old center that has size but doesn't really use it doesn't seem like the ideal move IMO.

I like the idea of going out and trying to make a real old fashion hockey trade. Put together a strong offer and try to get Kessler out of Vancouver. Make a play for Alex Steen in St Louis.

Haven't Buffalo sports fans been sold enough false "hope and promise" from the professional sports teams? Do yo really need to add to it?

What's wrong with taking your "roster" and breaking it down realistically? Investing major dollars, and I will guess for a lengthy term, in a 30 year old center that has size but doesn't really use it doesn't seem like the ideal move IMO.

I like the idea of going out and trying to make a real old fashion hockey trade. Put together a strong offer and try to get Kessler out of Vancouver. Make a play for Alex Steen in St Louis.

why alex steen?

why alex steen?

He is only 26. Had a tough year in 07-08 but seems to be bouncing back. Moderately priced at $3.4 mil signed through the 2013-14 season. He is averaging about 20 mins a game and plays in most situaitions. I could slot him on my second or third line and be content.

He is only 26. Had a tough year in 07-08 but seems to be bouncing back. Moderately priced at $3.4 mil signed through the 2013-14 season. He is averaging about 20 mins a game and plays in most situaitions. I could slot him on my second or third line and be content.

yeah hed be more of a role player though. but yeah good pick hes on pace for 58 points this year too. i dont know if you could expect that kind of production every year though.

isnt Joe Thorton a free agent. hey if we are playing what would Sign Thorton, Trade Roy and Pommenville to LA for Dustin Brown. My centers would be down the middle Joe Thorton, Dustin Brown, Luke Adam, and Gausted(the best center lineup the sabres have had since Hawerchuck, LaFontaine). My Lines would be Thorton, Vanek, Ennis, second Stafford, Brown, (Gerbe?). Third Kaletta, Adam, Kassian, and fourth McCormick, Gausted ?. I would have to find a way to insert Hecht and not resign Connolly. Defensively I let Rivet leave and bring back Montador. I think that would actually lower our cap figure even if you give Thorton 7 million, and you could get a solid backup goalie and fill in the holes and depth.

isnt Joe Thorton a free agent. hey if we are playing what would Sign Thorton, Trade Roy and Pommenville to LA for Dustin Brown. My centers would be down the middle Joe Thorton, Dustin Brown, Luke Adam, and Gausted(the best center lineup the sabres have had since Hawerchuck, LaFontaine). My Lines would be Thorton, Vanek, Ennis, second Stafford, Brown, (Gerbe?). Third Kaletta, Adam, Kassian, and fourth McCormick, Gausted ?. I would have to find a way to insert Hecht and not resign Connolly. Defensively I let Rivet leave and bring back Montador. I think that would actually lower our cap figure even if you give Thorton 7 million, and you could get a solid backup goalie and fill in the holes and depth.

Joe Thorton is signed. And LA is already well equiped at RW so I don't see them looking for Pomminstein.

If Buffalo can't (or won't) sign Richards we are most likely going to see another season with insufficient talent at center. Luke Adam would be pressed into #2 center duty and that probably means that our #3 center will be either Goose or Hecht. Not ideal by any means. I suppose the team could sign an upgrade for the #3 center position and keep Hecht on the wing and goose on the 4th line where they belong. But still, that doesn't upgrade the top 2 center positions at all, and that has been Buffalo's biggest deficiency since the Briere/Drury debacle.

If Buffalo can't (or won't) sign Richards we are most likely going to see another season with insufficient talent at center. Luke Adam would be pressed into #2 center duty and that probably means that our #3 center will be either Goose or Hecht. Not ideal by any means. I suppose the team could sign an upgrade for the #3 center position and keep Hecht on the wing and goose on the 4th line where they belong. But still, that doesn't upgrade the top 2 center positions at all, and that has been Buffalo's biggest deficiency since the Briere/Drury debacle.

That and the lack of a quality back-up.

No apology necessary, just wish more people put time into creating their line up for next seasons team.

I'll bite. And I'll give you two. One that includes Richards as an FA aquisition and one that assumes the Sabres don't spring the $7M for Richards.

With Richards

Thomas Vanek - Brad Richards (FA) - Justin Williams (FA)

Tyler Ennis - Derek Roy - Drew Stafford

Jochen Hecht - Luke Adam - Jason Pomminstein

Cody McCormick - Paul Gaustad - Markus Foligno

Tyler Myers - Jordan Leopold

Mike Weber - Joni Pitkanen (FA)

Andrej Sekera - Shaone Morissonn

Ryan Miller

Mathieu Garon (FA)

Patrick Kaleta - Chris Butler

No Richards

Vanek - Roy - Justin Williams (FA)

Jussi Jokinen (FA) - Adam - Stafford

Ennis - Hecht - Pomminstein

Cody McCormick - Paul Gaustad - Markus Foligno

Tyler Myers - Jordan Leopold

Trevor Daley (FA) - Joni Pitkanen (FA)

Mike Weber - Shaone Morissonn

Ryan Miller

Mathieu Garon (FA)

Patrick Kaleta - Andrej Sekera

For all I know, this could be totally unrealistic. I have no idew what these guys are going to command on the FA market. According to Capgeek, in 2011-12 the Sabres should have $22.5M in cap spce to sign FA's from.

In the 1st scenario Richards moves Roy down to his rightful spot as a #2 center and a 3rd scoring line anchored by Adam is created. Pitkanen should give the PP another option so we don't have to see Pommers on the point anymore.

In the 2nd scenario Hecht is pushed into centering the 3rd line and we sign a legit #2 LW. Pitkanen comes on as well and Daley should be an upgrade over Montador.

In both cases Justin Williams stays healthy :) and is our #1 RW and Garon becomes Miller's backup so he only has to play 60-65 games.

Oh for pete's sake. Here we go again with the "I want player X" theme. Vancouver isn't trading Kesler.

Oh for pete's sake. Here we go again with the "I want player X" theme. Vancouver isn't trading Kesler.

You've called them already? What did you offer?

It's not about this player or that player. It's about a mind set. You are still trapped in the Regier mindset that everything is too hard or next to impossible. I hope a new owner and front office feel differently and can actually get stuff done.

You've called them already? What did you offer?

It's not about this player or that player. It's about a mind set. You are still trapped in the Regier mindset that everything is too hard or next to impossible. I hope a new owner and front office feel differently and can actually get stuff done.

Not too hard or impossible. Just silly. Should the new GM also inquire after Eric Staal? Or Ovechkin? How about Toewa or Mike Richards?

Archived