July 1st, 2010

deluca67

I know, I know nothing is going to happen in regards to the Sabres. Just trying to create some conversation to distract from yet another disappointing start to a off-season.

We just had a earthquake here in Buffalo so maybe the unexpected can happen with the Sabres. :wallbash:

Looking over the UFA lists a few names pop out. Volchenkov and Sutton on the blue line and Frolov on the wing. Not much quality in UFA centers this off-season. A couple of marginal guys, no must haves. This year is a decent year for defensemen if the Sabres do let T & L walk, shouldn't be hard to replace.

if the Sabres do let T & L walk, shouldn't be hard to replace.

A quote from Darcy:

So, we'll keep working on it, but I have a feeling that one or both [Tallinder and Lydman] may go to the line. We'd certainly like to get at least one of them back."

Link

I know, I know nothing is going to happen in regards to the Sabres. Just trying to create some conversation to distract from yet another disappointing start to an off-season.

We just had an earthquake here in Buffalo so maybe the unexpected can happen with the Sabres. :wallbash:

If you can fix that by July 1st then that would be enough for me. :lol:

I know, I know nothing is going to happen in regards to the Sabres. Just trying to create some conversation to distract from yet another disappointing start to a off-season.

We just had a earthquake here in Buffalo so maybe the unexpected can happen with the Sabres. :wallbash:

Looking over the UFA lists a few names pop out. Volchenkov and Sutton on the blue line and Frolov on the wing. Not much quality in UFA centers this off-season. A couple of marginal guys, no must haves. This year is a decent year for defensemen if the Sabres do let T & L walk, shouldn't be hard to replace.

I know its hard to believe they will make a deal, but you do realize that despite all the rumors how little has actually happened league wide this year, don't you?

With no players moving off of the roster my guess is that they have roughly 5 Mil to spend. I don't see them resigning Tallinder and Lydman before free agency starts. Unless neither of them command the type of number they think they are on the open market and come limping back. I honestly could see them sticking with the youth they have on D, maybe signing a minor level vet in the Montador realm as a 7th or insurance in case someone (Butler, Sekera, Weber) doesn't pan out. Leopold perhaps, could help on the PP and could come at less than $2 Million leaving them roughly $3 Mil for a center - maybe Cullen? Seems like a perfect fit for leadership, faceoffs and grit who can pitch in 20 goals.

I understand why Darcy has been so stale this off season. He is saving up for a big July 1st surprise...

He's getting Kovalchuk!!!!

No way. Don't you know that a fifty goal scorer just has no place on this team?

I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

Boston's strong move to improve (plus their beating us in the playoffs) has to make an impression on the Sabres' staff. Their commitment at the beginning of this season was to improve & make the playoffs. They did that - and more by winning the division.

Now they have to build on that, meaning go past the first round. With the activity in Boston they can't just sit on their hands and promise to be better through maturation of their players. Moves must be made or they will lose the faith of the average fan (you and I are not "average fans", we're a bit more fanatical than that). And that translates into $, which is Golisano's language.

Therefore they will be pressed to make changes and declare them to be improvements. Let's hope they actually are.

With no players moving off of the roster my guess is that they have roughly 5 Mil to spend. I don't see them resigning Tallinder and Lydman before free agency starts. Unless neither of them command the type of number they think they are on the open market and come limping back. I honestly could see them sticking with the youth they have on D, maybe signing a minor level vet in the Montador realm as a 7th or insurance in case someone (Butler, Sekera, Weber) doesn't pan out. Leopold perhaps, could help on the PP and could come at less than $2 Million leaving them roughly $3 Mil for a center - Cullen perhaps? Seems like a perfect fit for leadership, faceoffs and grit who can pitch in 20 goals.

They are currently $15 mil under the cap. Plenty to spend, let's hope they do it wisely.

I know its hard to believe they will make a deal, but you do realize that despite all the rumors how little has actually happened league wide this year, don't you?

Then maybe you should start a thread about league wide movement. My focus at this point is on the Buffalo Sabres, their needs and their general manager. I don't see a correlation between the unfulfilled rumors and the Sabres lack of movement. Regier's job is to make this team good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Excusing the lack of movement by the Sabres by comparing it to the overall activity in the league seems like just another excuse. Sounds like when Regier explained away not getting involved in the Kovi sweepstakes by saying he was one of eight teams that didn't get Kovi. Burke wanted Kessel and got a trade done. He wanted Phaneuf and he got it done. Boston wanted Horton and got it done. Bowman needed to open cap space in Chicago and got it done. There are GM's in this league getting the job done. There is a job to do here in Buffalo, it would be nice to see Regier get it done for a change.

They are currently $15 mil under the cap. Plenty to spend, let's hope they do it wisely.

That number, I assume from nhlnumber.com, doesn't include their qualifying offers to Kaleta, Kennedy, Weber; and them having Ennis, Gerbe, and Enroth (or signing a backup goalie) called up; or the resigning of Mair or Ellis which is almost assured as Lindy has an inexplicable hard on for both. Probably a total of like $6 Million or so. Plus their internal budget which is likely $2 or $3 Million under the cap.

I predict they won't spend all of it, maybe half.

As hard as I am on Sabres management I have to say they do spend money. If they have $15 mil they will spend most of it and leave some in case of injuries so they don't get caught like Calgary did a couple of years ago when they couldn't dress a full roster.

That and the Buffalo Public School system doomed my ability to use proper spelling and grammar. Spell check is my best friend. I can make a really nice pizza though.

Great. Now I'm craving good Buffalo pizza. Jersey sucks.

A quote from Darcy:

Link

Busted link?

No way. Don't you know that a fifty goal scorer just has no place on this team?

Vanek might get 50 this year. Probably not, but he's capable.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating.

Boston's strong move to improve (plus their beating us in the playoffs) has to make an impression on the Sabres' staff. Their commitment at the beginning of this season was to improve & make the playoffs. They did that - and more by winning the division.

Now they have to build on that, meaning go past the first round. With the activity in Boston they can't just sit on their hands and promise to be better through maturation of their players. Moves must be made or they will lose the faith of the average fan (you and I are not "average fans", we're a bit more fanatical than that). And that translates into $, which is Golisano's language.

Therefore they will be pressed to make changes and declare them to be improvements. Let's hope they actually are.

I don't think DR makes personnel decisions to sell tickets, but I do think he will make at least one respectable move this summer.

I predict they won't spend all of it, maybe half.

As hard as I am on Sabres management I have to say they do spend money. If they have $15 mil they will spend most of it and leave some in case of injuries so they don't get caught like Calgary did a couple of years ago when they couldn't dress a full roster.

beat me to it.

As much as I have been bashing Darcy lately, the fact that he hasn't even signed his RFAs seems to imply that he's actually working on a deal for a new player. At least, that's how my personal logic sees things.

He's extended qualifying offers to all but two, Generous and Kostka. That's about as far as he can take it for now until he knows if they are going to accept the qualifier or not.

I agree we need to bring in a lower paid Monty type defensemen. Say bye-bye to Tally and Lyd. Say hello to Weber. Take that extra cash and invest in the end of Ray Whitney's career, 2-3 years for 3.5mil per should do it. A veteran winger who can still play and put up points, brings leadership and memories of winning a cup. Trade Stafford for a high draft pick and I like the guy but his demeanor toward the end of the year just uggh. If a guy isn't scoring, cant get his game going, I dont want a guy that just goes "Yeah, i got nothing". I want a guy that goes "Well...Im gonna go out there and find other ways to help my team win".

IDK, maybe we just put to much pressure on these guys. It's just hockey. I want a cup more then anything but I also understand the dynamics needed for a team to be successful. It's the same thing the United States Military has done such a good job of implementing over the course of our history...you make guys bond together and they'll naturally fight for each other and nothing else. That's the key to winning. If we got egos in the locker room that bring the team down well then....

All I keep hearing it that guy is Roy.

He's extended qualifying offers to all but two, Generous and Kostka. That's about as far as he can take it for now until he knows if they are going to accept the qualifier or not.

Oh I didn't hear about those, woops. OK, back to Darcy bashing for me, then! See how easy that was? :P

Archived