Buyout period begins 15th

spndnchz

If you are talking about the Sabres, no they are on record as saying they won't use that tool. As for the rest of the league, I don't know.

Yeah, I remember that too. I meant other teams, Moreau on Oilers I think I heard/read.

I've heard Cheechoo and Laraque will be bought out. I've also heard Huet, but that would be a big buyout and they likely have the internal budget to just stick him in the minors.

Of course, as TW points out, this only applies to the Sabres in that a few more players will be available in the discount bin.

I've heard Cheechoo and Laraque will be bought out. I've also heard Huet, but that would be a big buyout and they likely have the internal budget to just stick him in the minors.

Of course, as TW points out, this only applies to the Sabres in that a few more players will be available in the discount bin.

What ever happened to Cheechoo? Last time I actually saw him play he was still a Shark. Did he really fall off the wagon as Ottawa fans say he has?

What ever happened to Cheechoo? Last time I actually saw him play he was still a Shark. Did he really fall off the wagon as Ottawa fans say he has?

He fell off the wagon long before he got to Ottawa. San Jose couldn't give him away before they coerced Ottawa into taking him.

I don't pay too much attention to the behind the scenes stuff in Ottawa. Are you saying that Ottawa fans talk about drinking issues with him?

I don't pay too much attention to the behind the scenes stuff in Ottawa. Are you saying that Ottawa fans talk about drinking issues with him?

Nah, I was referring to his hockey talents. Some of the Ottawa fans I have met stated he lost his confidence and others say it was playing in San Jose that pumped his numbers up, but that Cheechoo himself wasn't a great hockey talent stand alone.

I wasn't sure what to make of that considering he was doing really well in San Jose a couple of years ago.

I think I would take a chance on Cheechoo if he could be signed for $1 or $1.5 million.

Might look at Nilsson for no more than $1 million.

I get the feeling that Cheechoo's offseason will be a lot like Afinogenov's last year. He'll wind up with a try out somewhere and then maybe luck his way into a deal below a million.

I don't follow much hockey outside of the Sabres but what percent of Cheechoo's goals were due to Thorton?

Most of them, but after that one season, he couldn't even score while skating with Thornton anymore. Something really strange happened there.

Most of them, but after that one season, he couldn't even score while skating with Thornton anymore. Something really strange happened there.

Ya, that was pretty mysterious. I saw the stats on his follow up season, and I looked at his TOI, something happen in his personal life?

I think it was mentioned on this board at time of the trade that Cheechoo was a product of the post lockout NHL. 17 goals in a 123 games? It looks like that was the case.

I've mentioned this before, but Drury has to be a candidate for a buyout. The Rangers love the ill-conceived splashy move, they don't care what it costs, they're under pressure to do something after having missed the playoffs last year, and Drury's 32-point $7.05MM cap hit, 2nd-highest on the team, is sitting in the middle of their cap like a big fat ham hock.

I'd be very surprised if he ended up back with the Sabres, but less surprised if the Rangers bought him out.

I've mentioned this before, but Drury has to be a candidate for a buyout. The Rangers love the ill-conceived splashy move, they don't care what it costs, they're under pressure to do something after having missed the playoffs last year, and Drury's 32-point $7.05MM cap hit, 2nd-highest on the team, is sitting in the middle of their cap like a big fat ham hock.

I'd be very surprised if he ended up back with the Sabres, but less surprised if the Rangers bought him out.

Taking the 4 year cap hit for buying him out would be a tough pill to swallow, but there really is no other good option on that roster. Redden is the other guy underachieving with a big deal, but he has way too many years left on that contract.

Archived