[OT] White knuckle driver looking for the best route

LabattBlue

I am heading to Myrtle Beach later this summer(from Buffalo) and dread driving through the Pennsylvania mountains. Anybody have any suggestions for the best route considering my anxiety?

Thanks!

As a mountian boy from PA I'd recommend 219 to 80.

I am heading to Myrtle Beach later this summer(from Buffalo) and dread driving through the Pennsylvania mountains. Anybody have any suggestions for the best route considering my anxiety?

Thanks!

Labatt,

Would you consider driving through Pittsburgh Down 79 and 77 into Charlotte/Columbia SC then go East a short way? I live in Columbia SC and make that trip all the time. I think you'd be avoiding some PA mountains you allude to then you're dealing with some mountains in W Va. and Va. Very scenic anyway.

Tell me what you think, as I'm curious.

Labatt,

Would you consider driving through Pittsburgh Down 79 and 77 into Charlotte/Columbia SC then go East a short way? I live in Columbia SC and make that trip all the time. I think you'd be avoiding some PA mountains you allude to then you're dealing with some mountains in W Va. and Va. Very scenic anyway.

Tell me what you think, as I'm curious.

Never been that way. I have heard the mountains of WVA taking the route you mentioned are worst than PA.

Don't you have more rumors to be found on a street somewhere? :nana:

Sorry can't help u right now. I have to change the batteries in the red light and goal horn attached to my bed's headboard. Seems I need 2 do this way more often than I should.

I realize I'm adding 1-1/2 to 2 hours to my trip, but is the driving any easier(the pennsylvania part of the drive) if I went 90-390-17-81-83-95

Mountain wise, I think 81 is worse than 79/77. Plus 95 is awful. I'd would rather deal with a 1500 foot drop to one side of the road than 5 lanes of idiots on cell phones any day.

Thanks!

Take 90 east to Batavia, get off take a left at the light, left on Main Street and first right, then stay straight and follow the signs for 63 South all the way through Geneseo till you hit 390 South, get off on rte 15 at Painted Post right before corning NY.

The Best Route is still Rte. 15 through PA mountains and it has gotten a lot better, 4 lanes. Take it down to Harrisburg and then you have a choice... go 15 to 81 South or just North of Harrisburg take 322 South to 81 North for a mile and then take 83 South to the Baltimore Beltway Rte 695. Your choices from their on how best to go south, but I like 295 the Baltimore Washington Parkway and let that run you all the way south till it runs into Rte 95 just before the Wilson Bridge. Good Luck.

The Best Route is still Rte. 15 through PA mountains and it has gotten a lot better, 4 lanes. Take it down to Harrisburg and then you have a choice... go 15 to 81 South or just North of Harrisburg take 322 South to 81 North for a mile and then take 83 South to the Baltimore Beltway Rte 695. Your choices from their on how best to go south, but I like 295 the Baltimore Washington Parkway and let that run you all the way south till it runs into Rte 95 just before the Wilson Bridge. Good Luck.

I travel down to the DC area quite a bit and the best route I've found is 390-15-270. I think you can hop on 95 from there to SC but that way has done me well for nearly 20 years.

One update to that is to take US22/322 for the last 15 miles before Harrisburg. It gets you to I-81 (and I-83) without all the traffic lights on 15. Oh, and take I-180 around Williamsport down to i-80 and cross back over to US15. Skips a some more lights that way. That more or less the way I take from Philly-Buffalo when I come home.

But, we don't know what kind of 'white-knuckle' you are. Do you prefer back roads to highway? Traffic to mountains? Night driving or day (traffic)?

Personally, I would avoid DC and Baltimore if at all possible. Baltimore isn't as bad, but you WILL find traffic in DC unless you catch the exact right time. I-83 in Harrisburg backs up often too. Google Maps' traffic history is your friend. Rt15 to I-270 is a nice route to DC. If you don't like highways, You could take US219 a ways south, but that's hilly and twisty. Similarly, Skyline Parkway (from Front Royal, VA) connects with Blue Ridge Parkway going south, and is a lovely drive, but it's all 2-lane and hills.

Archived