Game Discussion Thread: Sabres @ Flyers, 10/01/10

spndnchz

Hopefully somebody doesn't start treating him like a big boy and rag doll him up and down the ice.

Yeah he cannot get pulled into those confrontations because he will lose 100% of the time unless he suckers somebody. He needs to use his speed and size and get them chasing him instead.

Second period Flyers took over and thee kids started looking like kids again. I just want to see them come out and finish strong here in the 3rd, especially with the rematch Sunday to set the tone going back to your own barn.

The description d4rksabre said is well known, he just doesn't seem interested. As i said in one of the game threads (may have been the Ottawa one), Paul Hamilton on WGR said the same exact thing, that Stafford may play himself out of the league, BUT, based on what Hamilton has heard, Stafford may have actually realized over the summer he'll never be a rock star and may focus on his hockey more. I expect Stafford to have a big season this year, be at or near 30 goals. However, I don't think the Sabres re-sign him. They will let him walk because of guys like Luke Adam and Zach Kassian who will be ready next year at this time to take over. All the Sabres need from Stafford is one good year, it'll be a win win for both sides, we'll get more wins and Stafford will get more money via free agency in July.

The description d4rksabre said is well known, he just doesn't seem interested. As i said in one of the game threads (may have been the Ottawa one), Paul Hamilton on WGR said the same exact thing, that Stafford may play himself out of the league, BUT, based on what Hamilton has heard, Stafford may have actually realized over the summer he'll never be a rock star and may focus on his hockey more. I expect Stafford to have a big season this year, be at or near 30 goals. However, I don't think the Sabres re-sign him. They will let him walk because of guys like Luke Adam and Zach Kassian who will be ready next year at this time to take over. All the Sabres need from Stafford is one good year, it'll be a win win for both sides, we'll get more wins and Stafford will get more money via free agency in July.

With how some of the rookies played this preseason Drew Stafford has a lot to be worried about. He can easily be this years Paillie or MacArthur. This is a kid that doesn't have the fire needed to play at the NHL level. He has the size and the talent, he just has no heart. Hopefully the Sabres have a short lease on this kid. Give him 15-20 games to prove he has what it takes to compete in the NHL. If not? Get him out of this organization fast before he infects some of the young kids with his attitude.

Vanek update from his website:

The Buffalo Sabres Friday gave the all-clear in regard to Thomas Vanek’s injury. The winger had been injured after only 4.5 minutes on the ice and one goal against the Montreal Canadiens. Vanek was hit in the neck and suffered a neck stinger. However, he rejoined team-practice on Friday morning. According to the Sabres, Vanek would have been able to complete the game if it had been a regular season match. It being only a pre-season-game, the team didn’t want to take any risks.

Archived