NHL Network

sabres1970

Hey, somewhat of a new poster here but I'm a big stadiumwall guy so I'm somewhat used to this whole thing. Just thinking how bad the NHL Network's offseason coverage is. I love the NHL on the fly show during the season but once that ends its unwatchable. I love hockey as much as the next poster on here does but i really have no interest in watching some random game from 15 years ago or a random playoff game between two teams i could care less about. You see MLB and NFL networks have off season shows like total access and hot stove but you never see an nhl on the fly show after the last stanley cup game. Just seems like they could be doing so much better than they are. thoughts?

Hey, somewhat of a new poster here but I'm a big stadiumwall guy so I'm somewhat used to this whole thing. Just thinking how bad the NHL Network's offseason coverage is. I love the NHL on the fly show during the season but once that ends its unwatchable. I love hockey as much as the next poster on here does but i really have no interest in watching some random game from 15 years ago or a random playoff game between two teams i could care less about. You see MLB and NFL networks have off season shows like total access and hot stove but you never see an nhl on the fly show after the last stanley cup game. Just seems like they could be doing so much better than they are. thoughts?

I disagree. I'm not a baseball or football fan so I don't watch those other networks. But I love to watch the classic games from the 70s and later. Tonight they showed the Sabres' four game sweep of the Bruins with the May Day goal. I think watching those games and remembering those old players is great stuff. Plus you get a review of available UFA and RFA players, which is good information for your fantasy hockey leagues.

I only wish they had showed more games from the 60's!

I think there needs to be more of a mix. I like watching classic games now and then, and I'll even tune into a playoff series from last spring from time to time, but I crave some sort of actual hockey "coverage." NHL On the Fly is great in the regular season, but if they brought it into the off-season along with NHL Live (why does a radio show only run 3/4 the year?) there would be much more material to keep me interested.

I disagree. I'm not a baseball or football fan so I don't watch those other networks. But I love to watch the classic games from the 70s and later. Tonight they showed the Sabres' four game sweep of the Bruins with the May Day goal. I think watching those games and remembering those old players is great stuff. Plus you get a review of available UFA and RFA players, which is good information for your fantasy hockey leagues.

I only wish they had showed more games from the 60's!

Online for $5 a month. NHL.com has games from the '60's through last year. Click video then Watch Classic Games.

All networks have their pluses and negatives to them. I love the vintage games on the NHL Network so i'm very happy they air them. But, the channel does have several problems. It should be noted though, they recently have hired a new top dog to run the channel, he comes from NFL films and who is credited from turning NFL network from a boring/useless channel which only had live programming once a night for 30 minutes and several hours on Sunday if you guys remember the launch of that channel and this dude turned that into what it is today and grew the channel by over 300% of live programming. He is forcing the NHL to build a new studio for on the fly and will increase live shows. I guess he wants to make NHL Network not only a channel that "shows" hockey but also "reports" hockey, like big news and such.

It's not that I don't like the occasional classic game, but it's literally all they show. I would like a show about season predictions or off season recaps once in a while.

Season predictions on September 7th? Even without the changes, they still do in depth predictions shows on NHL Network but those won't start until well into the pre-season. Also, sometime around training camp start time (Sept 20th ish) NHL Live will return (12-2pm show) and obviously all they will talk about each day in September is preview and review.

All networks have their pluses and negatives to them. I love the vintage games on the NHL Network so i'm very happy they air them. But, the channel does have several problems. It should be noted though, they recently have hired a new top dog to run the channel, he comes from NFL films and who is credited from turning NFL network from a boring/useless channel which only had live programming once a night for 30 minutes and several hours on Sunday if you guys remember the launch of that channel and this dude turned that into what it is today and grew the channel by over 300% of live programming. He is forcing the NHL to build a new studio for on the fly and will increase live shows. I guess he wants to make NHL Network not only a channel that "shows" hockey but also "reports" hockey, like big news and such.

That's good stuff. Where did you hear that?

For those NHL network fans, they are now showing live coverage of the Ottawa All-Star game conference. It's NHL network people in Ottawa, not just a re-broadcast of another channel. I think this is the start of whats to come, much more live coverage of big NHL stories.... they will re-play couple times later today for anyone interested.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived