A Player Per Day: No. 63: Tyler Ennis

Eleven

43 members have voted

1. 1. How I feel about this player:

• 5: Must keep under any circumstances.
    • 4: Would like to keep; would trade only for a great return (if under contract) or would pay a premium to re-sign (if FA).
    • 3: Don't care if he stays or goes; would make a fair trade (if under contract) or pay somewhat above current salary to re-sign (if FA).
    • 2: Don't want him on the team, really; would trade for a somewhat lesser return (if under contract) or sign at current or lower salary (if FA).
    • 1: Get this guy off of the team, no matter what it takes.

I'm going to tally the scores (I know, I'm behind; there was and is a family situation that is interfering with free time); in one week, I will start a thread with all of the averages for all of the players.

At the beginning of this poll, I said I would do something similar for coaches and front office. I'm not going to, for two reasons, and whoever would like to do it is welcome to. (The reasons: (1) I'm really not sure how to give criteria for the grades, and (2), well, see what follows.)

After the player grades are done, I'm taking a break from this board for a little while. There are a few people who have transitioned from disagreement to just being disagreeable, and frankly, I want no part of it. SabreSpace is fun for me, not work. TBD always is there if I want a crappy environment.

When I can get to it this week, I'll finish up the guys in the high 20s, 30s, and low 40s; I'll finish the rest of it next Sunday, and it will be interesting to see the conclusions drawn from the data (which, as Carp is my witness, is not scientific!).

After the player grades are done, I'm taking a break from this board for a little while. There are a few people who have transitioned from disagreement to just being disagreeable, and frankly, I want no part of it. SabreSpace is fun for me, not work. TBD always is there if I want a crappy environment.

Not good. I need some sanity to get me through my work day.

I'm going to tally the scores (I know, I'm behind; there was and is a family situation that is interfering with free time); in one week, I will start a thread with all of the averages for all of the players.

At the beginning of this poll, I said I would do something similar for coaches and front office. I'm not going to, for two reasons, and whoever would like to do it is welcome to. (The reasons: (1) I'm really not sure how to give criteria for the grades, and (2), well, see what follows.)

When I can get to it this week, I'll finish up the guys in the high 20s, 30s, and low 40s; I'll finish the rest of it next Sunday, and it will be interesting to see the conclusions drawn from the data (which, as Carp is my witness, is not scientific!).

All your work on this is greatly appreciated. I have really enjoyed these polls and the discussions they have inspired. I know that we got into it a little bit last week and just want to say that if I fall into the disagreeable catigory, I apologize and also blame my "family situation". I'm actually surprised at how sour I have become about this team and a break is probably a good idea.

One of him or Gerbe needs to go. Too many mighty mites on this team.

So, if I had my choice, I'd keep Ennis. Loved his play and hustle. Gerbe wasn't bad, but didn't show me as much as Ennis did.

I think Roy, Gerbe and Ennis make the Sabres very small in the forward ranks, but as long as the 3 of them are on separate lines, I'd be okay with it(even though 2 smurfs on the team would seem to be pushing the limit). I know I am in the minority here, but I don't see any reason why Gerbe can't be on the 3rd or 4th line. I'm not buying the "He needs to be on one of the top 2 lines or there is no place for him" mentality.

He showed something in every game he played this year which says something for someone of his stature.Even the big men will disappear for a game or two here and there.Ennis was contributing every game he played and at times had the ability to bring people out of their seats.I voted a 5 because I believe we need to see more of what he can do before we can make a judgement of what he's worth to give away.Another one that could come back to haunt this team for years to come if traded so early.

He showed something in every game he played this year which says something for someone of his stature.Even the big men will disappear for a game or two here and there.Ennis was contributing every game he played and at times had the ability to bring people out of their seats.I voted a 5 because I believe we need to see more of what he can do before we can make a judgement of what he's worth to give away.Another one that could come back to haunt this team for years to come if traded so early.

I voted 4.

The only thing that scares me about Ennis is that I've seen him called up here before, and after a few seasons under Ruff, he went from being an asset to one of the team's major roster issues.

He played with #9 back then.

I did the same and found it very refreshing. Now, of course, I'm hooked again. Come back soon.

+1, although you need to start hitting the space bar between sentences.

I voted 4.

The only thing that scares me about Ennis is that I've seen him called up here before, and after a few seasons under Ruff, he went from being an asset to one of the team's major roster issues.

He played with #9 back then.

That wasn't Lindy's doing. That came from inside. Otherwise, the same would've happened with guys like Drury, Briere, Dumont, Miller, etc.

That wasn't Lindy's doing. That came from inside. Otherwise, the same would've happened with guys like Drury, Briere, Dumont, Miller, etc.

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't think Dumont is comparable to Roy in terms of position and role on the team, and neither Briere or Drury came up through the system, so I don't think that's the best comparison either.

That leaves us with Miller - The only player I can think of off the top of my head who seemingly has managed to truly take his game to the next level under Ruff.

Not a good track record after 12 years.

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't think Dumont is comparable to Roy in terms of position and role on the team, and neither Briere or Drury came up through the system, so I don't think that's the best comparison either.

That leaves us with Miller - The only player I can think of off the top of my head who seemingly has managed to truly take his game to the next level under Ruff.

Not a good track record after 12 years.

Soupy.

Soupy.

Debatable, I think.

Don't get me wrong, he was one of the better puck moving defensemen in the league, but even though he's priced like Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski and Chris Pronger, I don't see him in the same league as those players.

But for the sake of argument, let's say he is.

That's 2 players in 12 years. Still some pretty horrible numbers, if you ask me.

Debatable, I think.

Don't get me wrong, he was one of the better puck moving defensemen in the league, but even though he's priced like Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski and Chris Pronger, I don't see him in the same league as those players.

That's 2 players in 12 years. Still some pretty horrible numbers, if you ask me.

Well, if you're saying that Lindy hasn't turned his players into stars, I guess I can't argue that one too much. But I think there is only so much a coach can do. It's not like Lindy's been presented with Crosby and Ovechkin and has turned them into Grier and Kaleta. I think it's fair to look at the situation another way and consider that there hasn't been a single player that has left the Sabres and done better elsewhere, unless you want to count Max's rebirth this year, which was really just putting up numbers on a bad team (numbers which exceeded a couple of times when he was on the Sabres, btw).

I'll also point out that although Vanek certainly had a disappointing year this year, Lindy got 25, 44, 36 and 40 goals out of him in his first 4 years, which is pretty good.

As for Soupy, I think he is the poster child for developing an NHL defenseman over time. There were quite a few seasons in which he couldn't get on the ice without coughing the puck up repeatedly in the defensive zone. Lindy brought him along slowly but surely and turned him into a star (although one who I agree is overpaid and is not as good as Chara or Pronger).

Well, if you're saying that Lindy hasn't turned his players into stars, I guess I can't argue that one too much. But I think there is only so much a coach can do. It's not like Lindy's been presented with Crosby and Ovechkin and has turned them into Grier and Kaleta. I think it's fair to look at the situation another way and consider that there hasn't been a single player that has left the Sabres and done better elsewhere, unless you want to count Max's rebirth this year, which was really just putting up numbers on a bad team (numbers which exceeded a couple of times when he was on the Sabres, btw).

I'll also point out that although Vanek certainly had a disappointing year this year, Lindy got 25, 44, 36 and 40 goals out of him in his first 4 years, which is pretty good.

As for Soupy, I think he is the poster child for developing an NHL defenseman over time. There were quite a few seasons in which he couldn't get on the ice without coughing the puck up repeatedly in the defensive zone. Lindy brought him along slowly but surely and turned him into a star (although one who I agree is overpaid and is not as good as Chara or Pronger).

God this debate is so old I want to gouge my eyes out. I just wish there was an end in sight.

Debatable, I think.

So not being on Niedermayer/Rafalski/Pronger level means that he doesn't fit with your original statement? Like nfreeman said, he clearly became a much better player than he was through those early years in his career. Now if you want to say Lindy has a very low rate of turning players into stars, you're right. We can say the same thing about every other coach in the history of the game.

I probably should've been a little more specific - When I talk about "taking his game to the next level", I don't necessarily mean in terms of numbers only, but also things like assuming a leadership role on the team.

IMHO, the only player who's done anything like that under Ruff, is Miller. I don't think Campbell was ever a leader either.

Vanek's had some great offensive seasons, but like other forwards such as Roy, Pominville and Connolly, he still appears as if he would be a lot more comfortable taking a backseat to someone like Briere or Drury.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

A guy like Peca in 1997-1998 is a good example of what I mean in terms of taking his game to the next level. LaFontaine went down and eventually was dealt, and Peca emerged. Not as a gifted offensive threat like Patty, but as different kind of leader on the ice.

So not being on Niedermayer/Rafalski/Pronger level means that he doesn't fit with your original statement? Like nfreeman said, he clearly became a much better player than he was through those early years in his career. Now if you want to say Lindy has a very low rate of turning players into stars, you're right. We can say the same thing about every other coach in the history of the game.

Please see above, I'm not talking strictly numbers, and the only reason for the comparison of Campbell to the other three guys are because of their salaries.

Please see above, I'm not talking strictly numbers, and the only reason for the comparison of Campbell to the other three guys are because of their salaries.

Yeah, I've got you. You have to love when people are typing up posts at the same time. Personally, I hate to get into the whole leadership thing because we don't see half of what makes these guys good or bad leaders. What I wonder though is why you wouldn't count the Drurys and Brieres of the world. Sure, their time was limited, but they hadn't really done much on the NHL level before coming here. No one questions that they were those guys, but they definitely took it further here than they did anywhere else previously in their careers. Ok, that may have been a result of something they picked up pre-Buffalo, but Ruff could have just as easily had an impact.

Archived