World Junior Championship

Derrico

Watching TSN this morning I believe it was McKenzie gushing about Sabres prospect Marcus Foligno. In the first intra-squad game for Team Canada, Foligno was described as a beast along the boards and scored two of his teams four goals. He's still a bit of a longshot to make the team but it appears to be a good start for the Sudburry Wovles forward.

Foligno is actaully a Buffalo born product whom declared himself to play for Team Canada at international events.

Thought this would be a good thread to start posting World Junior info on the Sabres of tomorrow. Sorry if there is already a thread.

Watching TSN this morning I believe it was McKenzie gushing about Sabres prospect Marcus Foligno. In the first intra-squad game for Team Canada, Foligno was described as a beast along the boards and scored two of his teams four goals. He's still a bit of a longshot to make the team but it appears to be a good start for the Sudburry Wovles forward.

Foligno is actaully a Buffalo born product whom declared himself to play for Team Canada at international events.

Thought this would be a good thread to start posting World Junior info on the Sabres of tomorrow. Sorry if there is already a thread.

There was a thread when Team Canada announced their preliminary roster and it included four Sabres prospects. We might as well start a new one now that the tournament is almost here.

I made sure to get tickets to one of the Team Canada games just to check out the Sabres prospects. I'm hoping at least two of our guys [out of Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, and Pysyk] make the cut.

Does anyone know if the games will be on TV in Buffalo?

There was a thread when Team Canada announced their preliminary roster and it included four Sabres prospects. We might as well start a new one now that the tournament is almost here.

I made sure to get tickets to one of the Team Canada games just to check out the Sabres prospects. I'm hoping at least two of our guys [out of Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, and Pysyk] make the cut.

Does anyone know if the games will be on TV in Buffalo?

The games have been on the NHL Network in the States for the last two years. They expanded their coverage last year and I'm hoping more of the same this year. All of the games at HSBC should be broadcasted live which is great.

If anyone is interested this was the write-up on Filigno and the game here. Obviously it's basically an enhanced practice but still intersting discussing the young guys. From the sounds of it Kassian is a lock as a top six forward but a roster spot is in doubt for the other three.

One of the comments below the article:

I dont get all the hype for Kassian. Saw him play in Owen Sound a month or so ago, and he was invisible, meanwhile Hishon and Wilson stole the show, they looked to be in a different class than him. I know its one game, but he really was invisible. And if that Foligno kid makes it I'm gonna vomit.

This guy really hates our prospects. :lol:

I made sure to get tickets to one of the Team Canada games just to check out the Sabres prospects. I'm hoping at least two of our guys [out of Kassian, Foligno, McNabb, and Pysyk] make the cut.Does anyone know if the games will be on TV in Buffalo?

Well, you got your wish. I'm very interested in this Foligno kid. He scored another goal last night in their exibition game.

Well, you got your wish. I'm very interested in this Foligno kid. He scored another goal last night in their exibition game.

I'm pretty happy about this. Those are the two players I'm most interested in. [Although I think McNabb might have the highest ceiling of the four prospects we sent to that camp.]

When the Team Canada coaches knocked on Markus Foligno's door early Wednesday morning they said "We asked you when you came to make our job difficult, you didn't make it difficult, you made it impossible. Welcome to Team Canada," said Cameron to an overjoyed Foligno.

Read it here.

I'm interested to see what this kid can do. By the way, does anyone know the situation with sabres prospects not on Team Canada? I'm assuming most teams rosters have now been set, just wondering who else to watch for in the tourney.

When the Team Canada coaches knocked on Markus Foligno's door early Wednesday morning they said "We asked you when you came to make our job difficult, you didn't make it difficult, you made it impossible. Welcome to Team Canada," said Cameron to an overjoyed Foligno.

Read it here.

I'm interested to see what this kid can do. By the way, does anyone know the situation with sabres prospects not on Team Canada? I'm assuming most teams rosters have now been set, just wondering who else to watch for in the tourney.

By all accounts he wasn't supposed to make it so this is all gravy for him and the Sabres as an organization because this can only benefit him and his development. Good for him.

By all accounts he wasn't supposed to make it so this is all gravy for him and the Sabres as an organization because this can only benefit him and his development. Good for him.

You'll know better than most since you're up in Canada, but I was under the impression that McNabb was supposed to have a good shot at making this team. Was that the case or am I just off on this one? I figured the Sabres would get two guys on there, but McNabb instead of Foligno.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

in advance of attending tonight's game, i thought i'd post about what i saw yesterday when the canadians played the swiss.

kassian and foligno played most of the night on the same line. neither of them stood out to me; they both seemed to have solid if unspectacular games. it was their oft-time linemate, ryan johansen (19), who looked like a man among boys (he's a columbus prospect).

the thing that struck me about kassian's game was how frequently i saw him skating away and apart from a scrum that had formed right before a puck was frozen by the swiss goalie. he spends a fair amount of time trying to line up a spectacular hit. nothing wrong with that, but i thought he did so to the detriment of positional play. lastly, i thought he exhibited more than decent hands.

i know that bucky was waxing poetic about young foligno's potential role with the sabres after the game against the swedes. in the game against the swiss, he looked like a solid two-way player with decent vision and average hands. the second coming of tim kennedy perhaps.

in advance of attending tonight's game, i thought i'd post about what i saw yesterday when the canadians played the swiss.

kassian and foligno played most of the night on the same line. neither of them stood out to me; they both seemed to have solid if unspectacular games. it was their oft-time linemate, ryan johansen (19), who looked like a man among boys (he's a columbus prospect).

the thing that struck me about kassian's game was how frequently i saw him skating away and apart from a scrum that had formed right before a puck was frozen by the swiss goalie. he spends a fair amount of time trying to line up a spectacular hit. nothing wrong with that, but i thought he did so to the detriment of positional play. lastly, i thought he exhibited more than decent hands.

i know that bucky was waxing poetic about young foligno's potential role with the sabres after the game against the swedes. in the game against the swiss, he looked like a solid two-way player with decent vision and average hands. the second coming of tim kennedy perhaps.

The thing I liked about Folignos game is he goes to all the dirty areas without hesitation(something the sabres need) and put himself into a few good scoring chances (against swiss) that he just failed to capitalize on. Not sure where the Tim Kennedy comparison comes from. I don't see any similarity between these two.Well not in the sense that Kennedy is now an average ahl player and I'm hoping Foligno is a big part of the sabres future. I think Kassian at this point is afraid that he's being watched and doesn't want to put his team down. Could be he's hesitant to put himself in the sights of the refs?

The thing I liked about Folignos game is he goes to all the dirty areas without hesitation(something the sabres need) and put himself into a few good scoring chances (against swiss) that he just failed to capitalize on. Not sure where the Tim Kennedy comparison comes from. I don't see any similarity between these two.Well not in the sense that Kennedy is now an average ahl player and I'm hoping Foligno is a big part of the sabres future. I think Kassian at this point is afraid that he's being watched and doesn't want to put his team down. Could be he's hesitant to put himself in the sights of the refs?

i was being a bit flip on the foligno/kennedy angle. what i had in mind was that he might be another young "hometown" player who's a marginal nhl talent.

as you point out, i may have noticed kassian on the fringe of several scrums because he was trying to stay out of trouble. that said, he made several attempts to line up a spectacular hit -- none of them connected.

i was being a bit flip on the foligno/kennedy angle. what i had in mind was that he might be another young "hometown" player who's a marginal nhl talent.

as you point out, i may have noticed kassian on the fringe of several scrums because he was trying to stay out of trouble. that said, he made several attempts to line up a spectacular hit -- none of them connected.

Except for one that got him suspended for two games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSDm3YNBdw

Archived