Buyout period begins 15th

spndnchz

I've mentioned this before, but Drury has to be a candidate for a buyout. The Rangers love the ill-conceived splashy move, they don't care what it costs, they're under pressure to do something after having missed the playoffs last year, and Drury's 32-point $7.05MM cap hit, 2nd-highest on the team, is sitting in the middle of their cap like a big fat ham hock.

I'd be very surprised if he ended up back with the Sabres, but less surprised if the Rangers bought him out.

I very much have been thinking the same thing. I think he's a serious buyout candidate. There's no way that salary can be justified with his performance. There is no way you can pay a 4th line forward $7.05 million, no way.

The one thing I disagree with you on your post is that I would not be all that surprised if he did come to Buffalo. Remember, he still gets paid 2/3 of his salary from the Rangers. So, you could offer him a very cap friendly $1.5-$2 million deal. Grier is here now, and his best years in his career were as a Sabre and under Lindy Ruff, which is why I wouldn't be that surprised if he were bought out and came back. I caveat that by saying I would not be at all surprised if he did not come back to the Sabres after being bought out either given the history and all that happened here and the GM, etc.

Althought, imagine if the Sabres signed Drury, Marleau, and brought in a defenseman like Kaberle through a trade. Now that's an impactful offseason, however I highly doubt any of these moves will be made, but it'd be exciting for sure. I can only dream of the opportunities. The cool part is that these transactions could actually be affordable if the Sabres don't re-sign Tallinder and Lydman and trade Stafford and Connolly. It's not that hard, but highly unlikely.

Althought, imagine if the Sabres signed Drury, Marleau, and brought in a defenseman like Kaberle through a trade. Now that's an impactful offseason, however I highly doubt any of these moves will be made, but it'd be exciting for sure. I can only dream of the opportunities. The cool part is that these transactions could actually be affordable if the Sabres don't re-sign Tallinder and Lydman and trade Stafford and Connolly. It's not that hard, but highly unlikely.

oooooooooooooooohhhhhh. Post it again.

Rumored Canes Brind'Amour and Samsonov may be bought out. Brind'Amour $3 mill and Samsonov $2.8 mil in final year of their contracts.

IIRC, Samsonov has been a perennially consistent underachiever. He seems like the Bart Simpson of hockey.

Rumored Canes Brind'Amour and Samsonov may be bought out. Brind'Amour $3 mill and Samsonov $2.8 mil in final year of their contracts.

I'm not sure if there are two players I'd want on the team less, well, outside of Connolly and Stafford.

Remember, he still gets paid 2/3 of his salary from the Rangers. So, you could offer him a very cap friendly $1.5-$2 million deal.

Why does everyone insist that a player can be paid less just because some other team is giving him a buyout payment? He will get paid what the market will bear. If his services are worth $3 million to teams, then he gets paid that much whether he is a traditional UFA or one due to a buyout. I suppose that he might be slightly more willing to take a small amount less from the right team ($5 to $4.5 million is easier to take that $3 to $2.5 million), but in general, market forces will prevail.

Why does everyone insist that a player can be paid less just because some other team is giving him a buyout payment? He will get paid what the market will bear. If his services are worth $3 million to teams, then he gets paid that much whether he is a traditional UFA or one due to a buyout. I suppose that he might be slightly more willing to take a small amount less from the right team ($5 to $4.5 million is easier to take that $3 to $2.5 million), but in general, market forces will prevail.

Some might think that something to the effect of a hometown discount could come into play with certain guys, but I would think that being bought out would sting quite a bit. That would make it even more likely for a guy to get as much as he could possibly get.

Good call. If Drury is bought out I'd estimate he'd get $2.75MM to $3.5MM per year as a UFA.

Sure, I agree with all of that, but what's the market for a 4th line forward on the New York Rangers that has substantially underachieved his $7.05 million contract? Is it really $7.05 million? No way in ######. Is it $5 million? No. In my opinion, I believe the market for Drury given his severe underperformance of his contract and the fact that he's become a 4th line forward on a bad Rangers team would indicate that at best his market value is about $2 million. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think. A 4th line captain isn't worth $7.05 million, $5 million, or even $3 million in my book. That's why I think he could be signed for $2 million with the rest coming from the Rangers, but that's my opinion.

Sure, I agree with all of that, but what's the market for a 4th line forward on the New York Rangers that has substantially underachieved his $7.05 million contract? Is it really $7.05 million? No way in ######. Is it $5 million? No. In my opinion, I believe the market for Drury given his severe underperformance of his contract and the fact that he's become a 4th line forward on a bad Rangers team would indicate that at best his market value is about $2 million. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I think. A 4th line captain isn't worth $7.05 million, $5 million, or even $3 million in my book. That's why I think he could be signed for $2 million with the rest coming from the Rangers, but that's my opinion.

While I disagree that his market value is quite that low, my point wasn't to argue with your numbers, as much as was to argue with the line that preceded it. Whether intentional or not, you implied that we could sign him for $1-2 million because he's also getting paid by the Rangers. If you think that he's only worth $1-2 million, regardless of the buyout, that's fine.

I'm not sure if there are two players I'd want on the team less, well, outside of Connolly and Stafford.

Agreed. Makes me wonder why Samsonov hasn't gone to play in the KHL, given his absolutely lackluster effort on this side of the pond.

Agreed. Makes me wonder why Samsonov hasn't gone to play in the KHL, given his absolutely lackluster effort on this side of the pond.

I would guess the reason is that he knows the NHL is the best league and that the KHL will always be there for him when he gets to the point that he can't get a respectable NHL contract.

I thought I read Jeremy White write that the Sabres could save $2 mil on this years cap by buying out Rivet. Is this true?

Does it matter? The team has already said in the past that they don't believe in buying out contracts, and with the news that Rivet played all year hurt, they just bought themselves a perfect excuse to save the time and effort it would take to cut him. Theres no way they bump him, its probably more likely they give him all the A's to go with the C on his jersey just cause he played all year with a hurt shoulder

Does it matter? The team has already said in the past that they don't believe in buying out contracts, and with the news that Rivet played all year hurt, they just bought themselves a perfect excuse to save the time and effort it would take to cut him. Theres no way they bump him, its probably more likely they give him all the A's to go with the C on his jersey just cause he played all year with a hurt shoulder

I think someone looked it up at some point, an injured player can't be bought out.

That sounds right, but I think APus has the right reason that the Sabres won't buy him out. I have no problem with this reason, btw, as the Sabres only have a certain amount they can spend on payroll. If they "burn" $2MM on a buyout, that is $2MM less they will spend on active players.

That sounds right, but I think APus has the right reason that the Sabres won't buy him out. I have no problem with this reason, btw, as the Sabres only have a certain amount they can spend on payroll. If they "burn" $2MM on a buyout, that is $2MM less they will spend on active players.

I know you both are right. I just find any other reason than what is best for the team and best for the product that is put on the ice unacceptable. I find it hard to believe that this team's main focus is winning a Stanley Cup when they not only are wasting a roster spot on a player who clearly can not help them achieve that goal, they are also ignoring a reasonable solution to rectify the situation.

I know you both are right. I just find any other reason than what is best for the team and best for the product that is put on the ice unacceptable. I find it hard to believe that this team's main focus is winning a Stanley Cup when they not only are wasting a roster spot on a player who clearly can not help them achieve that goal, they are also ignoring a reasonable solution to rectify the situation.

The only thing that matters is what is best for the "bottom line" (i.e. turning a profit). They are probably looking at keeping him as a financial gain, maybe they think more people will get his jersey and become bigger fans because of how courageous and tough he was to "play through the pain" and show he is a "leader" by taking shots a guys who took time off for "lesser injuries"

Otherway, it doesn't matter how much it helps to buy someone out, the Sabres GM won't do it cause its not part of their "policy". I don't really have a big issue with getting rid of Rivet, I'm sure the injury affected his performance this year, so hopefully he returns this year and steps it up, there are others who have no excuse for their poor year

I thought I read Jeremy White write that the Sabres could save $2 mil on this years cap by buying out Rivet. Is this true?

He would have a cap hit of $1.167 million for the next two seasons (note: the method that he described in his article was just for the salaries, as the cap hits can do strange things during the remaining years if the player's salary changes during the term of contract; Rivet's does not, so it's easy.) They would save $2.333 million off of this year's cap, but pick up $1.167 million on next year's cap.

Does it matter? The team has already said in the past that they don't believe in buying out contracts

Yeah, Darcy said that he won't burn money that way. While I disagree that it is always burning money, he really has to ask himself if he can get a better player for the amount saved. While not quite the same due to the doubling of the term, it's basically a question of whether you can improve that roster spot with someone who costs 1/3 as much.

I think someone looked it up at some point, an injured player can't be bought out.

I did and you cannot. Actually, you can, but they can and will sue with the backing of the NHLPA. Basically, they'd have to argue that his injuries were not due to playing for the Sabres. While that is partially true, they would still probably lose.

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess the reason is that he knows the NHL is the best league and that the KHL will always be there for him when he gets to the point that he can't get a respectable NHL contract.

True, but the problem is that he has long worn out his welcome and his usefulness in the NHL. He always seems to flourish briefly in a change of scenery, only to revert back to his old self. No team should put up with that kind of performance from a journeyman player.

Archived