Ten Burning Questions About Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

3. Will "character" become a buzzword for the franchise?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. 3. Will "character" become a buzzword for the franchise?

• Yes
    • No

Pegula has talked about how youth hockey builds character in kids and how NCAA players are being coveted more and more because (in his words) they leave school more "well-rounded" than non-college players -- and he quoted Scripture in his press conference at Penn State. Will he try to stamp the Sabres with his personal values?

I voted no.

I just think people are getting way to excited about the prospect of a new owner. People either believe he is going to clean house or he is going to throw money around and buyout all the bad contracts. I have a sick feeling in my stomach that when the dust settles or the ink drys on the sale contract that Status Quo will remain firmly in place. That would make "character" as meaningless a word to this front office as "team toughness", "compete" and "accountability."

I'll predict a short honeymoon for Terry Pegula and the Sabres fans.

I voted no.

I just think people are getting way to excited about the prospect of a new owner. People either believe he is going to clean house or he is going to throw money around and buyout all the bad contracts. I have a sick feeling in my stomach that when the dust settles or the ink drys on the sale contract that Status Quo will remain firmly in place. That would make "character" as meaningless a word to this front office as "team toughness", "compete" and "accountability."

Larry has already said he is out when Tom is out, so I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Change is good and this team needs to start fresh. The timing couldn't be better. The team will keep a few key guys but everything is wide open. New coach, gm, front office, players, system, marketing, etc. It is time and I'm looking fwd to it.

Larry has already said he is out when Tom is out, so I have no idea WTF you are talking about.

Larry leaving is a good start, but one could argue that leaving Regier and Ruff in place will do little to mend the current woes of this team.

I don't see either sent packing right away, I think they'll get a shot under new ownership.

That said, if Darcy remains Darcy and Ruff remains Ruff, I don't see how either are here by christmas 2011.

I said no, but not for the reasons DeLuca said.

Marv Levy talked about character when he took over as the Bills GM and look how that turned out. If Pegula's people do their homework, the word "character" won't exist in their dictionary...or at least it would be used wisely.

If we're talking about the players, yes, I'd prefer they would be good people who don't gather attention for off-the-ice activities and are respected and revered by their peers. But I also want the nasty, Sean Avery types that get under the opponents' skin and potentially affect the outcome of the game.

Pegula has talked about how youth hockey builds character in kids and how NCAA players are being coveted more and more because (in his words) they leave school more "well-rounded" than non-college players -- and he quoted Scripture in his press conference at Penn State. Will he try to stamp the Sabres with his personal values?

Well rounded for 'their' experience and certainly more educated but I want hockey players not scholars. Smarts are good in hockey players,we don't want moose but college players aren't the be all and end all of 'complete' hockey players. There has to be a mix and if Pegula is going to get involved in the scouting of players and interfere with his hockey department and more specifically the drafting process this team may be in more trouble than we think.

Interesting choice of word,Character. Well the dictionary does have multiple meaning for the word. Character by itself can be either good or bad just what distinguishes the entity in question.

Of course I know you you are implying the rational definition with your question qualities of honesty, courage, or the like; integrity possibly even moral or ethical quality.

To that defintion I voted yes. We really only know what we can read about him and no one is perfect but as to the measure of the man so far what we see looks like what we would get.

Someone who obviously has business intelligence, can put together and execute a plan successfully and has passion for the things he values and holds important. If he brings that and the above definition of character to the Sabres then I honestly can say that I might actually get to see that cup parade in Buffalo in my lifetime.

I hope "talent" becomes the buzzword for this organization. As in "current talent" on the team and "finding talent" as in the draft and F/A. This also applies to the coaching and front office staff.

Yes Please, absolutely across the entire organ'eye'zation.

I voted no.

Getting rid of LQ will be a big change. However, I don't think we're going to see the team wildly throwing money around. I don't think they are going to take a $10MM hit to buy out Pommer, and I don't think they are going to run the team at a level at which it's losing $10MM per year. I would expect though that they won't be as shortsighted and amateurish when it comes to contracts as has recently been the case.

Archived