Breaking news!

PASabreFan

How so?

For the second straight offseason, Lindy is trying to convince us he's excited about his team. How did the last time work out?

He's also trying to convince us folks have stepped up and filled the shoes of the likes of Drury, Briere, McKee, Dumont, Campbell and the like.

And the team he was excited about won the division. I know, it doesn't count in a lot of people's eyes, but they have gotten better every year since the loss of all those players.

How so?

For the second straight offseason, Lindy is trying to convince us he's excited about his team. How did the last time work out?

He's also trying to convince us folks have stepped up and filled the shoes of the likes of Drury, Briere, McKee, Dumont, Campbell and the like.

What do you want him to say to the media and fans: " we're hurting, don't bother watching "? He's a company man; towing the company line as long as he wants to keep his current job. It's his job to cultivate the talent within the organization. Presumably it's his input that drafts a bunch of these guys. I would honestly hope he is excited at the potential.

How so?

They won the division the last time. Then they bombed in the playoffs. Don't even try to characterize last regular season as some sort of failure.

And the team he was excited about won the division. I know, it doesn't count in a lot of people's eyes, but they have gotten better every year since the loss of all those players.

Seriously. I question the sanity of anyone who doesn't see a division title, following two seasons without playoffs, as progress.

How so?

I understand your dislike for how Lindy coaches and even see some of the things you complain about, but to point out a coach saying that he's confident or excited about <fill in the blank current state of the team> is asinine. Is he supposed to say "man, are we screwed; we let everyone go and got nobody but these kids to replace them" or "f**king Darcy screwed me again" or anything else of that nature? If nothing else changes (which isn't guaranteed, but is a possibility), then he has a team that lost a few veteran players and will need some kids to step up, if they are to do well. You always like to point out when he makes negative comments or sets the bar low in interviews, but now you want to put him down for saying that he's excited to see what these kids can do. If they are listening, as you usually contend that they are, then they are hearing that their coach is excited about what they could potentially do. He's building them up; isn't that what you wanted?

I understand your dislike for how Lindy coaches and even see some of the things you complain about, but to point out a coach saying that he's confident or excited about <fill in the blank current state of the team> is asinine. Is he supposed to say "man, are we screwed; we let everyone go and got nobody but these kids to replace them" or "f**king Darcy screwed me again" or anything else of that nature? If nothing else changes (which isn't guaranteed, but is a possibility), then he has a team that lost a few veteran players and will need some kids to step up, if they are to do well. You always like to point out when he makes negative comments or sets the bar low in interviews, but now you want to put him down for saying that he's excited to see what these kids can do. If they are listening, as you usually contend that they are, then they are hearing that their coach is excited about what they could potentially do. He's building them up; isn't that what you wanted?

I think what PASabresFan is saying is that he wants to see a change that HE can get excited about. It's obvious that the coach, et. al., will profess excitement over a new stick boy if that's the only change they make.

I think what PASabresFan is saying is that he wants to see a change that HE can get excited about. It's obvious that the coach, et. al., will profess excitement over a new stick boy if that's the only change they make.

Complaining about the wrong person, then. Lindy may have input, but Darcy is the one who makes the decisions; Darcy is the one of the phones trying to negotiate with other GMs for trades; Darcy is the one who makes contract offers to free agents. Complaining about Lindy saying he's confident or excited about what he's been given is misdirected.

Seriously. I question the sanity of anyone who doesn't see a division title, following two seasons without playoffs, as progress.

Progress is only measured by how close they are to winning a Stanley Cup. They are no closer. Miller has gotten better over that time but proved last year that even at his best he can't carry this team to a Cup.

Progress is only measured by how close they are to winning a Stanley Cup. They are no closer. Miller has gotten better over that time but proved last year that even at his best he can't carry this team to a Cup.

Indeed, if anything the recent past has shown that you don't need a supreme goaltender to win the Cup. That's why I'd say, trade Miller now. Pick up Turco until Enroth is ready. I'd settle for Boyle and Pavelski for Miller.

After winning the President's Trophy and being favorites to win the Stanley Cup, the Buffalo Sabres have won 2 playoff games in the past 1130 days.

Some call that progress

I call it treason

They won the division the last time. Then they bombed in the playoffs. Don't even try to characterize last regular season as some sort of failure.

I'd say the second half made the season, despite the hollow division title, a semi-failure, for sure. At midseason -- past midseason, actually -- the Sabres were very near the top of the league standings and their goalie was having damn near a Hart Trophy season. You seriously weren't expecting something more than 44 points in the last 41 games and a first-round ouster? I know you keep your expectations low, and rail on anyone who wants more out of this franchise, but come on. You must be the one who's nuts.

It's more the "step up" comment than the "excited" comment that upsets. The "step up" comment followed by Darcy's "handout" comment just reinforce my idea that these guys consider the fans to be idiots. But the "excited" comment is bad, too. As I've said, I don't think Lindy's genuinely been excited about anything Sabre since the late 90s. His candle burned out long before his legend ever will.

I'd say the second half made the season, despite the hollow division title, a semi-failure, for sure. At midseason -- past midseason, actually -- the Sabres were very near the top of the league standings and their goalie was having damn near a Hart Trophy season. You seriously weren't expecting something more than 44 points in the last 41 games and a first-round ouster? I know you keep your expectations low, and rail on anyone who wants more out of this franchise, but come on. You must be the one who's nuts.

I was expecting more than 44 points in the second half. I also was expecting a first-round ouster as soon as the Sabres' opponent became known. But the issue I raised is whether there was progress. You didn't see any?

I was expecting more than 44 points in the second half. I also was expecting a first-round ouster as soon as the Sabres' opponent became known. But the issue I raised is whether there was progress. You didn't see any?

I thought the issue you raised was whether the regular season was some kind of failure. I think it was. Progress? No, not really. The Sabres team that showed up when it counted was indistinguishable from the teams that missed the playoffs the previous two years. If there was progress, someone's going to have to inform the fan base.

I think the whole problem is that he doesn't realise how much he's worn our his welcome with the casual fan.

It seems like to him, the loss against Boston was ages ago, and I guess in hockey terms it was. Only I remember it like it was freakin' yesterday, and I'm still pissed at all the passengers on this team, including it's coach and GM.

Personally I'd much prefer Darcy to just STFU, seeing as all he ever does is either make excuses, or pull some company line spin crap.

Agreed.

Actually I think Ruff is a good coach, but Reiger, as you say, has outstayed his welcome. I think his more businessman than hockey fan and that stops him from making the moves to help his team rather than help the front office.

Progress is only measured by how close they are to winning a Stanley Cup. They are no closer.

Huh? I agree with how you measure progress, and nobody likes the playoff implosion, but when you don't make the playoffs the previous two years and then you do by winning your division, that's progress by your accurate definition. Does far more need to be done? We all agree, yes.

I thought the issue you raised was whether the regular season was some kind of failure. I think it was. Progress? No, not really.

Let's see...not making the playoffs for two years, then finishing with 100 points and winning your division, isn't progress and is a regular season failure? That's ridiculous. The hyperbole around here is amazing. I'm not defending the Sabres and their maneuvers--or lack thereof--at the end of last year or this off-season, and they did flop big-time in the playoffs, but regardless of how disgusted folks may be, and rightfully so for several reasons, last regular season wasn't a failure. In fact, if we had taken some steps to recognize our playoff shortcomings and at least try to address them, I'd consider last regular season to be a resounding success in light of those moves. But that didn't happen.

The big problem with last year and winning the division is that it, IMO, gives the DR another solid excuse to do nothing. "Hey, we won our division, so other teams are chasing us. We don't need to change a thing." Okay Darcy, but last year was a down year in the division, Montreal and Boston, both of whom outdid us in the playoffs, should be much better this year, all the other teams in the division addressed needs and tried to get better, other teams in the conference made great moves to improve themselves, especially teams that all outperformed us in the playoffs, and one of the major problems all of last year was inconsistent scoring, which hasn't been addressed. And don't even get me started on the PP issues we STILL haven't addressed, at least to my knowledge, either via players or coaching changes. So to date, nothing has been done to improve on the successful regular season, which is the biggest disappointment.

Huh? I agree with how you measure progress, and nobody likes the playoff implosion, but when you don't make the playoffs the previous two years and then you do by winning your division, that's progress by your accurate definition. Does far more need to be done? We all agree, yes.

Let's see...not making the playoffs for two years, then finishing with 100 points and winning your division, isn't progress and is a regular season failure? That's ridiculous. The hyperbole around here is amazing. I'm not defending the Sabres and their maneuvers--or lack thereof--at the end of last year or this off-season, and they did flop big-time in the playoffs, but regardless of how disgusted folks may be, and rightfully so for several reasons, last regular season wasn't a failure. In fact, if we had taken some steps to recognize our playoff shortcomings and at least try to address them, I'd consider last regular season to be a resounding success in light of those moves. But that didn't happen.

The big problem with last year and winning the division is that it, IMO, gives the DR another solid excuse to do nothing. "Hey, we won our division, so other teams are chasing us. We don't need to change a thing." Okay Darcy, but last year was a down year in the division, Montreal and Boston, both of whom outdid us in the playoffs, should be much better this year, all the other teams in the division addressed needs and tried to get better, other teams in the conference made great moves to improve themselves, especially teams that all outperformed us in the playoffs, and one of the major problems all of last year was inconsistent scoring, which hasn't been addressed. And don't even get me started on the PP issues we STILL haven't addressed, at least to my knowledge, either via players or coaching changes. So to date, nothing has been done to improve on the successful regular season, which is the biggest disappointment.

You seem to be trying awfully hard to agree with me. The phrase was "some kind of failure." The second half was a pretty epic fail, IMHO.

You don't think Darcy doesn't want a perennial 40 goal scorer in the blue and gold? Kovalchuk wants 10 million a year for 10 years. As you saw that 6 year 70 million deal fell thru with the devils. So, I mean. Come on. Now trading for Gagne or going after Bobby Ryan i think is something very feasable, and I'd like to see that happen.

Just based on what I've read from the other posters, I think (could be wrong) we're all on the same page. While it may be technically possible to make the right moves to land a Kovalchuk, it's not terribly realistic, but I think what we're all saying is that our GM just makes jokes about the prospect of improving the team without actually doing anything to do so. No, landing Kovalchuk was never going to happen, but like you said, there are other, far more realistic things our front office could try. But we just don't seem to see any sign of anything even remotely aggressive from the DR, which is par for the course. I guess four out of five Adams Division teams addressing their needs is plenty. There is a quota, right?

You seem to be trying awfully hard to agree with me. The phrase was "some kind of failure." The second half was a pretty epic fail, IMHO.

EPIC fail? That's pretty funny. No, the second half wasn't nearly as good as the first half, but they won the division and were 3rd in seeding, 4th in points, in the conference. You haven't failed in epic fashion, even in the second half, if you win your division. Even if you just barely make the playoffs you haven't failed. I think the Cup-contending Flyers, who made the playoffs by a shootout point, would laugh almost as hard at the absurdity of the exaggeration here.

It's not progress. The plan for the past three years was to just sit back and see how far Miller can carry this team. It is unfortunately the same plan going into this season. That's not progress. It's a plan that has been proven not to work. They are no more a Cup contender than they have been. They have done nothing to address the forwards over the past three years and the defense is a Tyler Myers away from being the worst defense in the East if not the NHL.

It's not progress.

You said progress is measured by how close you get to the Cup, or how much closer you've gotten, and I agree. By your definition, not making the playoffs and then the next year winning your division is progress. Sorry. You're saying it's NOT progress because you don't like what they've done to get to this point and you see them regressing this year. All that may be true and I may even agree with it, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they made progress this past regular season.

It's not the progression you seem to want, and certainly they've done nothing personnel-wise to try to capitalize on whatever gains they made this past year, but there's just no arguing that they made gains--100 points weren't handed to them. The playoff crash exposed their weaknesses, but that should've provided a beautiful opportunity to address those weaknesses while consolidating and complimenting the positives (Miller, Myers, the regular season PK, the regular season 3rd period defense, etc.).

You said progress is measured by how close you get to the Cup, or how much closer you've gotten, and I agree. By your definition, not making the playoffs and then the next year winning your division is progress. Sorry. You're saying it's NOT progress because you don't like what they've done to get to this point and you see them regressing this year. All that may be true and I may even agree with it, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they made progress this past regular season.

It's not the progression you seem to want, and certainly they've done nothing personnel-wise to try to capitalize on whatever gains they made this past year, but there's just no arguing that they made gains--100 points weren't handed to them. The playoff crash exposed their weaknesses, but that should've provided a beautiful opportunity to address those weaknesses while consolidating and complimenting the positives (Miller, Myers, the regular season PK, the regular season 3rd period defense, etc.).

I'd argue that the last 35 games of the season exposed their weaknesses, and the playoffs were just a continuation of that.

You don't think Darcy doesn't want a perennial 40 goal scorer in the blue and gold? Kovalchuk wants 10 million a year for 10 years. As you saw that 6 year 70 million deal fell thru with the devils. So, I mean. Come on. Now trading for Gagne or going after Bobby Ryan i think is something very feasable, and I'd like to see that happen.

I'm sure he would love a 40 goal scorer, if it was from a guy currently on the roster

The point is he is complaining about money, when the Sabres actually have a pretty decent cap space available. Gagne and Ryan could be feasible for most teams, but Darcy won't make the move, its not in his comfort level to go after guys like that, he wants to find cheap "diamonds in the ruff" ;) that will make him look like a genius for picking up

I'd argue that the last 35 games of the season exposed their weaknesses, and the playoffs were just a continuation of that.

You can keep beating that drum about breaking the season into parts. Where do they keep those revised standings in the Hall of Fame showing which teams did better in a certain segment of the season?

Archived