Tallinder and Lydman Gone

Dave Dryden

Paul Hamilton said he thinks they plan on replacing Lydman and Tallinder with Weber and Gragnani. In 2 years the entire Sabres roster will be AHL caliber players. :wallbash:

I really hope they don't go into the season with these guys (weber an gagnani)and the rest of the team we had last year. We need at least 1 top defencemen through a trade or FA. This just sucks...

Paul Hamilton said he thinks they plan on replacing Lydman and Tallinder with Weber and Gragnani. In 2 years the entire Sabres roster will be AHL caliber players. :wallbash:

Sabres will mss the playoffs with this attitude...no Free Agents (1st 2 lines caliber or top 4 defensemen), and no trades (Tim Connolly - and frankly if I spelled his name wrong, don't care!)..

per BN: Tallinder on leaving:

"It’s mixed feelings," he said. "It’s a great feeling to get a contract, and I’m happy to be joining the Devils. At the same time, it’s kind of sad, you know? It’s been eight years in Buffalo – eight great years in Buffalo – and it’s kind of sad to leave that behind me now.

"I talked to my agent for the first time today, and my agent had talked to Darcy a couple days ago, I think, but it wasn’t really a fair kind of a proposal to me, so I kind of knew then they weren’t ready to pay the amount of money that maybe other clubs would do. ... I think my agent also called and asked if they were interested in matching, but they weren’t ready to pay that amount."

per BN: Tallinder on leaving:

"It’s mixed feelings," he said. "It’s a great feeling to get a contract, and I’m happy to be joining the Devils. At the same time, it’s kind of sad, you know? It’s been eight years in Buffalo – eight great years in Buffalo – and it’s kind of sad to leave that behind me now.

"I talked to my agent for the first time today, and my agent had talked to Darcy a couple days ago, I think, but it wasn’t really a fair kind of a proposal to me, so I kind of knew then they weren’t ready to pay the amount of money that maybe other clubs would do. ... I think my agent also called and asked if they were interested in matching, but they weren’t ready to pay that amount."

At least Tallinder was honest. He gave the Sabres a shot to match the offer. There just better be a plan in place to replace him.

Didn't Hank suck from the time he signed his last contract up until his contract year? Seriously, have you people forgotten that before his contract year we all would have traded him for a 7th round pick just to get rid of him? He finally decides to play because it's contract time and now you people want to go through it again? Really??

How many of you people wanted Toni given away over the last two years? The vast majority? Now we're bitching because he went to Jersey for 3M per? Really??

I'm glad Weber is coming up next year, I have high expectations for him. And I think at the end of the year Leopold will have out performed both Hank and Toni.

Didn't Hank suck from the time he signed his last contract up until his contract year? Seriously, have you people forgotten that before his contract year we all would have traded him for a 7th round pick just to get rid of him? He finally decides to play because it's contract time and now you people want to go through it again? Really??

How many of you people wanted Toni given away over the last two years? The vast majority? Now we're bitching because he went to Jersey for 3M per? Really??

I'm glad Weber is coming up next year, I have high expectations for him. And I think at the end of the year Leopold will have out performed both Hank and Toni.

There we go. All this carrying on about Tallinder and Lydman is ridiculous. If Weber, Gragnani OR Butler is ready for prime time next year, the Sabres' D will be better than it was last year.

Now, if anyone wants to criticize DR for not bringing in a good forward -- fine with me. I'm right there with you. But let's not pretend the Sabres just lost a defenseman who's as good as the guys NJ, Pittsburgh and Ottawa just lost.

Hank complaining about Hank. I love it. Anyway, I really have no problem with letting him go, but I can see where people aren't too happy about it. No matter what some people may think, Tallinder had to have played some role in the success of that pairing with Myers. I would have like to see if those two could have continued to grow as our top pairing (specifically Myers), but he wasn't a must-keep type guy.

The guy commonly regarded as the best GM in the game just picked Hank up. That has to mean there are a lot of positives to Tallinder's game right now.

I'm kind of sorry to see both go. Hank had a good year and redeemed himself in his mentoring of the young lad. Lydman was our shot blocking d-man,solid and he signed for less elsewhere. They'll both have to be replaced. As far as I'm concerned we now have more holes for Regier to fill. I have no faith this team improves.

There we go. All this carrying on about Tallinder and Lydman is ridiculous. If Weber, Gragnani OR Butler is ready for prime time next year, the Sabres' D will be better than it was last year.

Now, if anyone wants to criticize DR for not bringing in a good forward -- fine with me. I'm right there with you. But let's not pretend the Sabres just lost a defenseman who's as good as the guys NJ, Pittsburgh and Ottawa just lost.

+1 and THEN some. The Devils are out of their MINDS. And Forward is a MASSIVE hole on the Sabres. THAT is what should be talked about...

+1 and THEN some. The Devils are out of their MINDS. And Forward is a MASSIVE hole on the Sabres. THAT is what should be talked about...

And the real valued players out there will come into attention when the league's focus shifts to the RFAs. It might not be Buffalo involved, but trades will be made involving some of those guys.

Mckee!

Our defense is made up of Rookies (or near enough), Journeymen and an aging Rivet. This is a piss poor fantasy team, let alone actually professional hockey team.

Myers is the defensemen everyone will go for, he'll have a much worse year and we won't make the playoffs at this rate. But no GM in his right mind would leave a team like this, so I'm jumping on the 'to early to worry' bandwagon.

Mckee!

Our defense is made up of Rookies (or near enough), Journeymen and an aging Rivet. This is a piss poor fantasy team, let alone actually professional hockey team.

Myers is the defensemen everyone will go for, he'll have a much worse year and we won't make the playoffs at this rate. But no GM in his right mind would leave a team like this, so I'm jumping on the 'to early to worry' bandwagon.

I see your point, to a degree, but if the belief is that D is the Sabres "issue", and not the top-two forward lines, than call me a non-believer. My personal feeling (I know some of you won't agree) is that the Sabres "system" allows for younger D-man to plug holes without getting noticed as much, especially with Ryan Miller, but the lack of any semblance of an offensive attack in 2 out of 3 games will KILL YOU. Ask the Seattle Mariners how well it's going with two Cy Young candidates in their pitching rotation... and no offense.

But no GM in his right mind would leave a team like this...

Huh? Have you looked at other teams D? How many can say they have one of the top 10 defenseman in the league, 3 vets with years of serviceable NHL duty and 3 up and coming prospects who all have NHL experience?

Huh? Have you looked at other teams D? How many can say they have one of the top 10 defenseman in the league, 3 vets with years of serviceable NHL duty and 3 up and coming prospects who all have NHL experience?

And 2 of the top 20 Centers in the league.

And 2 of the top 20 Centers in the league.

This is true. Not many teams have 2 on the same team, Pens and Vancouver come to mind.

It's one thing for a GM to have a bunch of money to spend on big time players and quite another to actually manage a team.

I see your point, to a degree, but if the belief is that D is the Sabres "issue", and not the top-two forward lines, than call me a non-believer. My personal feeling (I know some of you won't agree) is that the Sabres "system" allows for younger D-man to plug holes without getting noticed as much, especially with Ryan Miller, but the lack of any semblance of an offensive attack in 2 out of 3 games will KILL YOU. Ask the Seattle Mariners how well it's going with two Cy Young candidates in their pitching rotation... and no offense.

Oh dont get me wrong, I think we can make do if we had some sort of attack, or even just a no.1 center for Vanek (who needs to play like his worth $7.5 mill or whatever his on), but I was ignoring that particular rant for another day lol. I do totally agree though.

I also want to add I'm not that bothered by Tall and Lydman going, I'm willing to be quoted in saying they will not perform as well next year. Guaranteed.

Devils Advocate: Or 1 top 1 defensemen on only his 2nd year in the NHL (sophmore slump?) 2 journeymen, 1 aging defensemen and 3 prospects.

Maybe your right, but I dont have confidence in this team yet. But really it is still early days.

Archived