Best NHL GM's for the buck

spndnchz

2 comments: 1st off, if Don Waddell is the 5th best GM, you've got a SERIOUSLY flawed methodology.

2nd, while I agree that Darcy could very likely do better "unshackled," there is no guarantee that he will. IMHO, Muckler was a very good GM when he was given a tight budget (and told no more Euler re-treads), but I wouldn't say his efforts without significant constraints were even remotely close to good enough.

As a side note: one reason that I hate the current point system is that this is one of Darcy's "five straight winning seasons":

Sabres 2007-08

Regulation wins: 30

Regulation losses: 31

OT/SO wins: 9

OT/SO losses: 12

Overall reported record: 39-31-12

So, more losses than wins in regulation, more losses than wins in OT/SO, and (of course) more total losses than total wins, but it is considered a winning season. :wallbash:

Someone please hide this story from Pegs. (Actually, let him see it; it sounds like he's very much up on what's been going on in Sabreland; he knows the score; today is use more semicolons day.)

"You have to like the consistency under Regier." ???!!!

On the verge of missing the playoffs for the sixth time in nine years (Eleven and Jack, you checked the standings lately?). That's really not the consistency you want.

2 comments: 1st off, if Don Waddell is the 5th best GM, you've got a SERIOUSLY flawed methodology.

2nd, while I agree that Darcy could very likely do better "unshackled," there is no guarantee that he will. IMHO, Muckler was a very good GM when he was given a tight budget (and told no more Euler re-treads), but I wouldn't say his efforts without significant constraints were even remotely close to good enough.

Totally agree on Waddell. Everyone keeps telling me what a great GM he is, but I've seen no empirical evidence of such. The Thrashers made the playoffs a whopping one time under his watch, and wasn't he the guy that "built" the awful U.S. Olympic hockey team in 2006?

As a side note: one reason that I hate the current point system is that this is one of Darcy's "five straight winning seasons":

Sabres 2007-08

OT/SO wins: 9

OT/SO losses: 12

So, more losses than wins in regulation, more losses than wins in OT/SO, and (of course) more total losses than total wins, but it is considered a winning season. :wallbash:

Random question: Do you know what it would look like if you separated the shootout wins/losses from those numbers?

sounds like a hit new movie: Darcy Unshackled!

Random question: Do you know what it would look like if you separated the shootout wins/losses from those numbers?

Sabres 2007-08

OT wins: 5

OT losses: 3

SO wins: 4

SO losses: 9

So, if you ended games after OT with ties, then ignoring any effect that would have on play at the end of OT, they would have been 35-34-13.

Archived