Lindy's post-game presser

fiftyone

I think the roster needs to go before Ruff.

Some guys were talking on TSN, and said word around the league is that the problem isnt Ruff but the players, and Buffalo is in for a surprise if they think letting him go will fix the probs.

I agree. But it takes years to replace a roster. Decades if you work at it at the pace Darcy works at.

I agree. But it takes years to replace a roster. Decades if you work at it at the pace Darcy works at.

Not so long if you're one of the dynamic new G.M's that are currently running the league in places like chicago( tallon,bowman), in boston, in Tampa,in Vancouver. These teams and several others have forward thinking G.M's who are getting it done and they don't sit on their hands and make excuses why they didn't improve their rosters. They certainly don't 'fear' making moves like Regier. We need change.

Ha, so true. But hockey is one of those sports where one tweak can pay huge dividends. Darcy prob wouldnt like what he was getting in return anyway.

Darcy isnt in a good position, other teams know we are going ot be very desperate soon and wont offer fair returns.

Darcy screwed the pooch long ago.

I would hate to see a coach, who no one thinks is the problem (outside of our all star media), get fired for failing to coach a bunch of kitties.

OK, just for clarity, the exchange went something like this. (PA puts on his cheesy fake mustache and pads his shirt with pillows.)

Bucky: Is there a point do you think that something drastic needs to be done, whether it's changing players, changing the coach, changing something, an impact move?

Lindy: Ummmmm.

Bucky: You know how this works, usually either the players or...

Lindy: Which one would you like? Which one would you like?

Bucky: Doesn't matter what I think, my personal opinion doesn't matter.

Lindy: Mine doesn't either.

Bucky: It matters to me.

Lindy: Doesn't matter to me.

Not so long if you're one of the dynamic new G.M's that are currently running the league in places like chicago( tallon,bowman), in boston, in Tampa,in Vancouver. These teams and several others have forward thinking G.M's who are getting it done and they don't sit on their hands and make excuses why they didn't improve their rosters. They certainly don't 'fear' making moves like Regier. We need change.

Even a dynamic GM needs several seasons to purge a roster. Burke is still purging his and he's about as dynamic as they come. With salary caps the limiting factor is usually the length of the bad contracts on the roster. Even if Darcy were inclined to purge, he's not going to be able to move alot of those Sabre contracts, so he'd have to wait them out. Consequently, changing a team (in leiu of replacing the coach) is gonna take at least a couple seasons, more likely 3 or 4. That was gist of my point.

For a coach to say his opinion doesn't matter is a sign of a greater problem. Was it directed at the players? Regier? The fans?

Nah.

What doesn't matter are opinions that coaches express at press conferences on organizational matters. Reporters are asking for organizational opinions. He and they know that he isn't in a position to talk in candor. So in that context it really doesn't matter. That is for the GM.

The question: Should you (lindy) be fired? Really isn't for him to answer.

Anyway, it is the inside game of reporters teasing out something useful. Believe it or not these reporters have an excellent relationship with Lindy Ruff. I think you can really dismiss 90% of the "on the record" stuff of most coaches in the league. An exception might be John Torterella.

OK, just for clarity, the exchange went something like this. (PA puts on his cheesy fake mustache and pads his shirt with pillows.)

Bucky: Is there a point do you think that something drastic needs to be done, whether it's changing players, changing the coach, changing something, an impact move?

Lindy: Ummmmm.

Bucky: You know how this works, usually either the players or...

Lindy: Which one would you like? Which one would you like?

Bucky: Doesn't matter what I think, my personal opinion doesn't matter.

Lindy: Mine doesn't either.

Bucky: It matters to me.

Lindy: Doesn't matter to me.

If that's how it really went down then it changes the entire dynamic of this discussion.

I don't like Bucky, but he was the one asking the questions closest to the questions I would ask, which could be summarized as "coach, what is honestly going on in there?"

Of course, the truth isn't coming, so, unfortunately, you have to pry. I don't know about you, but I am interested to hear an honest inside assessment of the situation, not the same old deflections.

I don't like Bucky, but he was the one asking the questions closest to the questions I would ask, which could be summarized as "coach, what is honestly going on in there?"

Of course, the truth isn't coming, so, unfortunately, you have to pry. I don't know about you, but I am interested to hear an honest inside assessment of the situation, not the same old deflections.

I would give your left nut.

It'll never happen. Not unless someone loses their temper or gets drunk and crashes into WGRZs studio.

Even a dynamic GM needs several seasons to purge a roster. Burke is still purging his and he's about as dynamic as they come. With salary caps the limiting factor is usually the length of the bad contracts on the roster. Even if Darcy were inclined to purge, he's not going to be able to move alot of those Sabre contracts, so he'd have to wait them out. Consequently, changing a team (in leiu of replacing the coach) is gonna take at least a couple seasons, more likely 3 or 4. That was gist of my point.

I understand your point but my point is that these guys aren't afraid to improve their rosters. I'm not asking Regier to walk on water but at least improve the damn roster from season to season and ( now this is forward thinking) during the season. When was the last time you saw Regier bring in players during the season that actually upgraded the team? He sits on his hands and complains that this is a hard league to make deals while every team in the league appears to be making deals to try to improve their rosters.

Archived