Dont we want Guerin

weehawk

Bill Guerin wont be re-signed by PIT. He's 39 with 21 goals last year. Why aren't we grabbing him?

He played on a line with a top 5 NHL player setting him up. He should have had at least 20 goals. He is a decent player and I would have liked to have him but we already have a grey beard in the line up with Neidermeyer.

I got a whole list of guys I'd happily ship out for nothing.

Doubt anyone would want them, even for free, though.

Sad but true as they say.

I was looking over some other posts earlier and just laughing at possible "D-man pairings" or "line combination." The only names that matter are Miller and Myers. Everyone else can and probably should be replaced.

Sad but true as they say.

I was looking over some other posts earlier and just laughing at possible "D-man pairings" or "line combination." The only names that matter are Miller and Myers. Everyone else can and probably should be replaced.

I still think the 40-goal Thomas Vanek can be salvaged, though not with a coach who's hellbent on him becoming "the best two-way player in the game".

So if Ruff stays, which he of course he will regardless what happens, I'd agree - Might as well ship off Vanek too before he hits Afinogenov value.

I still think the 40-goal Thomas Vanek can be salvaged, though not with a coach who's hellbent on him becoming "the best two-way player in the game".

So if Ruff stays, which he of course he will regardless what happens, I'd agree - Might as well ship off Vanek too before he hits Afinogenov value.

Vanek will be Ruff's biggest mistake. I think Ruff failed in developing the talents of Vanek first, then he should have expanded them. He may have jumped on the two way player thing a bit early.

Vanek will be Ruff's biggest mistake. I think Ruff failed in developing the talents of Vanek first, then he should have expanded them. He may have jumped on the two way player thing a bit early.

Agree - a player like Vanek becomes a 2 way player later in his career when his scoring touch starts to fade.

The flip side of this is that you have players like satan or afinogenoff who occasionally score the highlight reel goal but absolutely dog it on the backcheck every time.They never pick up their checks which is what playing the two way game Is all about and when you think about it they can never score that goal that the team really needs to put them back in it with 5 minutes left. They always score the easy goal which does'nt seem to present itself in the playoffs. Those dry up. So you teach them defensive responsibility in the AHL and when they get to the big club coach does'nt have to stifle their creativity. I'd rather the team developed players in the mold of a Yzerman or burnaby joe in colorado than say a 'pure' goal scorer that doesn't pick up his check and disapears in the playoffs.

The flip side of this is that you have players like satan ... they can never score that goal that the team really needs to put them back in it with 5 minutes left. They always score the easy goal which does'nt seem to present itself in the playoffs. Those dry up.

This point would have held more water last March, not now after he scored 5 goals, 10 point in 13 playoff games this year, including 3 game winners, two against us, one of which was in OT and the other was the series winner. Just sayin' ...

Side note: I think that someone over at Yahoo Sports has a little bit too much free time. Though, I suppose it's possible that he just happened to be the 666th NHL player entered in their database. :unsure:

Side note: I think that someone over at Yahoo Sports has a little bit too much free time. Though, I suppose it's possible that he just happened to be the 666th NHL player entered in their database. :unsure:

It's been like that for years. I think a few different sites did the same exact thing.

Sure carp,you've got a point there. Satan did have a great playoff this past year but I'm not sure thats been the norm throughout his career. He certainly hasn't been known as a consistent playoff performer. I suppose one could blame Ruff for that too.

This guy also thinks we'd be a good fit for Guerin-

Buffalo has been more than quiet this off-season. Aside from signing Jordan Leopold, Shaone Morrisonn and Rob Niedermayer the Sabres haven't gotten much going for them in free agency. The Sabres are putting their hopes on Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek returning to high levels of play as well as hoping for Tyler Ennis to emerge as a scoring threat as well as continued solid play from Derek Roy. Adding a veteran like Guerin to the team would give them more consistent depth on the wing and provide yet another guy that can score. Getting Ryan Miller all the help he can can only turn out to be a great thing for a team that seemed like they would make a run last year only to see the goals dry up in the playoffs.

Link- http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/where-could-bill-guerin-play-next-season.php

This guy also thinks we'd be a good fit for Guerin-

Link- http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/where-could-bill-guerin-play-next-season.php

And as it's been mentioned before in this thread :

Guerin doesn't mind working a little for a living.

Which is probably all we need to know in regards to him coming here.

I mean, can anyone imagine how TC, Roy and Pominville would react if the Sabres signed a veteran forward, who hustles and can score? Clearly, this cannot be allowed to happen.

Vanek had 40 goals in 73 games 2 years ago, his 4th season under Lindy.

I wonder if he were signed by a team in the south if they would boycott the games?

It's hard to understand how someone from Buffalo can take shots at any other region of the country. There are plenty of areas of "the south" that are leaps and bounds ahead of WNY in terms of talent, leadership, economic opportunity, culture and intellectual life. Even the poor areas aren't much if at all worse off than Buffalo, which has become a desperately poor city that is failing by almost every measure.

This point would have held more water last March, not now after he scored 5 goals, 10 point in 13 playoff games this year, including 3 game winners, two against us, one of which was in OT and the other was the series winner. Just sayin' ...

I firmly believe that his success in last season's playoffs was an aberation and belong in the 'blind squirrel - nut' category. (Similar to Paille looking very good against the Sabres.)

He still blew a point blank chance earlier in OT when he did get the OT winner. (If the Sabres could have found even a modicum of offense, Miro would still proudly wear his Ziro moniker.) He also was part of only the 3rd team ever to blow a 3-0 lead (and to top it they blew a 3-0 lead in game 7). Just sayin' ... ;)

Archived