July 1st, 2010

deluca67

Take that extra cash and invest in the end of Ray Whitney's career, 2-3 years for 3.5mil per should do it.

That's basically the contract that he got when he was 35; he's 38 now. I might give him a $3.5, $2.5, $1 million contract or something like that. Remember, at his age, his cap hit counts even if he hits a wall and retires.

That's basically the contract that he got when he was 35; he's 38 now. I might give him a $3.5, $2.5, $1 million contract or something like that. Remember, at his age, his cap hit counts even if he hits a wall and retires.

If he hits a wall and underperforms his cap hit still counts. If he retires his cap hit is gone. That is why the Pronger contract is so ridiculous.

Then maybe you should start a thread about league wide movement. My focus at this point is on the Buffalo Sabres, their needs and their general manager. I don't see a correlation between the unfulfilled rumors and the Sabres lack of movement. Regier's job is to make this team good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Excusing the lack of movement by the Sabres by comparing it to the overall activity in the league seems like just another excuse. Sounds like when Regier explained away not getting involved in the Kovi sweepstakes by saying he was one of eight teams that didn't get Kovi. Burke wanted Kessel and got a trade done. He wanted Phaneuf and he got it done. Boston wanted Horton and got it done. Bowman needed to open cap space in Chicago and got it done. There are GM's in this league getting the job done. There is a job to do here in Buffalo, it would be nice to see Regier get it done for a change.

F'N A!

I'm not one of those lets get a guy to get a guy guys. But I am tired of this stale assed front office. Shake up the the top six. :death:

Then maybe you should start a thread about league wide movement. My focus at this point is on the Buffalo Sabres, their needs and their general manager. I don't see a correlation between the unfulfilled rumors and the Sabres lack of movement. Regier's job is to make this team good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Excusing the lack of movement by the Sabres by comparing it to the overall activity in the league seems like just another excuse. Sounds like when Regier explained away not getting involved in the Kovi sweepstakes by saying he was one of eight teams that didn't get Kovi. Burke wanted Kessel and got a trade done. He wanted Phaneuf and he got it done. Boston wanted Horton and got it done. Bowman needed to open cap space in Chicago and got it done. There are GM's in this league getting the job done. There is a job to do here in Buffalo, it would be nice to see Regier get it done for a change.

There are about five threads discussing their needs and you ranting and all this hysteria about nothing being done is a little over blown. You said yourself, they spend close to the cap so they will have to add somebody.

I'm sure you won't be happy with the results but guaranteed that the top 6 will have 2 new players (one being Ennis) and they will replace Hank with a top 4 pairing defenseman. Hopefully it will be a top pairing guy.

Not if the player is over the age of 35 when he signs the contract. Under such cases, the cap hit counts regardless of whether the player retires. Thus, the "at his age" above.

Interesting, thank you for that, I was unaware of that rule. Do you know what the motivation behind it is? Seems like it would prohibit any player 35 or older from getting any contract over 1 yr.

Interesting, thank you for that, I was unaware of that rule. Do you know what the motivation behind it is? Seems like it would prohibit any player 35 or older from getting any contract over 1 yr.

The cap hit of a contract is the average salary over the life of the contract. This rule prevents teams from giving an older guy a very heavily front loaded contract where they would retire long before seeing the end of the deal. Take this example: Old Guy X is 36 and the Rangers hand him a 5 year contract where he gets $7 million in the first year, $5 million the next, then $1 million the last 3 years. The cap hit for that deal is $3 million, but if he retires after 2 years, he actually made on average $6 million per year. The team can still make that deal, but now they're penalized for it, having 3 years with $3 million worth of dead cap space.

The cap hit of a contract is the average salary over the life of the contract. This rule prevents teams from giving an older guy a very heavily front loaded contract where they would retire long before seeing the end of the deal. Take this example: Old Guy X is 36 and the Rangers hand him a 5 year contract where he gets $7 million in the first year, $5 million the next, then $1 million the last 3 years. The cap hit for that deal is $3 million, but if he retires after 2 years, he actually made on average $6 million per year. The team can still make that deal, but now they're penalized for it, having 3 years with $3 million worth of dead cap space.

And teams have combated that rule by giving 34 year olds 7 year contracts. haha.

And teams have combated that rule by giving 34 year olds 7 year contracts. haha.

Only to find out that the contract doesn't take effect until the guy is 35, so the rules of a 35+ year old contract still apply. Philly is going to be stung hard when Pronger decides to hang them up.

Only to find out that the contract doesn't take effect until the guy is 35, so the rules of a 35+ year old contract still apply. Philly is going to be stung hard when Pronger decides to hang them up.

You are right but Pronger gives the impression that he's not going away anytime soon.

Just a small caveat to this. The date is June 30th. A player would need to be 35 by June 30th to sign a 35 or older performance bonuses based contact.

per CBA:

All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing, except to the extent the Player is playing under his SPC in the minor leagues, in which case only the Player Salary and Bonuses in excess of $100,000 shall count towards the calculation of Actual Club Salary.

For example, Pronger. He was only 34 we he made the deal for an "extension" with the Flyers starting in 2010-11. This is a 35+ contract because he turned 35 in October of 2009, making him, obviously, 35 on June 30th of the year the new contract kicks in.

For example, Nabokov. His birthday is July 25, 1975, meaning he's only 34 on June 30th. He would not be in line for a 35+ contract because of this.

Archived