Breaking news!

PASabreFan

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/07/09/1108670/ruff-excited-about-up-and-comers.html

And this gem:

"We've seen in years past, when we get concerned about losing players, that all of a sudden somebody steps in and gets a greater opportunity and does a good job for us," Ruff said.

I feel like that congressman at the state of the union!

YOU LIE!

How stupid does this guy think we are?!

After Drury and Briere left, no one stepped up, including Ruff!

That's the whole story of the past three years of Sabres hockey in a nutshell!

Skill!

Aptitude!

Lying!

PA, Lying is a little much, taking PR out of context... sure. I am sure he likes what he sees from the Dev camp. How that actually fits into the big club seems a little more ambiguous from his statement, but the headline is disingenuous.

That being said, this if of course what the Sabres PR department is going to spout. PR 101, take it with a grain of salt. Your most apt statement is your congressional comment.... I use to work on Capitol Hill and we wrote this kind of drivel all the time. Lies... no, drivel and pr spin yes.

Sad, I agree.

The camp, as usual, had its lighter moments. One included fans in Dwyer Arena playfully chanting at Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier to sign high-priced free agent winger Ilya Kovalchuk.

"I was going to hold out my hand actually for a couple bucks," Regier said with a smile. "The kids are having some fun. It's pretty neat. Camp-wise, it's terrific because you get the young players, you get a lot of young players here, and they're very enthusiastic, both the players and the kids. It's a fun time of the year."

This pissed me off, a lot actually. I doubt it was "playful chanting" to sign Kovalchuk, but more of "get off your a$$ and do something!" And his response? Just wow. Why act like we don't have the money. I'd pay him every last dime of our cap space to play a year here.

This pissed me off, a lot actually. I doubt it was "playful chanting" to sign Kovalchuk, but more of "get off your a$$ and do something!" And his response? Just wow. Why act like we don't have the money. I'd pay him every last dime of our cap space to play a year here.

I think the saddest part about that is Darcy talking about how he was going to hold out his hand for some money from the fans. HAS NO ONE TOLD HIM HOW MUCH CAP SPACE BUFFALO HAS AVAILABLE?????? Its sad to see teams like Philly making bigger moves with no cap space, and the Devils being one of the front runners for Ilya with little cap space, yet Buffalo is saying they don't have the money????

As for the original comment, just more of PA's hatred for Ruff. What do you expect him to say? Everyone on the hockey world or anyone that follows the game no that Regier isn't going to get an equal replacement for any good player he loses. All Ruff is saying is that when they lose a great player, it opens up a spot for someone to step in. He only says they do a good job, not a great job

http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/07/09/1108670/ruff-excited-about-up-and-comers.html

And this gem:

"We've seen in years past, when we get concerned about losing players, that all of a sudden somebody steps in and gets a greater opportunity and does a good job for us," Ruff said.

I feel like that congressman at the state of the union!

YOU LIE!

How stupid does this guy think we are?!

After Drury and Briere left, no one stepped up, including Ruff!

That's the whole story of the past three years of Sabres hockey in a nutshell!

Skill!

Aptitude!

Lying!

Nice to see my sig still holds up.

I think the saddest part about that is Darcy talking about how he was going to hold out his hand for some money from the fans. HAS NO ONE TOLD HIM HOW MUCH CAP SPACE BUFFALO HAS AVAILABLE?????? Its sad to see teams like Philly making bigger moves with no cap space, and the Devils being one of the front runners for Ilya with little cap space, yet Buffalo is saying they don't have the money????

As for the original comment, just more of PA's hatred for Ruff. What do you expect him to say? Everyone on the hockey world or anyone that follows the game no that Regier isn't going to get an equal replacement for any good player he loses. All Ruff is saying is that when they lose a great player, it opens up a spot for someone to step in. He only says they do a good job, not a great job

That, and the fans are already paying more than enough, considered the worthless pile of steaming #### they get in return.

That's kinda what I was getting at :unsure:

According to capgeek.com they're current actual salary is at $51.6. This included Gerbe who will be in the minors. This doesn't include Kennedy, Kaleta, and Weber who will cost roughly $2.5 million which brings them to roughly $54 Million, which is almost exactly what they spent last year. I'm not making an opinion on how much I feel they should spend, cause I wish they would go to the cap too, just stating facts. One of which is that Darcy is given an internal budget that he has to obide by. It's obviously not a smart statement cause these are obviously fans who do give money to the team, but it was portrayed in a joking matter and is a passing statement that is being harped on.

According to capgeek.com they're current actual salary is at $51.6. This included Gerbe who will be in the minors. This doesn't include Kennedy, Kaleta, and Weber who will cost roughly $2.5 million which brings them to roughly $54 Million, which is almost exactly what they spent last year. I'm not making an opinion on how much I feel they should spend, cause I wish they would go to the cap too, just stating facts. One of which is that Darcy is given an internal budget that he has to obide by. It's obviously not a smart statement cause these are obviously fans who do give money to the team, but it was portrayed in a joking matter and is a passing statement that is being harped on.

I think the whole problem is that he doesn't realise how much he's worn our his welcome with the casual fan.

It seems like to him, the loss against Boston was ages ago, and I guess in hockey terms it was. Only I remember it like it was freakin' yesterday, and I'm still pissed at all the passengers on this team, including it's coach and GM.

Personally I'd much prefer Darcy to just STFU, seeing as all he ever does is either make excuses, or pull some company line spin crap.

He must have a terrible sense of humor if he expected that statement to go over well with fans. And sure, they may be nearing the $55 million point in salaries, but NOBODY would complain if he traded Stafford AND Connolly (or anyone else really), even for just a second or third round pick, if it was to bring in Kovalchuk or an equally big name (though nobody else is available). The fact of the matter is Regier has basically admitted time and time again that he is not even interested in Ilya Kovalchuk, and that is just ridiculous in my opinion. All this team needs is offense, yet we don't pursue the most offensive player in the league aside from The Great 8.

Darcy held out his hand for money? Have the Sabres announced the raising of ticket prices yet? I think he's forgetting who blankets this organization with money. If he remembered where the money was coming from maybe he'd stop trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes and actually try to improve this team.

He must have a terrible sense of humor if he expected that statement to go over well with fans. And sure, they may be nearing the $55 million point in salaries, but NOBODY would complain if he traded Stafford AND Connolly (or anyone else really), even for just a second or third round pick, if it was to bring in Kovalchuk or an equally big name (though nobody else is available). The fact of the matter is Regier has basically admitted time and time again that he is not even interested in Ilya Kovalchuk, and that is just ridiculous in my opinion. All this team needs is offense, yet we don't pursue the most offensive player in the league aside from The Great 8.

It was probably a joking statement that he didn't realize would be quoted in an article. But as you stated in your article Kovy isn't likely to come here, so he's to trade Connolly and Stafford and replace with who? I don't ever recall him ever making any public comments on Kovalchuk, care to share a link or story that does? So what are we doing here other than making stuff up?

It was probably a joking statement that he didn't realize would be quoted in an article. But as you stated in your article Kovy isn't likely to come here, so he's to trade Connolly and Stafford and replace with who? I don't ever recall him ever making any public comments on Kovalchuk, care to share a link or story that does? So what are we doing here other than making stuff up?

I don't have links off hand, but Darcy has said they aren't interested in Kovalchuk. Schopp and the Bulldog were all over it on July 1st or 2nd. And you can go over the cap limit by something like 10% in the offseason, so Darcy could hypotehtically sign Kovalchuk and then dump Stafford and Connolly for salary. Or, we could all just be happy with him dumping Stafford and Connolly regardless of whether Kovalchuk signs, even though I myself am a fan of Connolly. :nana:

Are you trying to tell me that the Devils are in a better cap situation then the Sabres right now and can afford him while the Sabres can't? I don't care what the actual numbers are, just the cap hit cause they can work a deal with him to get something to fit the budget. The Sabres the last few years have spent close enough to the cap that the "internal budget" crap is not an excuse. I know theres no chance that Darcy would make an offer that would be enough to want him to come here, but what disgusts me is the fact that he has the balls to act like the only reason is because he can't afford it, as a NHL GM, its his job to come up with the money. He wasn't asking for handouts when he gave Connolly his money, he probably tripped over himself trying to get it to him faster.

The Sabres have the Cap space to make a splash and improve this team, unfortunatly for us ticket buying fans, the GM is too afraid to make a move that might make him look bad and might cause him to have to pick up the phone and give up one of his precious prospects to improve the team now when they have the chance to go deep.

I think the whole problem is that he doesn't realise how much he's worn our his welcome with the casual fan.

It seems like to him, the loss against Boston was ages ago, and I guess in hockey terms it was. Only I remember it like it was freakin' yesterday, and I'm still pissed at all the passengers on this team, including it's coach and GM.

Personally I'd much prefer Darcy to just STFU, seeing as all he ever does is either make excuses, or pull some company line spin crap.

this

You don't think Darcy doesn't want a perennial 40 goal scorer in the blue and gold? Kovalchuk wants 10 million a year for 10 years. As you saw that 6 year 70 million deal fell thru with the devils. So, I mean. Come on. Now trading for Gagne or going after Bobby Ryan i think is something very feasable, and I'd like to see that happen.

Are we taking this whole thing a bit out of context?

How so?

For the second straight offseason, Lindy is trying to convince us he's excited about his team. How did the last time work out?

He's also trying to convince us folks have stepped up and filled the shoes of the likes of Drury, Briere, McKee, Dumont, Campbell and the like.

How so?

For the second straight offseason, Lindy is trying to convince us he's excited about his team. How did the last time work out?

He's also trying to convince us folks have stepped up and filled the shoes of the likes of Drury, Briere, McKee, Dumont, Campbell and the like.

He's right.

Miller stepped up perfectly last season for the gap Hasek left when he walked.

Archived