"You know they won the division this year..."

AktionT4

Well, they kinda made it clear that they weren't interested in bringing back a couple of the big FAs (Koivu, who was their captain, and Kovalev), and I think they made a lowball offer to Komisarek. When you combine that with the Gomez trade, it's pretty close to a blow-the-team-up situation, IMHO.

But only once the contracts actually expired. I realize it's mostly a matter of semantics, but I'd think that the typical idea of blowing it all up is exactly what a few people on this board want to see the Sabres do with their current situation. That's all about cutting your losses on a bunch of guys well before the contracts expires, instead of waiting and letting time take care of that for you.

But only once the contracts actually expired. I realize it's mostly a matter of semantics, but I'd think that the typical idea of blowing it all up is exactly what a few people on this board want to see the Sabres do with their current situation. That's all about cutting your losses on a bunch of guys well before the contracts expires, instead of waiting and letting time take care of that for you.

You mean like not trading away or releasing a player when his skills are gone, you just wait until he retires?

You know why I hate it?

Because the regular season means Jack-Schit.

You know how Montreal and Philly finished this year? Back of the pack.

The only thing that matters is winning 16 in the postseason once you've earned the right to play there in the first 82.

That's it.

People who think like this are miserable SOB's who leap from one disappointment to the next.

If you aren't enjoying the 82 game season then why bother? It's a game... a form of ENTERTAINMENT. It is meant to be enjoyed. All sports are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Your crappy life doesn't change one iota if the Sabres win a championship. And bitching and moaning every step of the way takes something meaningless and turns it into a negative. The season is too long and too many hours are devoted to the sport to do anything else but try and enjoy it the best you can. Anything else is a foolish waste of time.

People who think like this are miserable SOB's who leap from one disappointment to the next.

If you aren't enjoying the 82 game season then why bother? It's a game... a form of ENTERTAINMENT. It is meant to be enjoyed. All sports are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Your crappy life doesn't change one iota if the Sabres win a championship. And bitching and moaning every step of the way takes something meaningless and turns it into a negative. The season is too long and too many hours are devoted to the sport to do anything else but try and enjoy it the best you can. Anything else is a foolish waste of time.

This comes from the guy whose sole contribution to the board during the playoffs was, "Gerbe fell down again."

If you aren't enjoying the 82 game season then why bother? It's a game... a form of ENTERTAINMENT. It is meant to be enjoyed. All sports are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Your crappy life doesn't change one iota if the Sabres win a championship. And bitching and moaning every step of the way takes something meaningless and turns it into a negative. The season is too long and too many hours are devoted to the sport to do anything else but try and enjoy it the best you can. Anything else is foolish waste of time.

(golf clap) It's always good to hear from the 'King of The Pollyannas'. Pollyannas, that group of fans that don't believe expectations and accountability belong in sports. Pollyannas, that group of Stepford Fans who believe that any fan that doesn't remain silent and simply sit there with a smile is "foolishly wasting their time." Pollyannas, that group of fans that don't believe that "we'll get em next year" is just a saying, they believe it's a lifestyle.

Scott, reading how you try to downplay the importance of the Sabres to this community makes me wonder if you know anything at all about this community. We are a community that wears it's heart on it's sleeve when it comes to the sports team. Not all the emotions are positive. Not all of the fans have your ability to pretend flaws don't exist. Not all have your ability to ignore a front office that is either unwilling to or incapable of addressing those flaws. In the end it comes down that to you and others just being happy to have a team. I and others who have followed for 40 years now? We would like a little more.

(golf clap) It's always good to hear from the 'King of The Pollyannas'. Pollyannas, that group of fans that don't believe expectations and accountability belong in sports. Pollyannas, that group of Stepford Fans who believe that any fan that doesn't remain silent and simply sit there with a smile is "foolishly wasting their time." Pollyannas, that group of fans that don't believe that "we'll get em next year" is just a saying, they believe it's a lifestyle.

Scott, reading how you try to downplay the importance of the Sabres to this community makes me wonder if you know anything at all about this community. We are a community that wears it's heart on it's sleeve when it comes to the sports team. Not all the emotions are positive. Not all of the fans have your ability to pretend flaws don't exist. Not all have your ability to ignore a front office that is either unwilling to or incapable of addressing those flaws. In the end it comes down that to you and others just being happy to have a team. I and others who have followed for 40 years now? We would like a little more.

Those of us on the other side of the line of sanity understand your frustration but there is a large gap between frustration and some of the "blow the whole thing up" ramblings that seem to have overtaken this board.

Those of us on the other side of the line of sanity understand your frustration but there is a large gap between frustration and some of the "blow the whole thing up" ramblings that seem to have overtaken this board.

There is a fine line between living in denial and sanity. Hopefully someday I can pull you across that line.

The frustration is that the "small tweak" theory hasn't worked in 13 years. The only time it bore any fruit was when it was aided by the two year rule changes. It's time for something different and it's not like we rushed into this. It's been 13 years for ####s sake.

The frustration is that the "small tweak" theory hasn't worked in 13 years. The only time it bore any fruit was when it was aided by the two year rule changes. It's time for something different and it's not like we rushed into this. It's been 13 years for ####s sake.

There is nothing that can be done about the first 10 years. This team is 3 years old and has gotten better every year. Besides there is a lot of steps between "small tweak" and " blow it up." Bringing in a top 3 forward isn't a small tweak and in my opinion, makes them a Cup contender.

There is nothing that can be done about the first 10 years. This team is 3 years old and has gotten better every year. Besides there is a lot of steps between "small tweak" and " blow it up." Bringing in a top 3 forward isn't a small tweak and in my opinion, makes them a Cup contender.

I can't remember, where you in agreement with me when Kovi was available?

I would have traded for him and think he would have made a difference. Like I said, I didn't say I wasn't frustrated with some of the decisions or lack of decisions.

It's just funny, I said what you are saying now at the deadline when Kovi was available. I thought with the year Miller was having anything was possible. I don't believe Miller can continue to carry this team on his back. They need to balance out the roster to truly be competitive. The roster as it is now is completely out of balance.

Thanks for missing the point...

For one, I'm not whining, bitching or moaning about anything and I'm hardly a miserable SOB. I'm making a point that finishing first overall in the regular season doesn't mean a damned thing in the NHL and the people who like to relate the Sabres divisional win and subsequent loss in the 1st round as an embarrassing defeat can go jump off the Skyway. My frustration is pointed at people who think that the Sabres regular season success should translate directly into post season wins. This is a team that can play regular season hockey well enough to compete but simply does not have "it" to compete once the playoffs start. You'd be a fool if you thought regular season performance guarantees post season success because in this league - it doesn't.

I make reference to the regular season meaning "Jack-schit" to simply point out that throughout the entirety of the 82 game season, what you're experiencing on ice is just a different brand of hockey compared to what it takes to win in the playoffs.

It doesn't mean it's not entertaining because regular season hockey is compelling - but being compelling, entertaining and fun to watch doesn't have anything to do with being a cup contender.

This comes from the guy whose sole contribution to the board during the playoffs was, "Gerbe fell down again."

LOL

In all fairness though, Gerbe did spent a lot of time on his backside.

Kinda like Roy, on the few occasions he decided to go into areas where contact was a given like Gerbe did.

At least one of them tried.

Joke's on Regier, or rather on all of us who had to watch.

It's not a linear progression with sports teams. Not as much as in the past, anyway. I don't feel this "manifest destiny" with this group of players. Last season was so schizo -- who knows what next year will bring? Is this an 88-point team out of the playoffs, or a 110-point top seed? It could have been either last season.

It's just funny, I said what you are saying now at the deadline when Kovi was available. I thought with the year Miller was having anything was possible. I don't believe Miller can continue to carry this team on his back. They need to balance out the roster to truly be competitive. The roster as it is now is completely out of balance.

Speaking of Kovi, how big of an effect did that have on the Sabres' psyche? Regier's defeatist, defensive comments at the time might not have played well in the lockerroom. Not getting him couldn't have shocked the players, but that the GM came out and so boldly defended the idea of not even going after the guy might have planted a terrible idea in their heads.

The other hit on the team's fragile mindset probably came on that West Coast trip when sitting near the top of the league standings, they wanted to test themselves against the league's best. They lost all of those measuring stick games. Amazing, isn't it, that a team near the top of the league around New Year's got knocked out in the first round, while Philly, which was sitting in 29th at x-mastime is in the final.

Philly made a coaching change that profoundly changed the mindset of its players. Like a breath of fresh air. There have been a few examples where coaching changes made a difference over the last...oh 100 years.

Speaking of Kovi, how big of an effect did that have on the Sabres' psyche? Regier's defeatist, defensive comments at the time might not have played well in the lockerroom. Not getting him couldn't have shocked the players, but that the GM came out and so boldly defended the idea of not even going after the guy might have planted a terrible idea in their heads.

The other hit on the team's fragile mindset probably came on that West Coast trip when sitting near the top of the league standings, they wanted to test themselves against the league's best. They lost all of those measuring stick games. Amazing, isn't it, that a team near the top of the league around New Year's got knocked out in the first round, while Philly, which was sitting in 29th at x-mastime is in the final.

The Pens were behind the Sabres last season, made changes and just blew right past the Sabres. You can't remain stagnate and expect to win in the NHL. The players know this. They will come out and say the right things to the media. They have to know realistically how far away they actually are to contending for a Cup. They have to wonder like fans do would things have been different if a 50 goal scorer was added. I know one thing for sure. The power play could have only been better.

Thanks for missing the point...

For one, I'm not whining, bitching or moaning about anything and I'm hardly a miserable SOB. I'm making a point that finishing first overall in the regular season doesn't mean a damned thing in the NHL and the people who like to relate the Sabres divisional win and subsequent loss in the 1st round as an embarrassing defeat can go jump off the Skyway. My frustration is pointed at people who think that the Sabres regular season success should translate directly into post season wins. This is a team that can play regular season hockey well enough to compete but simply does not have "it" to compete once the playoffs start. You'd be a fool if you thought regular season performance guarantees post season success because in this league - it doesn't.

I make reference to the regular season meaning "Jack-schit" to simply point out that throughout the entirety of the 82 game season, what you're experiencing on ice is just a different brand of hockey compared to what it takes to win in the playoffs.

It doesn't mean it's not entertaining because regular season hockey is compelling - but being compelling, entertaining and fun to watch doesn't have anything to do with being a cup contender.

They played 6 games and you have determined conclusively that they are not built for the playoffs? That series, like most this year, could have gone either way. Roy and Connolly, two guys who have had success in playoffs past, came up short. That's all that can definitively can be stated about those 6 games.

They played 6 games and you have determined conclusively that they are not built for the playoffs? That series, like most this year, could have gone either way. Roy and Connolly, two guys who have had success in playoffs past, came up short. That's all that can definitively can be stated about those 6 games.

Zero goals in his last 22 playoff games. It's been a while, and that's your "1" center.

Were you really surprised that they got knocked out in the first round?

Putting aside the crapy life bit, I agree with your assesment on the entertainment side of this comment. And I am entertained with 82 games a season. Its fun to watch them, and win or lose, watching the game, especially with the Sabres gives folks in the region a sense that they are a part of this entertainment.

You could just say that people such as myself want increased value of the entertainment via a Stanley Cup. Thats probably the best way I can describe how I feel on it in any event. But, it is fun to watch them to be sure.

Zero goals in his last 22 playoff games. It's been a while, and that's your "1" center.

Were you really surprised that they got knocked out in the first round?

Those 22 games include the 6 games from this season. The other 16 games are the entire 2007 post season, where he had literally just returned from his concussion. I don't think it's crazy for them to have expected something from him going into this post season. That ship has sailed now though.

Those 22 games include the 6 games from this season. The other 16 games are the entire 2007 post season, where he had literally just returned from his concussion. I don't think it's crazy for them to have expected something from him going into this post season. That ship has sailed now though.

I believe that chemistry is very important in hockey, more than any other sport. I thought that inserting him back into the lineup with two games left in the season was a HUGE mistake.

EDIT: I should clarify that I thought it was a mistake because of the Gray Cloud factor, not because of the concussion.

Philly made a coaching change that profoundly changed the mindset of its players. Like a breath of fresh air. There have been a few examples where coaching changes made a difference over the last...oh 100 years.

Yeah, but none of those coaches replaced were called Lindy Ruff, were they?

Clearly it wouldn't have worked out for the better had this been the case. No really, it wouldn't.

Archived