Mancari is here for now, but not to stay

wildcat48

Mancari is here now, but not to stay

Published on: 4th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

It’s like being stuck between a rock and a hard place for forward Mark Mancari.

In four of the last five years, Mancari has posted 20 goal seasons; he’s been an AHL All-Star twice and holds the record for the hardest shot (102.8mph), yet he’s stuck in the AHL.

Link>>>>

Mancari is here now, but not to stay

Published on: 4th October, 2010 by Chris Roy

Link>>>>

Not to kick the guy why he's down (in the AHL) but this part reflects pretty poorly on him (translation: I don't like physical play & that's ok because the coach excused me from doing so). As for being pleased with his training camp - apparently not the case since he's now in Portland. KHL here you come next year.

Mancari squashed his critics’ beliefs that he needs to play a more physical game. At 6-3, 225-pounds, many have questioned Mancari’s toughness on the ice, playing it off as he’s too finesse for his size.

Mancari certain doesn’t believe so and neither do the Sabres.

“A lot of people think or have said that because (I’m) a big guy and (I) needs to do this or that and Buffalo doesn’t say that,” Mancari said. “Buffalo said I don’t have too. They want me to score goals and be an offensive (player).”

“I think they were pleased with my camp.”

“A lot of people think or have said that because (I’m) a big guy and (I) needs to do this or that and Buffalo doesn’t say that,” Mancari said. “Buffalo said I don’t have too. They want me to score goals and be an offensive (player).”

That would explain where Stafford got that idea.

Just sayin' for those folks who might be running a journalism-oriented site: it's "I don't have to," not "I don't have too."

All that aside, sorry, Mark, but you don't have it, and you don't show it. There are 12 spots on an NHL team for forwards--double the number available for defensemen--and you likely will not crack the Sabres lineup unless there are numerous injuries. I do hope that there's a trade in your future; maybe you can play somewhere, and maybe the Sabres can get a draft pick. But you just aren't the guy for this club.

I took that as he was sent back down and has to pass through waivers before he is reassigned, not waived per say.

It's a matter of semantics, but that's exactly what waivers are. You have to be waived in order to be sent down. The only reason it surprises me is that by sending an injured guy down, his paycheck is cut significantly, even though that injury occurred at the NHL level.

Just sayin' for those folks who might be running a journalism-oriented site: it's "I don't have to," not "I don't have too."

All that aside, sorry, Mark, but you don't have it, and you don't show it. There are 12 spots on an NHL team for forwards--double the number available for defensemen--and you likely will not crack the Sabres lineup unless there are numerous injuries. I do hope that there's a trade in your future; maybe you can play somewhere, and maybe the Sabres can get a draft pick. But you just aren't the guy for this club.

Amen.

And that remark just goes to show why he's a career AHL'er.

No Mark, Buffalo might not want you to play like Patrick Kaleta, but clearly you are dillusional if you think your offense alone will help you make the big club.

I am hoping Mancari will replace Gaustad, but it's taking a long time. Maybe too long.

Still can't forget Gaustad going 0-30 in playoff goals/games.

But, but, but.... He wins all those faceoffs...!! And he plays so physical!! How dare you question him??!

/sarcasm mode off

:thumbsup:

But, but, but.... He wins all those faceoffs...!! And he plays so physical!! How dare you question him??!

/sarcasm mode off

:thumbsup:

Gaustad got a huge ovation during the jersey unveiling. Rick announced him as The Goose, and the crowd, uh, goosed.

Sometimes I think this fanbase gets exactly what it deserves.

So Vogl's piece in the Buffalo News today says that Gragnani will be placed on IR, but wildcat's story said he already cleared waivers. Any clarification on that wildcat? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was nothing more than another case of foot-in-the-mouth for the Buffalo News.

So Vogl's piece in the Buffalo News today says that Gragnani will be placed on IR, but wildcat's story said he already cleared waivers. Any clarification on that wildcat? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it was nothing more than another case of foot-in-the-mouth for the Buffalo News.

MacKenzie at TSN said everyone from yesterday cleared except a few, he's not in "the few".

It's a matter of semantics, but that's exactly what waivers are. You have to be waived in order to be sent down. The only reason it surprises me is that by sending an injured guy down, his paycheck is cut significantly, even though that injury occurred at the NHL level.

Are you referring to the AHL salary vs. NHL with the 2 way contracts or is there another factor at play when an injury is involved ?

My bet you nailed It.

Hmm, why am I not surprised by this? Oh yeah, I think it was two years ago that Ink and I were saying Mancari wasn't NHL material. Watching him ###### foot around the AHL with the Amerks was enough for me to realize he wasn't gonna use his size. i sometimes wonder what LQ and DR are waiting to see from some players that give you the same thing over and over. Do they think a light switch is gonna go on and all of a sudden Mancari is gonna start throwing his huge frame around? Now he sounds like a bigger pansy saying the Sabres said "I don't have to". That should go over well if someone ever challenges him to a fight.

It might be both... You can still put a player on waivers and then place him on IR... A player on waivers doesn't always mean he's being sent down so I could see Buffalo placing him on waivers, clearing him, then putting him on the IR which stops the clock before he needs waivers again.

Once he comes off IR, he'll be assigned to Portland.

It might be both... You can still put a player on waivers and then place him on IR... A player on waivers doesn't always mean he's being sent down so I could see Buffalo placing him on waivers, clearing him, then putting him on the IR which stops the clock before he needs waivers again.

Once he comes off IR, he'll be assigned to Portland.

Nice explanation, Thanks.

Wow that sounds like a slick little piece of manuevering early in the season when all the other teams are crunching their rosters to get under the max. Dare I wonder if it is accidental or if the FO finally hired someone who studied the all the rules. :rolleyes:

Nice explanation, Thanks.

Wow that sounds like a slick little piece of manuevering early in the season when all the other teams are crunching their rosters to get under the max. Dare I wonder if it is accidental or if the FO finally hired someone who studied the all the rules. :rolleyes:

Like you asked with your earlier post, it is about the AHL salary vs. NHL salary on his two-way contract. He got hurt with the NHL club and the PA would be all over them if they tried to suddenly lower his paycheck after being injured on the job. So sorry, there's nothing creative and sneaky going on here.

I think I read the wildcat article too quickly, as I was assuming it stated that Gragnani has already been assigned to Portland, which it doesn't actually say.

Archived